Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21 | 07:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

it would have to be some kind of pressure pump or actuator to keep the pressure in the lines then.
Old 09-16-21 | 07:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
it would have to be some kind of pressure pump or actuator to keep the pressure in the lines then.
Here is what Mercedes says

Old 09-17-21 | 07:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,986 Posts

No, most vehicles today do not have that feature. Maybe most of the cars you drive today have that feature. I drive thousands of cars a year, of all makes and models, and the only one I have seen with it was my LS460. That's not to say that most higher end cars don't have it, because I am sure they do, but to my mind it hasn't become mainstream in your average car until just the last 2-3 years. Most cars on the road today are older than that. You think a 3 year old Chevy Cruze has brake hold? Dream on LOL.
I can ratle off a ton of cars that have it. All the new Fords, all the new Toyotas, all the new GM cars, all Acuras and Hondas. Mercedes, BMW, all Hyundais and Kias, it goes on and on. Its very rare to drive a new car that doesnt have this feature, Chrysler vehicles really stand out because they don't. I drive a ton of cars too, and I can count on one hand the ones I have driven recently that don't have this feature.

Also understand that many cars have this feature but do not have a button, so you wouldnt realize that the car had it if you were just detailing it. Mercedes vehicles for instance dont have a button, you just pump in real quick on the brake pedal and it holds.

When your LS was new it was a very unusual feature, but its very common now.

Your LS has an electronic brake actuator, it doesn't have a traditional hydraulic brake cylinder. No new cars do, they all have gone to electronic actuators (brake by wire). Thats what makes this function possible, and also makes adaptive cruise that comes to a total stop and emergency automatic braking and a ton of other features
Old 09-29-21 | 07:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts
Default 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee revealed (2-row)

4xe model gets 25 miles of EV range

The 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee has finally arrived. Slotting in alongside the three-row variant that was unveiled earlier this year, the standard two-row model gains essentially the same new tech and features, albeit with less interior passenger and cargo room. It's not all downsides, though, as the two-row model is also the first variant of the Grand Cherokee to incorporate Jeep's new 4xe plug-in hybrid powertrain. We covered quite a bit of ground with the unveiling of the Grand Cherokee L, so be sure to check that out if you're curious about any of the Grand Cherokee family's newer features.

Let's start with the powertrain. As in the Wrangler and Wagoneer, the plug-in hybrid 4xe system comprises a 2.0-liter turbocharged ICE and a 100-kilowatt electric motor (along with a 17.3 kWh battery pack for juice) which together produce 375 total system horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque. Jeep says it's good for 25 miles of all-electric range (also on par with its other applications), and at launch, it will be the most powerful engine available in the Grand Cherokee, topping the 5.7-liter Hemi V8's 357 horses and the 3.6-liter V6's 293.

The two-row Grand Cherokee is also the most off-road-ready. While it already has a leg up on the three-row thanks to its shorter wheelbase, the five-seater also has the advantage of a dedicated off-road model in Trailhawk, which is to the Grand Cherokee nameplate what Rubicon is to Wrangler and Gladiator, representing the pinnacle of its off-road capability. Trailhawk models with the V6 and V8 get an extra 0.4 inches of ground clearance at the air suspension's max height setting (topping out at 11.3 inches).

Trailhawk 4xe models adjust to the same max clearance as the standard Grand Cherokee – 10.9 inches. Standard height for all models is 8.4 inches off the ground. But there's more to Trailhawk than a re-jiggered air suspension. In fact, for 2022, it gains a class-exclusive electronic sway bar disconnect, allowing for more articulation when things get particularly tricky underfoot. Trailhawks also come standard with all-terrain tires, Jeep's Quadra-Drive II 4WD system with an electronic rear limited-slip differential and the Selec-Terrain drive modes, plus all of the usual trail-ready exterior bits (skid plates, tow hooks, etc.) along with front and rear bumpers designed to improve off-road clearances.

All told, the 3.6L and 5.7L Trailhawks gain 5.6 degrees of approach angle, 1.8 degrees of breakover angle and 3.6 degrees of departure angle. The 4xe fares slightly worse, likely due to the added weight of the PHEV system, but performs at least as well as (and often better than) any other air-suspension-equipped Grand Cherokee. Water fording depth is fixed at 24 inches (61 cm) for all Trailhawk models.

Inside, much of what we saw back in January still applies, but a few additional elements of Jeep's new range-topping Wagoneer SUV have obviously filtered down to the two-row's interior. The passenger-side screen (checking in at 10.25 inches) is optimized for entertainment functions and a second-row high-definition entertainment system with Amazon Fire TV integration is available to expand those options. The range-topping Summit 4xe cabin shown here certainly looks every bit the part of a luxury SUV.

