Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 07:20 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice review, that is a beautiful color and I really like how this SUV came together. I'm sure I'll see one around here soon.
Old 01-04-21, 08:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like it or not, there are still a lot of people that want to do exactly that.....go to a traditional showroom and bargain
Do they, though? Do they "want" to physically go into the dealer and waste time and energy? Or do they feel that's how you "have to do it", not realizing there are other ways? Every person should take time to physically go to the dealer for a test drive, or make some other arrangement to do it, but for my last 4 purchases, I didn't go to the dealer to negotiate. Yes, there was some back and forth when I test drove, but after the test drive, it was all by email and by phone. In fact, for all those purchases, the first time I stepped foot in the dealer I purchased from was when I was picking up the car for purchase.

I'm find it much better to negotiate price without being in the dealer. Sure, they will try and put pressure on me, but there's just so much they can do if I don't reply to an email, or if I let my phone go to voicemail. And in that time, I can call around to all the other dealers for their best price--it's hard to do that face to face.

I'm just always surprised when I speak to knowledgeable and educated car shoppers who don't even realize that most of this process can be done in this way.
Old 01-04-21, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Do they, though? Do they "want" to physically go into the dealer and waste time and energy? Or do they feel that's how you "have to do it", not realizing there are other ways?
You'd be surprised, tex. Some old habits are hard to break....even some of my own, for that matter, although, out of respect, I won't take the liberty of trying to speak for your habits. There are people (and I still sometimes deal with them) who think that Hyundai and Kia are still building their 80s/90s-junk. Who think that Lexuses are nothing but rebadged Toyotas. Who think that Genesis products are nothing but rebadged Hyundais. (in fact, only one Genesis product was a rebadged Hyundai...the 1Gen G80). And who think that SUVs. regardless of size, are all gas-guzzling trucks. Pathetic.

As for my own view, I'm still convinced of at need for at least for a dealer test-drive and inspection before buying a vehicle....I want to know exactly what I am getting (which you can't do on-line). I wouldn't buy clothes without trying them on.....same for a vehicle. But I agree with you that traditional haggling is a PITA. I still (personally) think that the best thing that ever happened to vehicle-buying was the Saturn/Scion method of pricing the vehicles competitively (and fairly) to start with, simplifying the paperwork as much as possible, no markups/discounts, and granting a 30-day money-back guarantee if one was not satisfied (as Saturn did). yes, those two companies folded, but that was NOT because of their pricing policies. It was because the people running their master corporations (GM and Toyota) simply mismanaged them.

Old 01-04-21, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

I buy clothes without trying them on all the time. I just send back whatever I don't like. To me the only benefit of buying something in a store is getting it immediately.
Old 01-04-21, 08:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I buy clothes without trying them on all the time. I just send back whatever I don't like. To me the only benefit of buying something in a store is getting it immediately.

You may not be as difficult to fit as I am. That's why I do my clothes-shopping at Big & Tall departments in Walmart and JC Penneys.

But, back to vehicles, you and your wife/family went to the dealer, didn't you, to check out the Pacifica? I know you described the experience earlier, but there were several different threads on it, and it would take a lot of hunting to find and re-post the relevant story.

As an aside-note, I still laugh when I think of how that dealership tosses all of their new-vehicle key-fobs into one big box, and the dumps it on the floor while looking for one of them. Most dealerships did things more efficiently than that 50 years ago LOL.They did that with me, I remember, when I reviewed a new Ram 1500 at Josh's request.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-04-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I went to the Chrysler dealer to look at the Pacifica only because I had no other option. We did the paperwork at my house and they delivered it to me and took the old Pacifica.

All things considered, I typically only go to the dealer to do test drives and to collect the car, I do all the negotiating from home over email.

If there were a nice area where I could go test drive some cars and look at the different models and options and then I did everything else from home that would be great. I prefer to go in myself for service, I don't like to wait around for them to pickup and dropoff, but if there was a nice service center I could go to, fine. For instance Lindsay Lexus the service department is in a totally different location than sales.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-04-21 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 08:45 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You'd be surprised, tex. Some old habits are hard to break....even some of my own, for that matter, although, out of respect, I won't take the liberty of trying to speak for your habits. There are people (and I still sometimes deal with them) who think that Hyundai and Kia are still building their 80s/90s-junk. Who think that Lexuses are nothing but rebadged Toyotas. Who think that Genesis products are nothing but rebadged Hyundais. (in fact, only one Genesis product was a rebadged Hyundai...the 1Gen G80). And who think that SUVs. regardless of size, are all gas-guzzling trucks. Pathetic.

As for my own view, I'm still convinced of at need for at least for a dealer test-drive and inspection before buying a vehicle....I want to know exactly what I am getting (which you can't do on-line). I wouldn't buy clothes without trying them on.....same for a vehicle. But I agree with you that traditional haggling is a PITA. I still (personally) think that the best thing that ever happened to vehicle-buying was the Saturn/Scion method of pricing the vehicles competitively (and fairly) to start with, simplifying the paperwork as much as possible, no markups/discounts, and granting a 30-day money-back guarantee if one was not satisfied (as Saturn did). yes, those two companies folded, but that was NOT because of their pricing policies. It was because the people running their master corporations (GM and Toyota) simply mismanaged them.
What you are describing is people feeling "This is the way you have to do it"; not "I like to do it this way".

You may not buy clothes without trying them on. But, @SW17LS has accurately described what many consumers do...they still try stuff on, but just not in store. The fact is, I, and many people were doing this long before mail order. I don't want to waste time in the dressing room, etc. 10x if shopping for kids. I'll take it all home, try it on there, and then return anything that doesn't fit when I come back to the store. Except now you aren't even going to the store. Zappos built a hugely successful business on this premises--buy shoes online with free shipping and free returns. Buy multiple sizes and see for yourself in your own home.

