Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-21, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Even as a former loaded grand cherokee owner, i am not jazzed about this new grand cherokee (L) or the grand wagoneer. I'm sure they're fine, and definitely have nice interiors, but overall... not where i'd be spending that pile of money.

Old 09-01-21, 07:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Even as a former loaded grand cherokee owner, i am not jazzed about this new grand cherokee (L) or the grand wagoneer. I'm sure they're fine, and definitely have nice interiors, but overall... not where i'd be spending that pile of money.
Ex GC owner here too and I feel the same. The Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve is the pick of the litter imo but you still have to deal with the Jeep dealer at the end of the day.
Old 09-01-21, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Ex GC owner here too and I feel the same. The Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve is the pick of the litter imo but you still have to deal with the Jeep dealer at the end of the day.
My Jeep/Chrysler dealer is actually excellent...
Old 09-01-21, 07:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My Jeep/Chrysler dealer is actually excellent...
That's nice, but it's far from the norm. FCA internally acknowledged they had dealer satisfaction issues and JD Power ranked the now-Stellantis brands at the bottom of the dealer satisfaction index this year. As an aside, it's also not great that the GC L Summit and Summit Reserve and Grand Wagoneer specifically are supposed to be competitors to bonafide luxury vehicles and still have a 3 year/36k mile warranty.
Old 09-01-21, 08:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's nice, but it's far from the norm. FCA internally acknowledged they had dealer satisfaction issues and JD Power ranked the now-Stellantis brands at the bottom of the dealer satisfaction index this year. As an aside, it's also not great that the GC L Summit and Summit Reserve and Grand Wagoneer specifically are supposed to be competitors to bonafide luxury vehicles and still have a 3 year/36k mile warranty.
I've used several FCA dealers over the 10 years now that I have had FCA products, I don't think they are really any different than any other mainstream vehicle dealer.

"Competitors to bonafide luxury vehicles" is relative. Take the Grand Cherokee L, it starts at $38k, loaded its just under $70k. That sounds like a lot for a Jeep, but when you look at what you have there, its size, V8 power, RWD architecture, features...something in the 60k range from a luxury carmaker doesnt come close, an MDX is not to that level for instance, nor is a QX60. Even an Aviator compared similarly is going to be a lot more. So, there is still a considerably lower cost at play here.

Now, the Grand Wagoneer at $110k...thats a different story. That vehicle is about $20k overpriced IMO.
Old 09-01-21, 10:08 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
395 hp from a 5.7 hemi nowadays
this^ also when not geared numerically high, the hemi can yield 22-24mpg hwy. Pretty good for 400hp out of the box.

Wanna talk about not using modern engines? The traverse has more or less the same 3.6L powerplant that GM has used since the 90s.
Old 09-01-21, 11:06 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Out of the gate the GCL models seem to have software issues that require visit to the dealer, at least from the posts in the wljeepforum. Doesn't seem serious but people are annoyed on the $60k models
Old 09-01-21, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Out of the gate the GCL models seem to have software issues that require visit to the dealer, at least from the posts in the wljeepforum. Doesn't seem serious but people are annoyed on the $60k models
Thats just Chrysler
Old 09-01-21, 11:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I've used several FCA dealers over the 10 years now that I have had FCA products, I don't think they are really any different than any other mainstream vehicle dealer.

"Competitors to bonafide luxury vehicles" is relative. Take the Grand Cherokee L, it starts at $38k, loaded its just under $70k. That sounds like a lot for a Jeep, but when you look at what you have there, its size, V8 power, RWD architecture, features...something in the 60k range from a luxury carmaker doesnt come close, an MDX is not to that level for instance, nor is a QX60. Even an Aviator compared similarly is going to be a lot more. So, there is still a considerably lower cost at play here.
When a company internally acknowledges they have an issue I'll take their word for it.

Fair point on the content the GC L offers at its price point, although I'm not sure "V8 power" is a plus here given its weaker than most of the boosted 6s.

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Not much different than the luxury competition in that regard. MBs, BMWs, and such have the same issues. Shame they require a visit to the dealer vs. OTA update.
Old 09-01-21, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When a company internally acknowledges they have an issue I'll take their word for it.
I trust my own experience when I have experience in a certain area. Dealers are last on the list of many reasons why I would suggest people think hard before they buy a FCA product.

Fair point on the content the GC L offers at its price point, although I'm not sure "V8 power" is a plus here given its weaker than most of the boosted 6s.
But none of its competitors at its price point offer boosted 6s. MDX, QX60 are NA V6s, A Grand Cherokee L with the Summit Reserve is much better finished and equipped than an X7, GLS, or A7 that you would get for the same money. The V8 offers a feel and sound that has a benefit over a boosted 6 too.

Not much different than the luxury competition in that regard. MBs, BMWs, and such have the same issues. Shame they require a visit to the dealer vs. OTA update.
FCA has TONS of problems with their electronics and infotainment issues that are often not repaired with any sort of update. I will never again buy a first year FCA product.
Old 09-16-21, 04:43 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Does Jeep Grand Cherokee L have brake hold?

I test drove one and neither I or the salesman could find it. There is a electronic parking brake so brake hold should be included. No one in the dealership was any help also. My wife wants one but I would never buy anything without this feature I am hooked on.
Old 09-16-21, 04:54 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
There is a electronic parking brake so brake hold should be included.
This is a faulty assumption. There are MANY cars equipped with electronic parking brakes that do not have automatic brake hold. Our Q7, for example--there's actually a blank button on the center console where the toggle should be, because for some reason Audi doesn't offer this feature in the US. Likewise the Tahoe we rented 2 months ago had an EPB but no auto hold feature. I've actually only seen a few vehicles that DO have it, including several Volvo XC90s we've rented previously.

A quick search suggests that on the Grand Cherokee (and presumably the L) the only way to achieve this result is to engage Adaptive Cruise Control and allow it to bring you to a stop. The brakes will remain applied until you touch the gas pedal to start moving again. Our Q7 also works this way. Older Grand Cherokees had a feature called "Hold 'n Go", which would keep the brakes applied for up to 3 seconds after you release the pedal, but that's not what you're looking for.
Old 09-16-21, 05:06 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2007 Ls460 had it and it worked flawlessly as in my 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe. I think all new Honda's have it. I'm shocked it isn't in all new cars. I never would have bought my Santa Fe without it as I will never buy the new Grand Cherokee. It is a very nice car otherwise.
Old 09-16-21, 08:15 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if this helps but I was interested in a Pacifica but it doesn't have this feature available. So maybe a general Stellantis shortcoming.
Old 09-16-21, 08:16 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Chrysler has been terrible with this. It's not on the Pacificas despite having electronic parking brake. It's only available on the top Summit Reserve for the Grand Cherokee L.

Quick Reply: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L