There's not a visible surface that appears neglected by Jeep's interior designers, who clearly wanted to lean into Grand Cherokee's legacy of being a premium SUV. The Summit is available with two wood trim packages (oak for the standard model; walnut for the Summit Reserve package) and upholstery options include cloth, leatherette, leatherette with suede inserts, Nappa leather and quilted Palermo leather (with some perforated variants sprinkled in for extra variety).

As you might expect, there's quite a bit less available interior space, especially in the rear, however eliminating the third row of seats means that much of the cargo space lost to the shortened wheelbase has been recovered, giving up only 9.2 cubic feet of cargo space behind the second row to the larger L. Overall, the Grand Cherokee gained more than 4.0 cubic feet of interior passenger volume and 1.4 cubic feet of cargo space over its predecessor in the move to this newer, more future-proof platform.

Look for pricing and more efficiency details closer to the 2022 Grand Cherokee's arrival in showrooms. Gasoline models will begin to trickle into dealers late this year; 4xe production will begin early in 2022 for the U.S. and later in the year for global markets.
Source
Old 09-29-21 | 07:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The exterior of this generation doesn't do much for me. The last-generation GC is truly remarkable in that its styling aged so well.
Old 09-29-21 | 07:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this roofline looks much better than the 3-row version. Interior is also a great leap forward as expected.

4XE looks like the one to get, will have to see how pricing after tax credits shake out.
Old 09-29-21 | 08:04 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think this roofline looks much better than the 3-row version. Interior is also a great leap forward as expected.

4XE looks like the one to get, will have to see how pricing after tax credits shake out.
I agree the new interior is a major upgrade

Old 09-29-21 | 08:07 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not liking that 2-tone at all. Is it 1985?
Old 09-29-21 | 08:08 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a fan of the overall look and feel of the interior . Nothing is ever really perfect, but this is pretty great IMO.

Attached Thumbnails 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L-jp021-217gc-1609899886.jpg   2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L-jp021_324gc6l5e6tsnekgte5mj4iktlf6j7c__mid.jpg  
Old 10-07-21 | 03:57 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Well my wife is still pressuring me to upgrade her 2017 to a new Grand Cherokee L. So for the 2n'd time I went and drove one this time an Overland and still no brake hold just using the brake pedal like on Mercedes cars and no button to activate it. Nowhere to be found in the information screen either. Nobody in the 2n'd dealership like the first even knows what brake hold is or has ever even seen it in a car. I find it hard to believe but I guess it's just the way it is. Spending the money is one thing but not getting what I want is another. She doesn't care but I drive her car a lot also.
Old 10-07-21 | 06:34 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Well my wife is still pressuring me to upgrade her 2017 to a new Grand Cherokee L. So for the 2n'd time I went and drove one this time an Overland and still no brake hold just using the brake pedal like on Mercedes cars and no button to activate it. Nowhere to be found in the information screen either. Nobody in the 2n'd dealership like the first even knows what brake hold is or has ever even seen it in a car. I find it hard to believe but I guess it's just the way it is. Spending the money is one thing but not getting what I want is another. She doesn't care but I drive her car a lot also.
Your wife wants that car but you don’t want to get it because of brake hold? Seems there are bigger downsides here to not getting the car she wants…. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-07-21 | 08:51 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
Your wife wants that car but you don’t want to get it because of brake hold? Seems there are bigger downsides here to not getting the car she wants…. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I get it. We went back there tonight, we drove it again and she was all in on Silver with light interior with the Limited we wanted. Then at the last minute she flipped to White. None available in our area so not gonna happen at least for now. The deal wasn't terrible. MSRP 50,800 and 25K trade. 70k miles on her 2017. No phony ad ons. It rides real nice. Better than our short one.
Old 10-08-21 | 07:32 AM
Hoovey689

as the saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life"
Old 10-08-21 | 08:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,959 Likes on 1,995 Posts

I am so used to the car creeping when I let off the brake that I find it easier not to use the auto hold in our cars unless I know it's going to be a really long light. At least the option is there I guess.

It didn't even register as a blip on my radar when we were shopping for either car. But it does have its uses. I could see why you'd want it.
Old 10-08-21 | 09:01 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
I am so used to the car creeping when I let off the brake that I find it easier not to use the auto hold in our cars unless I know it's going to be a really long light. At least the option is there I guess.

It didn't even register as a blip on my radar when we were shopping for either car. But it does have its uses. I could see why you'd want it.
My 2007 Ls460 hooked me on it.

Quick Reply: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L