Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-21 | 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Well my wife is still pressuring me to upgrade her 2017 to a new Grand Cherokee L. So for the 2n'd time I went and drove one this time an Overland and still no brake hold just using the brake pedal like on Mercedes cars and no button to activate it. Nowhere to be found in the information screen either. Nobody in the 2n'd dealership like the first even knows what brake hold is or has ever even seen it in a car. I find it hard to believe but I guess it's just the way it is. Spending the money is one thing but not getting what I want is another. She doesn't care but I drive her car a lot also.
So if you pump the brake it does activate brake hold like a Mercedes? That works for me. I've had the system both ways and this works just fine.

As for the Jeep, I would wait for the next year.
Old 10-08-21 | 09:21 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Kinda surprised a Cherokee L wouldn't have that. Mercedes pump the brake to hold works fine. Wish it would just engage automatically, but not a big deal.
EV bringing you to full stop with regen instead of brake pads, then holding is the chef's kiss of stopping.
Old 10-09-21 | 10:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Only on the Summit (silly Jeep contenting logic), it's a hard button labeled "Hold" to the left of the shift ****. Next to 4WD Low

Old 10-09-21 | 02:56 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Only on the Summit (silly Jeep contenting logic), it's a hard button labeled "Hold" to the left of the shift ****. Next to 4WD Low

Thanks for the info. Summit V8 only I guess.
Old 10-09-21 | 03:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
As mentioned previously both of our cars have auto hold, and they both have auto stop/start too. They both work very well together and as mentioned are becoming fairly common these days.
Originally Posted by tex2670
My 2019 Santa Fe has brake hold AND auto stop/start.
yup, my '21 santa fe and my LC500 both have auto brake hold. the LC doesn't have auto stop/start.

Originally Posted by pbm317

good find! and if you're gonna get a grand cherokee L, get the summit anyway, go big or go home.
Old 10-09-21 | 03:14 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

So I bought a white Grand Cherokee L Limited for my wife on Friday (no brake hold). They are having a recall on refreshing the backup camera for lack of turning on at times. After hr's of paperwork etc. I was waiting for them to finish the detailing, PDI and the refresh so I could take it home. Of course my wife makes me do all this for her. They inform me it won't accept the refresh and a Jeep factory Tech will come tomorrow and figure it out so I left. Ok so today I get a call saying the refresh went well and there is another issue. The battery drains from one of the door switches. Even with the factory tech there they could not figure this one out. Pretty much wait till next week and they will see what Jeep tells them to do next. They offered me any other car but this is the only one in the district with the options and colors we want. We are still driving our trade but on their tags and it's considered a loaner from them now. Such is life.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 10-09-21 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-21 | 03:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So I bought a white Grand Cherokee L Limited for my wife on Friday (no brake hold). They are having a recall on refreshing the backup camera for lack of turning on at times. After hr's of paperwork etc. I was waiting for them to finish the detailing, PDI and the refresh so I could take it home. Of course my wife makes me do all this for her. They inform me it won't accept the refresh and a Jeep factory Tech will come tomorrow and figure it out so I left. Ok so today I get a call saying the refresh went well and there is another issue. The battery drains from one of the door switches. Even with the factory tech there they could not figure this one out. Pretty much wait till next week and they will see what Jeep tells them to do next. They offered me any other car but this is the only one in the district with the options and colors we want. We are still driving our trade but on their tags and it's considered a loaner from them now. Such is life.
it's a sign you need to get a summit with brake hold.
Old 10-09-21 | 03:38 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's a sign you need to get a summit with brake hold.
That's another 15K and not going to happen.
Old 10-09-21 | 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really would have waited for the next model year lol

The vehicle is awesome...but both first year FCA products I bought were a total disaster
Old 10-09-21 | 06:52 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, anything with an FCA affiliation needs at least a year, usually 2, before all the kinks are worked out.

Sincerely,

A 1st year redesign Ram 1500 owner
Old 10-09-21 | 07:48 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Let me explain. My wife just got an inheritance from her aunt which covers 1/2 of the balance after the paid for trade. She was wanting a new bigger car for a couple years. She was sold on this vehicle. Need I say more. It's not worth the brain damage for me to deny her. We have been married for 35 years. She's an awesome mother to our three adult daughters and our two year old grandson who she is insane over. Did I mention she is still smoking hot. Any first year problems I can handle way easier than making her wait. I am still pissed over no brake hold but I have a turbo Santa Fe with it and I just love that car. It's a blast to drive. By the way almost nothing went wrong with our 17 Grand Cherokee in 70,000 miles.

Update! I got a call from the salesman saying the same car is landing there this week with wheels I don't want so they will swap them for me and put me in that car if mine isn't fixed yet.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 10-09-21 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Let me explain. My wife just got an inheritance from her aunt which covers 1/2 of the balance after the paid for trade. She was wanting a new bigger car for a couple years. She was sold on this vehicle. Need I say more. It's not worth the brain damage for me to deny her. We have been married for 35 years. She's an awesome mother to our three adult daughters and our two year old grandson who she is insane over. Did I mention she is still smoking hot. Any first year problems I can handle way easier than making her wait. I am still pissed over no brake hold but I have a turbo Santa Fe with it and I just love that car. It's a blast to drive. By the way almost nothing went wrong with our 17 Grand Cherokee in 70,000 miles.
Don't get me wrong, I get it...you're talking to the guy who was forced to buy ANOTHER Chrysler Pacifica when the first one was in the shop all the time. Our 2020 at 8,300 miles now has the creaking front end that means it has to go in for the song and dance to get the front struts and strut mounts replaced (happened to the 2017 at 25k miles, happens to all of them). My response to her when she told me it was creaking was "can we buy a GOOD car next time?" to which she responded "if they make one I like"...meaning just like that one.
Old 10-10-21 | 06:25 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Don't get me wrong, I get it...you're talking to the guy who was forced to buy ANOTHER Chrysler Pacifica when the first one was in the shop all the time. Our 2020 at 8,300 miles now has the creaking front end that means it has to go in for the song and dance to get the front struts and strut mounts replaced (happened to the 2017 at 25k miles, happens to all of them). My response to her when she told me it was creaking was "can we buy a GOOD car next time?" to which she responded "if they make one I like"...meaning just like that one.
So today my wife insisted I text him and tell him she will not accept that first car fixed or not. I did so and he said he would make sure we get the incoming one. Hopefully that one will be ok.
Old 10-10-21 | 07:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So today my wife insisted I text him and tell him she will not accept that first car fixed or not. I did so and he said he would make sure we get the incoming one. Hopefully that one will be ok.
make sure you know the vin of the problematic one and the incoming one so they don't do a switcheroo.
Old 10-11-21 | 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good! And yeah I agree with bit, get the VIN

Quick Reply: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L