And--I don't know about JC Penney near you, but the dressing rooms in the store near me (as I'm sure most/all other stores) are closed during COVID, so you are forced to bring stuff home to try on, even if you shop in store.

I agree--plenty of people are set in their ways. That doesn't mean that they prefer doing it their way--they just haven't opened their mind to something *potentially* better for them. And I get it--I'm not ready to rely on a "money back guaranty" for a car purchase; it impacts any trade in, and financing if they pull credit reports.

Last edited by tex2670; 01-04-21 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-04-21, 09:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Pandemic also has opened people up to a lot of different ways of doing things too. So even people who were set in their ways have been forced to try newer ways of doing things too. A lot of that will stick.
Old 01-04-21, 10:05 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Same for me with clothing and with dealerships I avoid being there other than for service. I did most of my negotiation over the phone for the last vehicle I purchased.
Old 01-04-21, 05:32 PM
Trackruner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I'm with your Dad. Don't care. Local dealer will be picking up my Genesis for its final oil change on Tuesday. I've only been to the dealer once in 3 years and that was to take a look at a GV80 that was sold by the time I got there.

But yes, some people won't buy without the fancy dealership so Genesis will have to address over time. I suspect they'll end up with fancy 'show rooms' that aren't full dealerships (service done elsewhere). Concierge makes going to the dealer a thing of the past for most.

Anyway, congrats to your Dad! Awesome car.
Oh awesome! Which model Genesis do you have?

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I can tell you don't just go by cars that are listed online if you plan to check one out. We called several dealers that had cars "listed" and it just meant "in-transit" to location. Some dealers as soon as they get a VIN number start listing the car.
Old 01-04-21, 06:17 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 115 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackruner
The ride is smooth, but the only thing I've noticed is that it doesn't seem to love speed bumps.
Does your father's model have "Preview ECS"? Here is a description from the Genesis website:

PREVIEW ECS

The Electronically Controlled Suspension with Road Preview actively adjusts the GV80’s performance characteristics to deliver the smoothest possible drive. Using a front camera to spot potential potholes, the system adapts the damping force of the suspension to comfortably accommodate obstacles and reduce wheel impact from aftershocks. A feat of innovation, it also combines the camera with map navigation data to detect approaching speed bumps.

I also remember watching one of the videos produced by "Asian Petrolhead" where he discussed and demonstrating it while driving over speed bumps. Also, a few months ago, before the release of the new GV80 and G80, my wife and I drove by one of the Hyundai offices in Southern California and a new silver colored GV80 was driving out, so we were driving alongside of it. It certainly has presence. Just when we turned onto another street the new G80 in blue came driving alongside of us. Genesis has truly upped their game, and we like what they are offering. Lexus is going to have to up their game as Genesis is now an attractive alternative.

Old 01-04-21, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

you're right about 'old habits' - people with those habits (views) are indeed, old. Young people don't think kias and hyundais are junk. They know lexus as a high end luxury brand. They've likely never heard of genesis

I still (personally) think that the best thing that ever happened to vehicle-buying was the Saturn/Scion method of pricing the vehicles...
Yes you bring this up in almost every car pricing/buying thread, and saturn's been gone a decade now.

The Pandemic also has opened people up to a lot of different ways of doing things too. So even people who were set in their ways have been forced to try newer ways of doing things too. A lot of that will stick.
100% agree. Even my mom can use zoom now.

Originally Posted by Trackruner
Oh awesome! Which model Genesis do you have?
i have a 2018 G90, for another coupe of months anyway (lease ending). It's been a wonderful car. As with every car i sell (or in this case return, it's my first lease), i will have guilt for a while about parting after the car has been SO great. If i wanted to burn some money, i'd buy it out of the lease ($31K) and sell the beater camry i now have as well (probably get $13K, so would have to come up with $18K plus tax etc). It's possible but unlikely i will do this, instead i'll wait a bit (as i already made a recent 'mad' purchase of an LC500) and at some point i'll replace the camry with another 'practical' vehicle, but unlikely a GV80.
Old 01-05-21, 04:10 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i absolutely did NOT want to go into the dealership when buying my latest car so i did go in and inspect the car and then went straight back home and emailed the dealership to negotiate the price and have all paperwork ready by the time i arrived to pick up the car with a check in hand and pen to sign the paperwork. they offered to bring the paperwork to my house along with the car but i wanted to test drive it prior to purchasing and then sign the paperwork but i negotiated as if i had already test drove it because i hate dealerships that much. i also didn't want them driving my car from the dealership to my house. so i test drove the vehicle and then signed the paperwork, handed over the check and i was in and out of the dealership within 20 minutes. bam!
Old 01-05-21, 06:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
The Kia K900 has even more limited supply, but you don't see anyone fighting over that car or paying markups for it.
that's because there's no demand.
Old 01-05-21, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're right about 'old habits' - people with those habits (views) are indeed, old. Young people don't think kias and hyundais are junk. They know lexus as a high end luxury brand. They've likely never heard of genesis
While it certainly doesn't describe all of them by ay means, a lot of young people simply aren't interested in the auto market, period. They grew up in a world of cell-phones, social-media, and, recently, virtual-learning and the pandemic keeping many of them at home. When they did go out, it was often being carted around in minivans or SUVs. On top of that, many have been taught, since childhood, that automobiles, particularly with ICEs, are evil and destroying the planet...I can't get into many of the details of it, since it involves politics. But, between all of that, it is little wonder that they clearly have not shown the interest and love of vehicles that my generation did, before the 1970s came and screwed up the market as we knew it.

Quick Reply: First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80