Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 08:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Yeah its really frustrating these new Chrysler vehicles are missing this feature
Old 09-16-21, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Both of our cars (BMW's) have auto hold. When we first got it I was meh but now it's become a must have on future cars. Especially for city and suburban driving.
Old 09-16-21, 08:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Same, I love brake hold. I hate that the Pacifica doesnt have it since I'm so used to it
Old 09-16-21, 09:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

It's not a feature I've ever warmed up to, but I know many really enjoy it.
Old 09-16-21, 09:58 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

If the vehicle has auto stop/start, it has no way of maintaining enough pressure at a long stop to hold brakes. That's why so many cars don't have it. I haven't ever seen one with both unless it was a hybrid and had a separate battery powered pump that held pressure until the engine restarted.
Old 09-16-21, 10:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
If the vehicle has auto stop/start, it has no way of maintaining enough pressure at a long stop to hold brakes. That's why so many cars don't have it. I haven't ever seen one with both unless it was a hybrid and had a separate battery powered pump that held pressure until the engine restarted.
The Kia Stinger has both auto stop/start and the brake hold function. I remember that from my test drive. Not sure what others have both.
Old 09-16-21, 10:46 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

I am not saying its not possible, just that it requires more components and more complextity, thus adding to cost and one more thing to fail.
Old 09-16-21, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This just isn't true. I can name many cars with auto stop start that also have brake hold, including my Mercedes. The combination of the two features is just not an issue.

Most vehicles today have this feature.
Old 09-16-21, 01:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

As mentioned previously both of our cars have auto hold, and they both have auto stop/start too. They both work very well together and as mentioned are becoming fairly common these days.
Old 09-16-21, 01:20 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Auto hold typically doesn't use the service brakes, so zero hydraulic pressure is required. It sets the electronic parking brake, which by design will continue to remain set permanently for months on end if needed, without the engine running or even if the battery is removed. Then when you touch the gas, it releases it.
Old 09-16-21, 04:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2019 Santa Fe has brake hold AND auto stop/start.
Old 09-16-21, 07:01 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Ok, so we've established many cars have it with auto start/stop. Interesting. I haven't ever seen it on anything other than my LS.
Originally Posted by geko29
Auto hold typically doesn't use the service brakes, so zero hydraulic pressure is required. It sets the electronic parking brake, which by design will continue to remain set permanently for months on end if needed, without the engine running or even if the battery is removed. Then when you touch the gas, it releases it.
The LS uses the service brakes. I know because the electric parking brake in my LS you can hear with the windows down. It whines and then clicks. no whine and no click when using brake hold with the windows down. Also, when the brake actuator fails, brake hold will not function. But the parking brake does. That could just be software programming though.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This just isn't true. I can name many cars with auto stop start that also have brake hold, including my Mercedes. The combination of the two features is just not an issue.

Most vehicles today have this feature.
No, most vehicles today do not have that feature. Maybe most of the cars you drive today have that feature. I drive thousands of cars a year, of all makes and models, and the only one I have seen with it was my LS460. That's not to say that most higher end cars don't have it, because I am sure they do, but to my mind it hasn't become mainstream in your average car until just the last 2-3 years. Most cars on the road today are older than that. You think a 3 year old Chevy Cruze has brake hold? Dream on LOL.
Old 09-16-21, 07:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyota has brake hold as well as start stop with the Highlander 3.5 gas models, same with the RAV4. Upcoming NX will have start stop. I’d be interested to know how it exactly accomplished the brake hold when the engine shuts.
Old 09-16-21, 07:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota has brake hold as well as start stop with the Highlander 3.5 gas models, same with the RAV4. Upcoming NX will have start stop. I’d be interested to know how it exactly accomplished the brake hold when the engine shuts.
Electric pump, or it uses the parking brake.
Old 09-16-21, 07:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Electric pump, or it uses the parking brake.
I don’t think it uses the parking brake until a set period of time. I looked up Cadillac and it states the parking brake engages after 5 minutes but the car maintains brake pressure during that time. Toyota doesn’t have many start stop models so it’s hard to filter through. Parking brake comes on if the seat belt is unfastened. There has to be some info somehere

Quick Reply: 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L