Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 07:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
I imagine it being confusing and frustrating from a service and repair point of view too.
Not really. The Encore and Encore GX are two totally different vehicles. They don't share anything besides the Buick logo and a couple of pieces of interior switchgear/stalks/controls.
Old 03-22-21, 07:29 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not really. The Encore and Encore GX are two totally different vehicles. They don't share anything besides the Buick logo and a couple of pieces of interior switchgear/stalks/controls.
that’s my point. Imagine booking a service appointment or ordering a part, and then dealing with the person on the other end who may or may not hear “GX”.
Old 03-22-21, 07:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't mind the name Encore, its the whole having two unrelated cars in the same lineup that share the same name thing. They should have given the Encore GX a different name if they were going to keep the Encore. Lazy.
To the average person I think the Encore and Encore GX naming is confusing. GX sounds like a trim level vs. a different model. In the U.S. maybe in time Buick will phase out the Encore and just offer the GX or rename one of them to better differentiate the two.
Old 03-22-21, 07:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the name is fine. Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado seem to exist in some parts of the world. Blazer and Trailblazer.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-22-21 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 07:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the name is fine. Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado seem to exist in some parts of the work. Blazer and Trailblazer.
Blazer and Trailblazer have a little better differentiation. It's better than Blazer and Blazer GX would have been.
Old 03-22-21, 08:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Blazer and Trailblazer have a little better differentiation..
What a sec. Trailblazer was originally a trim of the Blazer.
Old 03-22-21, 02:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
that’s my point. Imagine booking a service appointment or ordering a part, and then dealing with the person on the other end who may or may not hear “GX”.
To the average person I think the Encore and Encore GX naming is confusing. GX sounds like a trim level vs. a different model. In the U.S. maybe in time Buick will phase out the Encore and just offer the GX or rename one of them to better differentiate the two.
Agree on both counts
What a sec. Trailblazer was originally a trim of the Blazer.
I don't believe so. They changed the name from Blazer to Trailblazer, but it was never a trim level of the Blazer
Old 03-22-21, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Trailblazer was originally a trim of the Blazer.
I don't believe so. They changed the name from Blazer to Trailblazer, but it was never a trim level of the Blazer
Close, but neither is spot-on. The true Blazer, which was in production from the 1960s to the 1990s, was a two-door-SUV version of the full-size Chevy C/K-Silverado pickup (the later four-door version became the Tahoe). Two years ago, of course, the Blazer name was resurrected in a mid-sized crossover.

The Trailblazer name was first used as a trim-package on the compact Chevy S-10 pickup....then became a truck-based mid-size SUV on its own, separate from the larger full-size Blazer. Last year, of course, the Trailblazer name was resurrected in a new subcompact crossover.....actually the sister vehicle to the Buick Encore GX.
Old 03-22-21, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Agree on both counts

there was Blazer and trim Trailblazer SUVs. Jimmy and trim Envoy SUVs. Then the redesign they dropped the Blazer and Jimmy names.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-22-21 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 03:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

there was Blazer and trim Trailblazer SUVs. Jimmy and trim Envoy SUVs. Then the redesign they dropped the Blazer and Jimmy names.
No. The original Blazer was full-size....and remained so. The S-10 Blazer and GMC Jimmy were based on the compact S-10 pickup. The original Trailblazer SUV was a separate mid-size line.

Yes, it's confusing. Auto marketers never make anything simple LOL.
Old 03-22-21, 03:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No. The original Blazer was full-size....and remained so. The S-10 Blazer and GMC Jimmy were based on the compact S-10 pickup. The original Trailblazer SUV was a separate mid-size line.

Yes, it's confusing. Auto marketers never make anything simple LOL.

the first trailblazer was a trim line of the blazer at the time. He S-10 Blazer it was called.

Old 03-22-21, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

All of this Blazer Trail Blazer etc. talk is shedding light on why GM/Buick went with Encore and Encore GX.
Old 03-22-21, 03:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

All of this Blazer Trail Blazer etc. talk is shedding light on why GM/Buick went with Encore and Encore GX.

The main problem, though, is that neither the name Blazer or Trailblazer should have been brought back for crossover vehicles. Both were originally trucks or truck-based vehicles, and, IMO, to transfer the names to car-based crossovers was a joke.

Having said that, I admit it cannot be argued that the new subcompact Trailblazer crossover has been a huge success....dealerships, including my own, simply can't keep them in stock. It's the wrong name for the right vehicle at the right time. The sister Encore GX does not sell in quite the same numbers as the new Trailblazer, but has also been a major success.....and has pushed the regular Encore out of first-place in American-market Buick sales.
Old 03-22-21, 04:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don’t see what the big deal is. Grand Prix was sold alongside Grand Am. Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prada and there is Land Cruiser 70. Chevy S-10 Blazer and Chevy K5 Blazer. Jeep Cherokee and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Buick Encore and Buick Encore GX. Big deal.
Old 03-23-21, 04:47 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Close, but neither is spot-on. The true Blazer, which was in production from the 1960s to the 1990s, was a two-door-SUV version of the full-size Chevy C/K-Silverado pickup (the later four-door version became the Tahoe). Two years ago, of course, the Blazer name was resurrected in a mid-sized crossover.

The Trailblazer name was first used as a trim-package on the compact Chevy S-10 pickup....then became a truck-based mid-size SUV on its own, separate from the larger full-size Blazer. Last year, of course, the Trailblazer name was resurrected in a new subcompact crossover.....actually the sister vehicle to the Buick Encore GX.
BUT - the comment that prompted this Blazer/Trailblazer discussion was the Encore/GX comment about service departments potentially being confused when appointments are made if the "GX" is not mentioned.

If Chevy service departments are confused about the Blazer/Trailblazer, they need to hire better people.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)