Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
IIHS is a good source for checking out headlight ratings. They do a good job of explaining their proceedure as well as their ratings. The '21 Encore (not a GX) with halogens received a Marginal rating. I didn't search to see if any of the Chevy counterparts have been tested yet.

2021 Buick Encore (iihs.org)

That design is almost a decade old.....they started producing it in 2012.
Old 02-09-21, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is your engine broken-in yet?...(generally the first 500-1000 miles).
i don't believe in 'break in' for modern cars. They're tested hard at the factory and ready to go. Drive it like you stole it.

That also can make a difference in mileage, because, as a new engine and drivetrain breaks in, tolerances between moving parts increases with wear, and the parts move more freely, with less drag and resistance. Not only gas mileage, but acceleration will get better as well. That is why auto magazines don't usually run their performance tests until after break-in.
i don't believe any of that is true today.

My engine only has a few hundred miles on it......that's one reason why I'm expecting better mileage as time goes on...not just with warmer temperatures in the spring.
I don't believe you'll see any better economy except as you say because of warmer weather.
Anyone with a brain, you say? Though you or I may not always agree (or disagree) with their findings, those who work for CR, and evaluate products, are not exactly empty between the ears. They are skilled professionals.
CR's opinions and ratings are firmly based on looking backwards with ludicrous (and opaque) 'analysis'.

Meaning you think halogens have improved? Nope, they still suck.
Old 02-09-21, 11:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
My 2014 BMW has an auto stop/start defeat button which remembers the last setting at startup from the factory. So I don't think it's an EPA regulation.
The only case where it is a regulation is if the manufacturer uses the auto stop function to meet emission regs or to set mpg levels. In that case, there is no defeat button.
Old 02-10-21, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

IIHS tested the 2021 model so after these 9-10 years not much progress or improvement in the halogen lighting. It's up to GM/Buick to make the improvements if they want to.
Old 02-10-21, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Eventually Buick will make LED standard across the lineup for the Encore GX...then what?
Old 02-10-21, 11:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Eventually Buick will make LED standard across the lineup for the Encore GX...then what?
Then what, you ask?

In some ways, I couldn't care less if they do or not. But, in one way, I'm glad I have halogens up front on my 2021. Unlike the Lacrosse, I plan to keep this vehicle past the warranty, especially considering that Buick's Bumper-to-Bumper warranty is only three years now, not four like it was in the past. If the headlights crap out just as the warranty expires (or later), I'd rather replace a halogen bulb than one that costs ten times as much.
Old 02-10-21, 02:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

If the headlights crap out just as the warranty expires (or later), I'd rather replace a halogen bulb than one that costs ten times as much.
Buick has some strange stuff going on...the headlights are halogen, but the fog lights are LED...the daytime running lights are LED on the preferred.
Old 02-10-21, 02:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Buick has some strange stuff going on...the headlights are halogen, but the fog lights are LED...the daytime running lights are LED on the preferred.
I'll never understand why manufacturers do this. Toyota is the same. On my Highlander (previous version), the headlights are halogen, but the DRLs and fog lights are LED. On my parents' RAV4 (current gen), their headlights are LED, but their fog lights are halogen.

On my Tacoma, I have the LED headlights and fogs, but I had to pay extra for them. Halogen is standard.
Old 02-10-21, 02:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'll never understand why manufacturers do this. Toyota is the same. On my Highlander (previous version), the headlights are halogen, but the DRLs and fog lights are LED. On my parents' RAV4 (current gen), their headlights are LED, but their fog lights are halogen.

On my Tacoma, I have the LED headlights and fogs, but I had to pay extra for them. Halogen is standard.
It is nickel and diming....makes you pay for the upgrade....the new Highlander actually has base LED which are halogen reflector..but top trims are beam....my new 4R is led for headlights and fogs across the range...but highbeams are regular bulbs
Old 02-10-21, 04:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There are a lot of things standard on the Preferred model....especially compared to previous GM offerings at that price. I felt, though, that, everything considered, the Select version was still the best value among the three, and many organizations/reviewers, including Consumer Reports, agree with me.
Old 02-10-21, 07:32 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

my LS460 has HID headlamps and halogen fog lights. The fog lights do absolutely nothing at all in fog or snow.
Old 02-10-21, 09:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

But, in one way, I'm glad I have halogens up front on my 2021. Unlike the Lacrosse, I plan to keep this vehicle past the warranty, especially considering that Buick's Bumper-to-Bumper warranty is only three years now, not four like it was in the past. If the headlights crap out just as the warranty expires (or later), I'd rather replace a halogen bulb than one that costs ten times as much.
i've never heard of an LED headlight failing.
Old 02-10-21, 09:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've never heard of an LED headlight failing.

From what I understand, they don't suddenly "burn out" in a conventional sense, but they do get dim and ineffective over time.
Old 02-14-21, 07:56 AM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congratulations!

Here are some camera-shots of the actual vehicle, not Google-shots.

Late to the party...but congrats on the new vehicle!
Reminds me of one of my favorite color combinations on one of my all time favorite cars!
I think you will appreciate this!
Old 02-14-21, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus 1
Late to the party...but congrats on the new vehicle!
Reminds me of one of my favorite color combinations on one of my all time favorite cars!
I think you will appreciate this! Cadillac Coupe DeVille 1973 7.7 V8 - YouTube
Yes, Thanks.....I remember it well.

That Bronze/Cinnamon color goes back to before the 1973 version you posted.....it was quite popular in the late 60s (along with a metallic grass-gran color) on GM products, particularly the mid-size cars.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)