Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 08:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure it is true. But I would be more impressed if the current Hyundai Palisade or KIA Candeza buyer makes the jump within the brand to a Genesis.

Watching all the reviews...the powertrains are still behind compared to all of the establishment
It is not sustainable for the Genesis brand to rely on upselling their sister company customers.
Old 01-03-21, 10:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
I love how people are still pretending that nobody would be looking at the GV80 at a time when dealers can't keep them stocked even at $10K above the MSRP. Buyers aren't ignorant badge suckers as some would hope they are.
But when you look at total sales vs the competition its going to be much lower, its production constrained, and you have to look at what those buyers were comparing the car too.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while buyers like steve (SW17LS) like having a close personal relationship with lexus and now mercedes dealers, i'm ok communicating with them once a year at most and ideally never setting foot in one for sales or service.
I'm totally okay with that too, but thats not what Genesis is doing. If they would commit to that and build the infastructure for that sort of sales/service model like Tesla has that would be fine, but expecting luxury customers to buy the car in a Hyundai showroom isnt going to work long term.

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
There is a case to be made about the dealership "experience" becoming more of a moot point if/when majority of sales are done online vs in person...
But again...thats not what Genesis/Hyundai is doing. Look to the OP, they bought the car off a showroom floor next to an Elantra. A Genesis rep didnt come to their home to demonstrate the car and do the paperwork as at one point we were told they would do.
Old 01-03-21, 02:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Goes to show just how quickly the GV80 is moving units compared to its sedan counterpart.
/
Genesis (really Hyundai)
in Savannah has 21 GV80s on the lot. Lexus of Savannah has 21 RX (350/L/h) on the lot. GX460 are 5 in stock.

GV have a $900 incentive.
RX has a $2500 incentive.

Not seeing any dealer markups

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-03-21 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 03:10 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

They only have 6 on the lot (with pictures), and the incentives are only for first responders and college grads. Many of them are marked up around $500 over MSRP (probably accessories).

EDIT: Just realized they don't even have the asking price listed, just the MSRP.

Last edited by Motorola; 01-03-21 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 03:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I will have to look and see if there are markups here, I'd be shocked if there weren't.
Old 01-03-21, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I will have to look and see if there are markups here, I'd be shocked if there weren't.
Not all dealerships necessarily price-gouge on high-demand/short-supply new vehicles that are just being introduced. But, yes, I agree, the chances of finding a GV80 at list-price or lower, right now, are probably not good. I wouldn't bet the rent money on it.
Old 01-03-21, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All our Hyundai dealers are Fitzgerald, and they absolutely mark cars up.
Old 01-03-21, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not all dealerships necessarily price-gouge on high-demand/short-supply new vehicles that are just being introduced. But, yes, I agree, the chances of finding a GV80 at list-price or lower, right now, are probably not good. I wouldn't bet the rent money on it.
Should be close to MSRP
Old 01-03-21, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Is Old Man Fitz handling Genesis products now? I haven't been out to one of his shops with anybody for the last couple of years.

Of course, I probably shouldn't even ask that question LOL ....I can easily check his dealer-websites.
Old 01-03-21, 03:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, Fitzgerald is selling Genesis.
Old 01-03-21, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

expecting luxury customers to buy the car in a Hyundai showroom isnt going to work long term.
Agreed but this article clearly shows I'm not in the minority. Buying cars in any showroom is not what consumers want to do.

Axios: Car buying has changed forever.
https://www.axios.com/car-buying-cha...3871ee1cb.html

Old 01-03-21, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't totally agree with that article....though it is at least partly true. Nevertheless, It is probably way too early to come up with that conclusion. Like it or not, there are still a lot of people that want to do exactly that.....go to a traditional showroom and bargain like a Bazaar in the Middle East. It will be a LONG time before ordering vehicles on-line completely replaces traditional vehicle-buying.

Now, I'm not saying I myself particularly like to bargain...I will to some extent, but I'm not going to spend all night with the salespeople like I was in Cairo...and, usually, most of the time, they give me what I consider a reasonable offer the first or second go-around, as I usually stay away from first-year new vehicles in really high demand.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-03-21, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed but this article clearly shows I'm not in the minority. Buying cars in any showroom is not what consumers want to do.

https://www.axios.com/car-buying-cha...3871ee1cb.html
I don’t disagree, but Genesis needs to do something different than what they are doing if they want to be truly successful in the luxury market. They need to go all in on a retail model.
Old 01-03-21, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t disagree, but Genesis needs to do something different
Probably the best thing they are doing right now is actually getting into the crossover market, which will give them something to sell. That alone is different from the past.

(BTW, after reading your response, I changed the wording on my own response to Bitkahuna's article.....I agree it is at least partly true, and modified my answer).
Old 01-04-21, 07:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't totally agree with that article....though it is at least partly true.
statements like this don't provide me at least with much to go on... "don't totally agree" and "partly true"...

Like it or not, there are still a lot of people that want to do exactly that.....go to a traditional showroom and bargain like a Bazaar in the Middle East. It will be a LONG time before ordering vehicles on-line completely replaces traditional vehicle-buying.
i agree that ordering online won't completely replace in-dealer buying any time soon, just like ordering on amazon hasn't completely replaced brick and mortar stores. it has however, been a giant shift in retail transactions.

Now, I'm not saying I myself particularly like to bargain...I will to some extent, but I'm not going to spend all night with the salespeople like I was in Cairo...and, usually, most of the time, they give me what I consider a reasonable offer the first or second go-around, as I usually stay away from first-year new vehicles in really high demand.
i'd say you're a perfect candidate for online car shopping... you know what you want, and you want a reasonable deal and don't like to haggle endlessly.

Quick Reply: First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80