Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 10:24 AM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks good Mike. GM Korea still seems to be doing a good job with their vehicles. I still secretly want a 6 speed manual Spark.
Old 06-28-21, 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I just got a survey in the mail from J.D. Power. I guess it's time to sit down and write some more bull-****.
I got one for my LC500... after quite a bit of time trying to get through it i gave up. Just took way too long. Plus i still work for a living so time is limited.
Old 06-28-21, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I got one for my LC500... after quite a bit of time trying to get through it i gave up. Just took way too long. Plus i still work for a living so time is limited.
They make them WAY too long
Old 06-28-21, 02:36 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,736 Likes on 1,902 Posts

That color really pops. It looks great, and enjoyed the write-up.
Old 06-28-21, 03:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks. Finally able to take decent care of it after a number of assaults by nature and bad luck.
MM , unfortunately I think your encore GX got recalled today for your spare tire jack.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-28-21 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
MM , unfortunately I think your encore GX got recalled today for your spare tire jack.

Yes, Thanks, I know about the upcoming recall....I posted about it several days ago. In fact, I think you replied to it.

I haven't received a formal notice yet.....assuming that my vehicle is one of the affected VINs. GM (and most manufacturers I've dealt with) tend to send out letters in the mail.
Old 06-28-21, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, Thanks, I know about the upcoming recall....I posted about it several days ago. In fact, I think you replied to it.

I haven't received a formal notice yet.....assuming that my vehicle is one of the affected VINs. GM (and most manufacturers I've dealt with) tend to send out letters in the mail.
‘oh. Sorry. I thought it was originally only Encores outside of North America
Old 06-28-21, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
It looks good Mike. GM Korea still seems to be doing a good job with their vehicles.
Thanks. Yes, That's one reason (among many others) why I chose it over the Envision, which, unfortunately, is built in China.

I still secretly want a 6 speed manual Spark.
5MT versions are available in the American market, if you want one. They probably don't offer a 6MT here because of the car's extremely low price. For a vehicle that starts at only $13,400, one has to expect to give up some amenities.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-21 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 06:51 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

As always a great review.....So it seems like the main thing you don't care for is being a 3 pot & Gm cutting down the warranty on Buick's. Kinda similar when Ford went to a 3 pot for the Fist(Fiesta ST) vs the previous 4 pot that was over here. Possibly wouldn't be as noticeable w/ a stick vs auto. Curios, What was the main tipping point for you over the Corsair? Was it the tad bit bigger size?
Old 06-28-21, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Felix
As always a great review.....
Thanks, but I haven't done any true MM-Reviews on new vehicles for quite some time....the last was the 2Gen Toyota Venza and the new Land Rover Defender. When the pandemic hit, I shifted to writing about older cars and/or vehicles from the past.

So it seems like the main thing you don't care for is being a 3 pot & Gm cutting down the warranty on Buick's.
I can easily live with this three-pot turbo, particularly with the Buick Quiet-Tuning which calms some of the noise down. But, yes, I'd definitely prefer at least a four. And, yes, I agree, GM has taken a classic American nameplate and turned it into a lineup of crossovers that are (mostly) built outside the U.S. Buick is fortunate, though, that the Encore GX was pretty much what I was looking for this time.....otherwise, they would have lost me as a customer. The warranty-downgrade, IMO, also cheapens the brand (one formerly got a Cadillac/Lincoln/Lexus warranty at a Buick price)......but I suspect it was done to cut costs. Buick also knows that many of their core, long-time customers are either dying off or hanging up the keys, and their new-generation of younger buyers (like with the GX) aren't as concerned with the brand's past.

Oh, and BTW, it looks like Buick, after the new Envision, is going to introduce still another small crossover in the American Market......the 2Gen Encore (not the GX), which will replace the 1Gen Encore, sold in America from 2013 up to now. The 2Gen Encore, at first, according to GM, was not coming to the U.S. (it was to be a Chinese-staple)......now, it looks like they have changed their minds.

Curious, What was the main tipping point for you over the Corsair? Was it the tad bit bigger size?
Thanks.....an excellent question. No, I didn't necessarily find the Corsair too big. And it also drove quite nicely......with less engine noise and vibration from the turbo-four than the Encore GX's Turbo three. It also has the old 6/70 and 4/50 warranty that Buicks used to have....and don't have any longer. But Ford and Lincoln have had a bad track record lately of introducing new SUVs with problems...the MKC (which I also liked) was loosely-built and unreliable, the Aviator and latest Explorer were beset with numerous problems from Day One, to the point where they had to go back to a completely different plant for repairs. The Corsair was a big improvement over the MKC in many ways, but, according to Consumer Reports, also unreliable. So, even though I knew a number of people at my local Ford/Lincoln shop, from shopping there with other people, and/or when they worked in other dealerships, I decided to pass. In addition, I have a longtime respect and attraction for the Buick nameplate, my dealership has created me superbly (until maybe a couple of very recent exceptions), and Buicks have generally been Better-than Average in reliability....arguably the best reliability for an American nameplate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-21 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 09:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks, but I haven't done any true MM-Reviews on new vehicles for quite some time....the last was the 2Gen Toyota Venza and the new Land Rover Defender. When the pandemic hit, I shifted to writing about older cars and/or vehicles from the past.

