Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

But you don't have to buy a loaded one for it to be comparable to a Platinum Explorer.
Old 01-02-21, 03:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. I'm sure Hyundai/Genesis corporate knows what needs to been done to improve the dealership and buying experience and it's got to be frustrating that the current Genesis dealership network is all over the place. It will be interesting to see what happens and if the dealers and Genesis brand can work together better.
Hyundai definitely knows this. But if there are investors out there, then franchises would be sold. 6 years the brand has been standalone...at some point the brand will lose its ability to take off....

And rich people who buy expensive stuff will absolutely buy a product if it is good enough

I just don’t see the brand taking off
Old 01-02-21, 04:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You certainly have some Explorer buyers who buy because its American, but not all. I think there are definitely Explorer buyers to be picked off there, especially those who are looking at the Platinum Explorer.
I dont know if thats true, the GV80 starts at $48,500, which is $12,000 cheaper than a loaded Explorer. It can compete with both.
I am sure it is true. But I would be more impressed if the current Hyundai Palisade or KIA Candeza buyer makes the jump within the brand to a Genesis.

Watching all the reviews...the powertrains are still behind compared to all of the establishment
Old 01-02-21, 04:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Hyundai definitely knows this. But if there are investors out there, then franchises would be sold. 6 years the brand has been standalone...at some point the brand will lose its ability to take off....

And rich people who buy expensive stuff will absolutely buy a product if it is good enough

Genesis has only been standalone since 2017, so 3 years.
Old 01-02-21, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Genesis has only been standalone since 2017, so 3 years.
I meant to say MY. So now in the 5th model year
Old 01-02-21, 07:13 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I love how people are still pretending that nobody would be looking at the GV80 at a time when dealers can't keep them stocked even at $10K above the MSRP. Buyers aren't ignorant badge suckers as some would hope they are.
Old 01-02-21, 08:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
You can probably get some of the $60K German buyers to convert (me included), the $80K+ you will probably not. On most German brands, you're not getting nearly as much most of the tie. The dealership experience, however, needs to be equivalent - if not better.

As many here have probably experienced, there is a big difference in walking into a "luxury" dealer vs others a lot of times. It goes beyond just the aesthetics though, and until Genesis/Hyundai figures that part out, it may be difficult to seriously compete for that $60K+ buyer.

I know I would not want to shop for Lexus at a Toyota dealer and have that experience... That said, some of my recent Lexus dealership experiences haven't been great...
I just bought a $100K lexus without setting foot in a dealer and my nearest dealer is about 90mi. away.
the couple i saw buy a GV80 right under my nose at the local hyundai dealership also own a bentley and other luxury cars. dealer didn't matter to them in the slightest. and they traded in a G90 on the GV80.
of course those are just a couple of anecdotes... i agree with everyone here that genesis will need a better dealer experience and i have no doubt genesis corp is well aware of it. They got off to a rocky start, then re-signed all the dealers who wanted to sell genesis with a separate agreement, so now they can pick and choose who they want and what they will require them to do. I expect genesis to innovate here also.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
i disagree on your last point if the product keeps getting stronger.

they supposedly will have an EV this year, which may possibly beat lexus to the market (i know they have the ux-e in some markets but it's quite unimpressive).

Originally Posted by Motorola
I love how people are still pretending that nobody would be looking at the GV80 at a time when dealers can't keep them stocked even at $10K above the MSRP. Buyers aren't ignorant badge suckers as some would hope they are.
Supply is so limited that over msrp pricing isn't surprising. And obviously we don't know what new gv80 buyers are coming out of or what else they have.

while buyers like steve (SW17LS) like having a close personal relationship with lexus and now mercedes dealers, i'm ok communicating with them once a year at most and ideally never setting foot in one for sales or service.
Old 01-02-21, 08:41 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Supply is so limited that over msrp pricing isn't surprising. And obviously we don't know what new gv80 buyers are coming out of or what else they have.
The Kia K900 has even more limited supply, but you don't see anyone fighting over that car or paying markups for it.

With the limited supply, I don't think it matters where the buyers are coming from. Whether buyers care about the dealership experience purchasing the GV80 is irrelevant at the moment given the current demand. What we know is that most of the sales (based on preorders) are for the top trims with the V6, and people don't mind paying the extra markups for them. The car has been out for a month out and yet supply still remains pretty low. From Hyundai's perspective, like the Telluride and Palisade, the GV80 is doing very well because the demand exceeds their production capacity. The question is whether they have the ability to ramp up production to match that demand. Any dealership upgrades will be pointless if they can't make enough of the product to sell.
Old 01-02-21, 09:15 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I just bought a $100K lexus without setting foot in a dealer and my nearest dealer is about 90mi. away.
the couple i saw buy a GV80 right under my nose at the local hyundai dealership also own a bentley and other luxury cars. dealer didn't matter to them in the slightest. and they traded in a G90 on the GV80.
of course those are just a couple of anecdotes... i agree with everyone here that genesis will need a better dealer experience and i have no doubt genesis corp is well aware of it.
There is a case to be made about the dealership "experience" becoming more of a moot point if/when majority of sales are done online vs in person...

