Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

just watched Asian Petrolhead's review of this (i'm a big fan of his enthusiastic reviews and thrashing of every day car, lol).

it was great to see a guy who reviews Korean cars primarily take a look at this (in s. korea), plus he owns a hyundai palisade, so good perspective.

although i'm a former owner of a jeed grand cherokee summit (2015) i hadn't watched reviews of this (not really a fan of the very squared off looks now), but i did enjoy this and it reminded me just how nice the interiors are on high trim jgc's.

Old 01-17-22, 08:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

I really like the way the 2 row Grand Cherokee looks, the L looks too long to me
Old 01-17-22, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I really like the way the 2 row Grand Cherokee looks, the L looks too long to me
right but the 3rd row is actually useful on the L.
Old 01-17-22, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
right but the 3rd row is actually useful on the L.
Oh for sure, and I would choose the L if I were to get one
Old 01-17-22, 04:49 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

They still can't get the software issues right with UConnect and the radio. So many people are still complaining on various boards. We need a new SUV and this fits the bill for us but makes me nervous. It's in its second year so hopefully they'll resolve most of them.
Old 01-18-22, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
They still can't get the software issues right with UConnect and the radio. So many people are still complaining on various boards. We need a new SUV and this fits the bill for us but makes me nervous. It's in its second year so hopefully they'll resolve most of them.
You should be nervous. Gotta wait until its sorted, trust me.
Old 01-21-22, 05:53 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I was hoping the looks of this beast would grow on me but every time I go into my garage and see it I think ugly. If I open the car door and look in I smile because that is a beautiful interior. The front end and the size is what looks poor to me. I can’t really voice this opinion on the GCL facebook page because I would get destroyed. They have a love hate relationship with these cars. They Hate Hate all the problems but think it’s the prettiest greatest thing on 4 wheels. Much of the talk on there is about lemon laws or getting their car bought back or how to go about doing that. Many people just sell them to Vroom or Carvana so the problems end up with the next unsuspecting owners. Remember that people when you think about buying a car from them. Our 2017 was a good looking car even though the interior wasn’t as nice. Also no problems ever. Just venting It’s not my daily driver anyway, thank god.
Old 01-21-22, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Kennyr44, sorry you don't love the exterior looks... i may have missed in this thread, but you're having problems with yours? uconnect?

my timing on my jgc i had was lucky, i got a 2015 which was a year after the 2014 refresh and it was issue free for the 3 years i had it. i would not have bought a first year new model jeep though.
before the jgc, i did get a first year new model explorer, which was also bulletproof for over 100k mi. thankfully.
overall i've been very fortunate with vehicles.

Old 01-21-22, 07:03 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I was hoping the looks of this beast would grow on me but every time I go into my garage and see it I think ugly. If I open the car door and look in I smile because that is a beautiful interior. The front end and the size is what looks poor to me. I can’t really voice this opinion on the GCL facebook page because I would get destroyed. They have a love hate relationship with these cars. They Hate Hate all the problems but think it’s the prettiest greatest thing on 4 wheels. Much of the talk on there is about lemon laws or getting their car bought back or how to go about doing that. Many people just sell them to Vroom or Carvana so the problems end up with the next unsuspecting owners. Remember that people when you think about buying a car from them. Our 2017 was a good looking car even though the interior wasn’t as nice. Also no problems ever. Just venting It’s not my daily driver anyway, thank god.
I agree. People on some of the forums really like this car and want to give Jeep the business. They are mostly in love with the vehicle but are frustrated with how Jeep handles the issues. It's also a new model so the dealers don't know how to fix things. It also doesn't help when the dealer tells you they'll replaced the stereo but it'll take 12 weeks to get the head unit. Then, it becomes, "Well, I paid 70k for this. This is ridiculous." Not a good time to own a troubled vehicle.
Old 01-21-22, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For whatever reason, FCA forums have some of the loudest. most obnoxious fanboys out there. Even on the Pacifica forums, they eviscerate anybody who posts with problems...Jeep forum is the same way.

Right now there is a big rash of Pentastar engines needing to be replaced at less than 70k miles, and its hilarious to watch them backpedal about how this isn't an issue as more and more and more people post with the issue.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-21-22 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-21-22, 08:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For whatever reason, FCA forums have some of the loudest. most obnoxious fanboys out there. Even on the Pacifica forums, they eviscerate anybody who posts with problems...Jeep forum is the same way.

Right now there is a big rash of Pentastar engines needing to be replaced at less than 70k miles, and its hilarious to watch them backpedal about how this isn't an issue as more and more and more people post with the issue.
I did check out the RAM owner's forum before buying my Tundra, as I really like the RAM 1500. The forum scared me away...
Old 01-21-22, 08:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I did check out the RAM owner's forum before buying my Tundra, as I really like the RAM 1500. The forum scared me away...
It is ridiculous. They tend to have well documented issues. For example...engine stalling in intersections when the engine stop/start doesn't restart the engine. Paint bubbling on the aluminum hoods and sliding doors. Now, complete engine failure lol. Sliding doors falling off. uConnect freezes and failures. On the hybrids, there have been multiple engine fires. But, whenever someone comes along they pretend that they've never heard of such a thing before, when literally there is a 240 page thread that those specific people have been fighting in on that same topic.

You should see them try and tell a poster that its their fault lol

Then somebody posts asking "How reliable is this van" and everybodys like "Oh they're great, you can't go by what you see on forums, all forums are like this" LOL
Old 01-21-22, 08:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Indeed, Steve. The overwhelming theme was "it's reliable as long as you're still under warranty." That statement makes no sense to me. Not knowing how long I am going to keep this truck, the pages and pages of posts saying how great the trucks are but you must never keep one outside of warranty isn't really endearing.
Old 01-21-22, 08:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive had most of the common issues on my ram, cracked rear bezel on rear glass, both power folding mirrors gear binding, no issues with powertrain, early years had bad A/C performance and got redesigned heater core blend box replaced. The start stop thing is only on the etorque, and i stayed away from that one. Dealer experience has been a lot better than I expected (coming from lexus previously)
Old 01-21-22, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Indeed, Steve. The overwhelming theme was "it's reliable as long as you're still under warranty." That statement makes no sense to me. Not knowing how long I am going to keep this truck, the pages and pages of posts saying how great the trucks are but you must never keep one outside of warranty isn't really endearing.
At least the Ram people cede that! The Pacifica people tell people they don't need a warranty!

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
ive had most of the common issues on my ram, cracked rear bezel on rear glass, both power folding mirrors gear binding, no issues with powertrain, early years had bad A/C performance and got redesigned heater core blend box replaced. The start stop thing is only on the etorque, and i stayed away from that one. Dealer experience has been a lot better than I expected (coming from lexus previously)
My Chrysler dealer is great...

Quick Reply: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L