Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jim Glickenhaus challenges Elon Musk to a Cybertruck showdown in the Baja 1000

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Jim Glickenhaus challenges Elon Musk to a Cybertruck showdown in the Baja 1000

He wants to prove hydrogen fuel cells aren't as dumb as Musk claims

Jim Glickenhaus has challenged Elon Musk to race in the 2023 edition of the Baja 1000. Posted on social media, the duel invitation aims to prove the merits of hydrogen-electric technology.

"You have said that hydrogen technology is 'mind-bogglingly stupid.' You've also mentioned that the Baja 1000 would be a great test for your Cybertruck. We say bring it," wrote Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus on Instagram.

Tesla boss Musk made the comments referenced by Glickenhaus in 2019. He called fuel cells "fool cells," added that the technology is "a load of rubbish," and concluded that "success is simply not possible." Musk became one of the richest people in the world by selling battery electric cars, so his stance on hydrogen is not entirely surprising.

Glickenhaus evidently stands on the pro-hydrogen side of the industry, among manufacturers like Toyota, BMW, Hyundai, and Ineos. Although his company primarily builds race cars powered by gasoline, he predicted that a hydrogen-electric variant of the Boot (pictured) could finish the 1,000-mile Baja without stopping to refuel, a feat that would give the team a big time advantage over its rivals. In comparison, the top-of-the-line Cybertruck will allegedly offer a 500-plus-mile range, so it would need to stop and charge at least once to finish the race.

"We have a nice relationship with [sanctioning body] SCORE International, and we would be happy to help you navigate entry and find a good place to set up charging stations for your Cybertruck," SCG added. Glickenhaus won first in its class twice, in 2020 and in 2019, and it beat several big-name rivals, such as Ford's born-again Bronco.

Musk hasn't responded. If he accepts the challenge, the Baja 1000 would become the first major race Tesla participates in. It sounds like the hydrogen-powered Boot will compete in 2023 regardless of Tesla's answer.
Source
Old 01-01-21, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

OK, Musk...put your money where your mouth is, instead of pot-smoke.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-21 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-01-21, 09:43 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Don’t bet against Elon on anything- just ask all the poor Tesla short sellers.
Old 01-01-21, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Don’t bet against Elon on anything- just ask all the poor Tesla short sellers.

Jim's no idiot. I don't think he would have challenged Musk if he didn't know what he was doing.
Old 01-01-21, 09:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Jim G has more to gain from this challenge than Elon. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't happen.
Old 01-01-21, 11:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Jim G has more to gain from this challenge than Elon. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't happen.
Uhhh. Cybertruck isn't even out. What kind of challenge is this. Lol. I think there is only 1 or 2 prototypes out there but a good year or two outfit actual vehicles. Cybertruck won't be production ready until the 4680 cell is in service. Quite a wait there on that one.
Old 01-01-21, 12:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Uhhh. Cybertruck isn't even out. What kind of challenge is this. Lol. I think there is only 1 or 2 prototypes out there but a good year or two outfit actual vehicles. Cybertruck won't be production ready until the 4680 cell is in service. Quite a wait there on that one.
Article says challenge is for 2023, so there is your year or two... plenty of time to get ready.

Let's hope this happens. Would be good for both technologies to get into the spotlight and more attention to a cool driving event.
Old 01-01-21, 01:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It would be good to see a race in Baja. I doubt a battery vehicle could go the distance...Cybertruck is a pretty cool rig...(window smash was a fail). I think Jim G and his team is already a multi time winner

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-01-21 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 01:41 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Article says challenge is for 2023, so there is your year or two... plenty of time to get ready.

Let's hope this happens. Would be good for both technologies to get into the spotlight and more attention to a cool driving event.
A 500 mile range Cybertruck running in the sand at fast speeds is more like a 250 mile range truck (probable even less given resistance in sand). EVs would have a pretty bad disadvantage in this situation.
Old 01-01-21, 01:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
A 500 mile range Cybertruck running in the sand at fast speeds is more like a 250 mile range truck (probable even less given resistance in sand). EVs would have a pretty bad disadvantage in this situation.
Got the same rapid depletion disadvantage for non-EV vehicles that race. My wife gets maybe 7-8 mpg on her racecar running on track; I'm sure it's the same or worse for offroad trucks with the big tires. Time for Elon to show up.

Frankly I'd be more worried about Tesla not having expertise in the chassis for this race than the obvious range and charging issues... that's what breaks more than anything else in this type of course.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-01-21 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 02:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Got the same rapid depletion disadvantage for non-EV vehicles that race. My wife gets maybe 7-8 mpg on her racecar running on track; I'm sure it's the same or worse for offroad trucks with the big tires. Time for Elon to show up.

Frankly I'd be more worried about Tesla not having expertise in the chassis for this race than the obvious range and charging issues... that's what breaks more than anything else in this type of course.
Well, I'm sure the standard Cybertruck isn't up to snuff. Tesla doesn't really do any motor sports so I'm sure they wouldn't really do well on their first try. The only time attacks with Teslas have been with 3rd parties. Tesla doesn't even do Formula E.
Old 01-01-21, 03:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla doesn't really do any motor sports so I'm sure they wouldn't really do well on their first try.doesn't even do Formula E.
I wonder how a Porsche Taycan would do in a Motorsports test.
Old 01-01-21, 03:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder how a Porsche Taycan would do in a Motorsports test.
I'd trust Porsche motor sports more than Tesla. Not really a sports car though but does get a pretty good ring time.
Old 01-02-21, 08:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Jim G has apparently won two Baja 1000's already. E Musk-none I doubt Cybertruck even shows up or takes part.
Old 01-02-21, 08:58 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Jim G has apparently won two Baja 1000's already. E Musk-none I doubt Cybertruck even shows up or takes part.
He may or may not but when issued a challenge Musk doesn’t usually back down, he does whatever it takes to win. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Quick Reply: Jim Glickenhaus challenges Elon Musk to a Cybertruck showdown in the Baja 1000