Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Grand Highlander (confirmed post 63)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 04:11 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Default Toyota Grand Highlander (confirmed post 63)

From Car and Driver.

I'm not sure what to make of this.

Toyota Grand Highlander Could Be a Bigger Three-Row SUV

The new name, trademarked recently, could portend a stretched Highlander with a roomier third row of seats.

• Toyota recently trademarked a new name: Grand Highlander, as first seen on a forum post.
  • This moniker seems to suggest a larger variant of the existing Highlander three-row SUV.
  • The Highlander was redesigned for 2020, so the Grand Highlander may arrive for the mid-cycle refresh a few years from now.
Toyota is apparently envious of Jeep's Grand-iosity and may add a new model called the Grand Highlander, following in the footsteps of the Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer. The company filed for a trademark on December 28, 2020, and the name indicates that it will be a bigger version of the Highlander SUV.

The Highlander currently competes in the three-row mid-size SUV segment, but its third row of seats is notably less spacious than competitors such as the Kia Telluride, Volkswagen Atlas, and Chevy Traverse. A Grand Highlander, possibly with an extended wheelbase, could help fix this shortcoming. Size-wise, it would slot in between the Highlander and the full-size, body-on-frame Sequoia, and it would likely cost a few thousand dollars more than the Highlander.

Toyota has yet to confirm anything about such a model, but we think it could arrive as soon as the Highlander's mid-cycle refresh, which should come for the 2023 or 2024 model year given that the current model debuted for 2020. Mechanically it would likely share its 3.5-liter V-6 and hybrid drivetrains with the standard; a plug-in-hybrid Grand Highlander Prime also seems possible.
Link here.
Old 01-04-21, 04:14 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

This might be the North American version of the new Crown SUV that we've heard about. The Lexus version will be the TX.

LF-1 Limitless might as well be dead once this comes out.
Old 01-04-21, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
This might be the North American version of the new Crown SUV that we've heard about. The Lexus version will be the TX.

LF-1 Limitless might as well be dead once this comes out.
Crown CUV for JDM will definitely not be some huge version of Highlander.
Old 01-04-21, 05:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
Crown CUV for JDM will definitely not be some huge version of Highlander.
The Japanese source it came from literally said it was "built on the Highlander platform" and would also have a version built here in North America.
Old 01-04-21, 09:42 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

The Japanese source it came from literally said it was "built on the Highlander platform" and would also have a version built here in North America.
It just means the TNGA-K. I just hope they learned their lesson from the RXL and it better have a new stronger engine than the same old 3.5L.
Old 01-04-21, 10:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Potential Sequoia replacement?
Old 01-05-21, 07:51 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope not. BOF vehicles have such a different feel to it and I love how solid and strong it feels relative to unibodies.
Old 01-05-21, 08:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope for Toyota's sake, they don't use this nameplate on a different vehicle. Owning a Hyundai Santa Fe, I can't begin to tell you the levels of customer confusion between "Santa Fe", Santa Fe Sport" and "Santa Fe XL".
Old 01-05-21, 09:04 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I hope for Toyota's sake, they don't use this nameplate on a different vehicle. Owning a Hyundai Santa Fe, I can't begin to tell you the levels of customer confusion between "Santa Fe", Santa Fe Sport" and "Santa Fe XL".
thats an IQ issue.
Old 01-05-21, 06:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

sounds a lot like the RX-L, but a prime model sounds cool!
Old 01-05-21, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, I wasn't very impressed with the Santa Fe Sport version the last time I sampled one.....I thought it lacked the road-manners of the larger Santa Fe models. I think you did correctly in getting the regular Santa Fe.

Using stretched-smaller platforms (or simply rebadged ones) to replace larger ones is nothing new for automakers, though. In fact, in the 1970s, it was the norm for American automakers.....formerly mid-sized vehicles became the new full-sized ones.
Old 01-05-21, 06:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
sounds a lot like the RX-L, but a prime model sounds cool!
Well the RX-L basically already is the Highlander in length. RX still being on the older platform of course. So a bigger Highlander would go beyond where the RX-L is at. Maybe like an RX-LL haha.

Which would be great for both the next gen of whatever the Lexus gets called (if it gets diverged from the RX, or maybe they'll keep RX and RX-L nameplates) and for the Highlander to better compete against the rest of the larger 3 rows that are garnering lot of attention like the Palisade and Telluride. Don't forget new Pathfinder will also be here shortly.
Old 01-05-21, 08:35 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

They're simply following one of the most successful SUV business models out there lol

Old 01-06-21, 05:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They're simply following one of the most successful SUV business models out there lol

Didn't that brand used to be "Range Rover", and they swapped the Range Rover/Land Rover names of the brand and model?
Old 01-06-21, 10:48 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Didn't that brand used to be "Range Rover", and they swapped the Range Rover/Land Rover names of the brand and model?
Range Rover was once just a Land Rover model, but then later became its own sub-brand of SUV. The irony is that Land Rover now has more vehicles under the Range Rover sub-brand than its own Land Rover brand.

Quick Reply: Toyota Grand Highlander (confirmed post 63)