Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Impressions on My Dad's Genesis GV80

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-21, 12:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They have your birth date lol. Its on your credit report, its in your DMV file when they title the car, its in your insurance policy, its on your drivers license which they have a copy of. They know.

This data is very important to companies, we track it too. I can tell you exactly the average age of all of our clients, how many were from what generation, where each one came from....

They also do stuidies and when they do studies they sample representative populations of buyers and extrapolate that data to the whole buying population. Like it or not, Millennials are the largest group of car and home buyers currently in the country.
I believe you register your car plates.....everything is thus know about you and who is buying the car..

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-06-21 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 12:34 PM
DrWeir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just one question, amidst all this wonderful discussion, Does anybody find it somewhat wrong with the fact that the logo of the car is basically very close to say, Aston Martin and Bentley? I know that the designer came from working for Bentley in Crewe. I find that if you have a good product, you do not have to travel on an others coattails. Granted the Genesis is a wonderful car, and such is Lexus as well (or rather used to be)
Old 01-06-21, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

That Genesis logo is not new, its been used in Korea for years.
Old 01-06-21, 01:13 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWeir
Just one question, amidst all this wonderful discussion, Does anybody find it somewhat wrong with the fact that the logo of the car is basically very close to say, Aston Martin and Bentley?
You mean like Chrysler and Mini and Morgan?
Old 01-06-21, 01:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Just one question, amidst all this wonderful discussion, Does anybody find it somewhat wrong with the fact that the logo of the car is basically very close to say, Aston Martin and Bentley? I know that the designer came from working for Bentley in Crewe. I find that if you have a good product, you do not have to travel on an others coattails. Granted the Genesis is a wonderful car, and such is Lexus as well (or rather used to be)

Welcome to CL.....I see this is your first post.

To answer your question, no, I see nothing wrong with it. Wing-logos have been around almost as long as the automobile itself....and they will probably still be around when most of us have passed on.
Old 01-06-21, 01:44 PM
DrWeir
Driver School Candidate

I agree, and I am aware of that. As an avid car collector I usually know what the logos mean or wherein they started. Toyota for instance was a loom. But when you spend a quarter of a million on a car, it is not fun when somebody mistakes you for a lesser brand. Would you tend to agree?
Old 01-06-21, 01:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Nobody who knows anything about cars would mistake a Genesis for a Bentley lol
Old 01-06-21, 01:51 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I agree, and I am aware of that. As an avid car collector I usually know what the logos mean or wherein they started. Toyota for instance was a loom. But when you spend a quarter of a million on a car, it is not fun when somebody mistakes you for a lesser brand. Would you tend to agree?
Why don't you give me a quarter of a million dollars for a car, and then I'll tell you how "not fun" it feels?

In all seriousness, most people who can afford cars like Bentleys and Astons really don't care. Most of them own multiple cars from multiple brands and have larger things (usually financial) to worry about than whether X car will be mistaken for theirs.
Old 01-06-21, 02:15 PM
DrWeir
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you on that one, and yes, being one of those people, I have several Rolls, Bentleys , Astons, and such, but happy to say my daily is a 430 ultimate. I was just curious as to what you thought. Honestly when people have said, is that like the Korean offerings, I just shake my head and think "what do they know about that' Perhaps I have this thought as I am very much a car person, and have been for years. I remember going to the auto show back years ago, and seeing the first LS400.. and thinking, damn, makes the offerings from American look cheap and tawdry. Build quality was excellent "The relentless pursuit of perfection" back when cars had mottos, and jingles and such. Now people cannot seem to remember anything that has that many words.
Old 01-06-21, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

. But when you spend a quarter of a million on a car, it is not fun when somebody mistakes you for a lesser brand. Would you tend to agree?
Well, the solution to that may be to not spend the quarter-million to start with, if there are good alternatives at lower prices.
Old 01-06-21, 05:27 PM
DrWeir
Driver School Candidate

mmarshal, You are correct. I thought it interesting how, in a Lexus forum, where were are all Lexus drivers and such, why nobody asked, as an owner of several other brands, how they stacked up against them.
Old 01-07-21, 02:27 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Genesis sold 1,459 GV80s last month, even with the low supply issues. That's higher than any Genesis model's monthly numbers sold to date except for the G80 prior to the dealership cutoffs.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/genesi...sales-figures/
Old 01-07-21, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Genesis sold 1,459 GV80s last month, even with the low supply issues. That's higher than any Genesis model's monthly numbers sold to date except for the G80 prior to the dealership cutoffs.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/genesi...sales-figures/
What were the sales figures of all of their cars? Did the G70-G90 go up over the previous December?