I was curious about inventory levels near me for the GV80 and it looks like there are 27 available at the three nearest dealers; 16 3.5s and 11 2.5s. Interestingly, none of the dealers are showing mark-up in their online pricing.
Old 01-02-21, 09:22 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I was curious about inventory levels near me for the GV80 and it looks like there are 27 available at the three nearest dealers; 16 3.5s and 11 2.5s. Interestingly, none of the dealers are showing mark-up in their online pricing.
You should compare that number to how many RX's, MDX's, X5's, GLE's, etc. are available in the same distance. Guarantee you that each one will have 3-5 times more inventory compared to the GV80.
Old 01-02-21, 09:36 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
You should compare that number to how many RX's, MDX's, X5's, GLE's, etc. are available in the same distance. Guarantee you that each one will have 3-5 times more inventory compared to the GV80.
3-5x? Yeah, any single dealer may have 3-5x that amount of those cars in my area (Bay Area/Silicon Valley)... haha I'm not going to check, but I'd guess if I were to check dealers in the same three locations as those Genesis dealers, I'd find more like 7-10x of the models you mentioned.

My point wasn't to suggest that 27 is a lot - I was just stating what's available in my market and the mix. Also, that I'm a little surprised they aren't showing any mark-up. I know the Telluride certainly is still being marked-up $5-7K in most cases.
Old 01-02-21, 09:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

nterestingly, none of the dealers are showing mark-up in their online pricing.
I haven’t seen any evidence of GV80 selling for a mark up. My guess is that it is just under MSRP

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-02-21 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-02-21, 10:38 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genesis offered an intro lease deal:
Genesis' first luxury SUV may be arriving late to the party but a handful of deals may get shoppers' attention. Although the brand hasn't started advertising offers yet for the 2021 GV80, a dealer incentive bulletin has given us a sneak peek at specials like a $589/month lease deal and low-interest financing for up to 72 months.According to a letter sent to dealers yesterday, Genesis will begin offering GV80 incentives next week on November 3. Those looking to buy will find 1.9% APR for up to 60 months, with a 72-month option at 2.5%. With a $50,000 SUV, a 5-year loan at 1.9% potentially saves just over $4,100 in interest versus a loan at 5%.

You can also lease a GV80 from $589 for 36 months with $5,499 due at signing. That's based on an MSRP of $49,925, 10,000 miles per year, and equates to an effective cost of $742/month. To put that into perspective, that's over $100 (per month) less than current offers on the 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE350 ($844).

Those looking for more performance may find the optional 3.5T engine a better deal because it offers $1,000 in lease cash that you can't get with the 2.5T. The bigger engine also has a slightly lower interest rate equivalent to 4.1% APR (vs. 4.5%). You can lease one from $699/month with $5,499 due at signing.

So is the GV80 a good deal? That depends. Although it certainly isn't a cheap lease, it does substantially undercut competitors. Still, the lack of rebates could be disappointing considering BMW is offering up to $3,000 in incentives plus 0.9% financing on all remaining 2020 X5s as part of a model-year-end sale event.

Still, we think these are solid introductory offers. The 3.5T clearly offers a slight advantage with the extra $1,000 in lease cash on the base version and $750 in the case of the 3.5T Advanced. What remains to be seen is whether or not Genesis will introduce a loyalty discount or a conquest bonus for switching brands.

Interestingly, GV80 leases will start $50/month higher than the restyled 2021 G80 sedan. The G80 is listed at $539 for 36 months with the same amount at signing. That said, a closer look reveals that G80 leases will offer anywhere from $750 to as much as $2,250 in lease cash on some styles to help drive down the cost.

When the GV80 arrives this fall, it'll have some catching up to do. While it was one of our most-anticipated summer debuts, the SUV was delayed due to the pandemic. It will also face competitors with better deals. For example, 2020 Lincoln Aviators feature rates as low as 0% APR plus up to $3,000 here in California.

Offers for the GV80 will end on January 4, 2021. Stay tuned for possible changes for Black Friday.
https://www.carsdirect.com/deals-art...nth-lease-deal
Old 01-03-21, 03:11 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

3-5x? Yeah, any single dealer may have 3-5x that amount of those cars in my area (Bay Area/Silicon Valley)... haha I'm not going to check, but I'd guess if I were to check dealers in the same three locations as those Genesis dealers, I'd find more like 7-10x of the models you mentioned.

My point wasn't to suggest that 27 is a lot - I was just stating what's available in my market and the mix. Also, that I'm a little surprised they aren't showing any mark-up. I know the Telluride certainly is still being marked-up $5-7K in most cases.
Online listings can be misleading. Because it's such a new car, most GV80 listings don't have photos yet, which means it's likely not yet on the lot and dealers are just putting in some kind of placeholder from the basic VIN information. From almost everyone who visited their Genesis dealers in the main GV80 thread, there weren't many on the lot and the handful there were had mark-ups of $5-15K for the cars actually in stock. Even OP's car in this thread was marked up $9K initially.

Right now, there's almost as many G80s listed nationally as GV80s despite the fact that the amount of G80s exported here is only around half the GV80- and the G80 didn't hit dealerships until weeks later. Goes to show just how quickly the GV80 is moving units compared to its sedan counterpart.

https://motorillustrated.com/genesis...nd-gv80/66945/

Last edited by Motorola; 01-03-21 at 03:28 AM.
Old 01-03-21, 08:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are refering to the GV80, it clearly competes (or will compete) more with the Aviator than Explorer.
But you are missing my point. If someone is going to spend $60K+ on an Explorer Platinum, then they may be considering moving up another class. I haven't priced out these vehicles, but my bet is that a comparably equipped GV80 is going to be priced between the Explorer and Aviator.

Quick Reply: First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80