I can easily live with this three-pot turbo, particularly with the Buick Quiet-Tuning which calms some of the noise down. But, yes, I'd definitely prefer at least a four. And, yes, I agree, GM has taken a classic American nameplate and turned it into a lineup of crossovers that are (mostly) built outside the U.S. Buick is fortunate, though, that the Encore GX was pretty much what I was looking for this time.....otherwise, they would have lost me as a customer. The warranty-downgrade, IMO, also cheapens the brand (one formerly got a Cadillac/Lincoln/Lexus warranty at a Buick price)......but I suspect it was done to cut costs. Buick also knows that many of their core, long-time customers are either dying off or hanging up the keys, and their new-generation of younger buyers (like with the GX) aren't as concerned with the brand's past.

Oh, and BTW, it looks like Buick, after the new Envision, is going to introduce still another small crossover in the American Market......the 2Gen Encore (not the GX), which will replace the 1Gen Encore, sold in America from 2013 up to now. The 2Gen Encore, at first, according to GM, was not coming to the U.S. (it was to be a Chinese-staple)......now, it looks like they have changed their minds.

Thanks.....an excellent question. No, I didn't necessarily find the Corsair too big. And it also drove quite nicely......with less engine noise and vibration from the turbo-four than the Encore GX's Turbo three. It also has the old 6/70 and 4/50 warranty that Buicks used to have....and don't have any longer. But Ford and Lincoln have had a bad track record lately of introducing new SUVs with problems...the MKC (which I also liked) was loosely-built and unreliable, the Aviator and latest Explorer were beset with numerous problems from Day One, to the point where they had to go back to a completely different plant for repairs. The Corsair was a big improvement over the MKC in many ways, but, according to Consumer Reports, also unreliable. So, even though I knew a number of people at my local Ford/Lincoln shop, from shopping there with other people, and/or when they worked in other dealerships, I decided to pass. In addition, I have a longtime respect and attraction for the Buick nameplate, my dealership has created me superbly (until maybe a couple of very recent exceptions), and Buicks have generally been Better-than Average in reliability....arguably the best reliability for an American nameplate.
I honestly think the 4 warranty thing is a little overrated at this point…Buick’s are quite reliable and you don’t drive it all that much that you may not hit the miles part. . What is the powertrain warranty? Gotta be 5 years.
Old 06-29-21, 07:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I honestly think the 4 warranty thing is a little overrated at this point…Buick’s are quite reliable and you don’t drive it all that much that you may not hit the miles part. . What is the powertrain warranty? Gotta be 5 years.
The drivetrain warranty is now the 5/60 you see in many mainstream brands. To be honest, under normal circumstances, that is usually about the length of time I keep a vehicle...but the rollback on the Bumper-to-Bumper coverage from 4 to 3 years is significant, although I usually don't drive that many miles either.

Buicks are indeed generally more reliable then average, but IMO, their engines and transmissions are not as problem-free as those from Toyota or Lexus. My Verano, as with other GM products that used the same engine, had oil-consumption problems from bad piston-rings, and the Lacrosse had some hiccups in the 4-5-6 transmission-shifts that would come and go.

And that's not to say that Lexus drivetrains are all perfect, either LOL. My old Lexus IS300 also had an occasional hiccup in the engine/transmission ECU programming....which factory updates did not adequately address.
Old 07-03-21, 09:02 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Great that your enjoying your GX....Like you mentioned Ford sure is having issue's w/ they're new gen 6 explorer, as far as the engines for the Corsair which Ford has been using for yrs, the 2L turbo which started out w/ the "13 Fost had no problems in stock or lightly modified. The 2.3L had a head gasket recall on a few of the first run of RS's, being in a fwd there's going to be a cooling issue vs the same engine in a rwd, as well as using a open deck block, but there are quite a few open blocks, such as the 2gr....Comparing the different manufactures that CR looks at, you'll find possibly one model will hold the whole marque up while other models bring it down. I'm not brand loyal as I look at the category of the different manufactures as I ask many ppl, Name one manufacturer that produces great vehicles from the entry level model to they're top tier model? As you mentioned Buick motor company isn't the same as it was as other manufactures aren't either as they have to evolve to keep going, whatever that maybe & bring nowadays.....Enjoy your old vehicle reviews btw.....
Old 08-04-21, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I got the jack-recall from Buick last night in the mail....a paper copy. Kind of sounded like the recent recalls from Kia and Hyundai telling people not to park in the garage. It said the new jacks aren't available yet, but, in the meantime, not to try and use the existing jack for a lift. The new jacks are on the way, and Buick is going to send out another notice when they are ready.

This recall also affects the Chevy Trailblazer, as it is mechanically the same as the GX.
Old 08-04-21, 04:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I got the jack-recall from Buick last night in the mail....a paper copy. Kind of sounded like the recent recalls from Kia and Hyundai telling people not to park in the garage. It said the new jacks aren't available yet, but, in the meantime, not to try and use the existing jack for a lift. The new jacks are on the way, and Buick is going to send out another notice when they are ready.

This recall also affects the Chevy Trailblazer, as it is mechanically the same as the GX.
It’s astonishing that after 100+ years of making cars, General Motors did not get the jack right. A very strange recall.

Hope they get it right for you

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)