Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jim Glickenhaus challenges Elon Musk to a Cybertruck showdown in the Baja 1000

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-21, 09:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
He may or may not but when issued a challenge Musk doesn’t usually back down, he does whatever it takes to win. It will be interesting to see what he does.
Isn't that why we will have a Plaid Model S coming out due to Elon's ego? Honestly, I love it when CEOs take up challenges like this as it creates free marketing for the company.

I also can't wait to see the Plaid Model S lay waste to everything in its path. A high 8s quarter mile stock production car is pretty crazy.
Old 01-02-21, 09:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 788 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Well, I'm sure the standard Cybertruck isn't up to snuff. Tesla doesn't really do any motor sports so I'm sure they wouldn't really do well on their first try. The only time attacks with Teslas have been with 3rd parties. Tesla doesn't even do Formula E.
Agreed 100%. The Boot is a purpose built for this type of race by a team that has won the last 2. Might as well do a Cybertruck vs Boot cross country drive to see which one can make it from CA to NY with the existing infrastructure.
Old 01-02-21, 09:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Isn't that why we will have a Plaid Model S coming out due to Elon's ego? Honestly, I love it when CEOs take up challenges like this as it creates free marketing for the company.

I also can't wait to see the Plaid Model S lay waste to everything in its path. A high 8s quarter mile stock production car is pretty crazy.
That's one thing I like about him, his arrogance. When someone one ups his product and takes the throne, he goes back to the drawing board and makes his product better. That's what I like about certain manufacturers, they get pushed to make things better. What I don't like is that I wish he would use that same arrogance to make Tesla's build quality better when he sees some reviewers call that out but I don't think he focuses on that. On the other hand, his arrogance also makes me mad because he can't keep his mouth shut and as a result, I can't buy stock in his company. With the amount I was going to invest it would have made me six figures in a very short time frame.

Old 01-02-21, 09:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
That's one thing I like about him, his arrogance. When someone one ups his product and takes the throne, he goes back to the drawing board and makes his product better.
I don't find him arrogant. I do admire his goal of trying to change the world (got that from SW) Will be interesting to see how the cyber truck pans out...Hummer is coming...F150 as well.
Old 01-02-21, 09:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't find him arrogant. I do admire his goal of trying to change the world
While he and his company DID make battery-electric vehicles more powerful, more efficient, and have longer ranges, I don't really see them changing the world. Converting to battery-electric vehicles on a large scale is not feasible, would severely tax the electrical-grid...and, as others have pointed out, a credible alternative is hydrogen-fuel stations.
Old 01-02-21, 12:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While he and his company DID make battery-electric vehicles more powerful, more efficient, and have longer ranges, I don't really see them changing the world. Converting to battery-electric vehicles on a large scale is not feasible, would severely tax the electrical-grid...and, as others have pointed out, a credible alternative is hydrogen-fuel stations.
You are right. He is not going to change the world. But he is trying to change the way to auto industry operates in the EV segment.
Old 01-02-21, 12:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,026 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You literally said we should use the grid to make hydrogen. Care to explain why that is better?
Old 01-02-21, 12:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You literally said we should use the grid to make hydrogen. Care to explain why that is better?
It's far worse because you need 3x the electricity to power a Hydrogen infrastructure vs BEV. Lol.

That was why Elon said it was mind-boggling stupid to go that way.