Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 04:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s astonishing that after 100+ years of making cars, General Motors did not get the jack right. Hope they get it right for you

I've only actually used a jack once in the last 10 years or so......when my Verano's left rear tire picked up a huge jagged piece of metal in a parking lot and was trashed. Even though it was cold and the temperature around freezing, I changed the tire myself right there in the lot, and put on the temporary spare after airing it up to about 55 PSI or so with my portable air-compressor.....I carry one of those small compressors with me in the trunk wherever I go. They also come in handy for helping out other drivers you run into who need air.

And why are you astonished? ALL manufacturers come out with recalls....whether they have been in business for a century, or are just getting started. Toyota/Lexus, not long ago, had a recall for millions of defective fuel pumps that could cause engine stalling.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-04-21 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-04-21, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,957 Posts

It’s not that GM could not get the Jack right. It’s that they didn’t balance cheap and safe properly.
Old 08-04-21, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I wonder if the jack's made in china.
Old 08-04-21, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I wonder if the jack's made in china.

Possibly...I don't know. The assembly plant itself is in South Korea.....not far from the plant that produced my brother's Kia Sportage.
Old 09-05-21, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The 2022 Encore GX is now on sale and in Buick's web-site.

https://www.buick.com/suvs/encore-gx

The only change on the 2022s that I might (?) have waited for, had it been offered last year, is the new orangish Sunset Metallic color...it's gorgeous, IMO better-looking than even the Burnished Bronze Metallic (actually, a brownish cinnamon-colored shade) that I ordered on the 2021. I get a lot of compliments on that Bronze color, but I'd probably get even more with this year's Sunset.

And, below, my Burnished Bronze.

Old 09-06-21, 05:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,445 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Besides that color, what else has changed for '22?
Old 09-06-21, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Besides that color, what else has changed for '22?
Well, several other non-neutral colors (the whites and the steel-gray remain). Besides that, not a great deal....some minor trim/equipment-adjustments, and some minor price-changes, both up and down, depending on trim version. Actual asking-prices at the dealership, though, might (?) be higher this year, because of the Seller's Market right now.

This will give you some of the details.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buic...-new-features/

I suspect that, in another year or so, we will see a mid-generation update....perhaps a hybrid or electric version. It will also have to compete with the new GEM-platform 2Gen Encore, if GM decides to bring it here to the U.S....they will be sold out of the same showrooms, as the 9-year-old 1Gen Encore still is today. It's already competing with the Chevy Trailblazer, which is often (but not always) sold out of the same showroom.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-06-21 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-13-21, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One feature on the Encore GX that, IMO, works superbly compared to similar features in past vehicles I've owned is the automatic headlight-dimmer. I remember, on my old '65 Buick, the dimmer was a plastic device, shaped more or less like a jet-engine pod, that was mounted on top of the center of the dash, and almost never worked the way it was supposed to. It had a photo-eye-sensor in the front, and the headlights of oncoming vehicles were supposed to click the headlights down from high beam to low beam. That was also before the days of the standardized blue high-beam symbol, and different cars had different color dash-lights for the high beam. In all the time I owned that car, I think the system actually worked, and clicked the high-beams down, only once or twice....in an erratic manner, with audible clicks. This, despite the fact that many roads back then were much darker at night, without much of the oncoming traffic and street lights we have today.

Today, of course, especially in my area, development and traffic have vastly increased the number of roads and streets that are fairly well-lit at night, but, on the relatively few roads in my area that DO get dark enough at night, with light enough traffic, for the system to work, Buick's system today is superb. (I suspect that it uses the same electronics as those in Chevy/GMC/Cadillac vehicles). The system detects oncoming vehicle like clockwork, and, the instant their headlights pop up over a crest or around a curve in the road ahead, or the instant the vehicle passes, the system flawlessly turns the blue indicator on and off, and adjusts the beams as needed. It's a pleasure to watch it as it works.
Old 09-13-21, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This technology has come a long way. My dad had it on his 90 Lincoln Continental and it was a mess. Both our cars have it now, as did my LS460L and it works great
Old 09-13-21, 06:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One feature on the Encore GX that, IMO, works superbly compared to similar features in past vehicles I've owned is the automatic headlight-dimmer. I remember, on my old '65 Buick, the dimmer was a plastic device, shaped more or less like a jet-engine pod, that was mounted on top of the center of the dash, and almost never worked the way it was supposed to. It had a photo-eye-sensor in the front, and the headlights of oncoming vehicles were supposed to click the headlights down from high beam to low beam. That was also before the days of the standardized blue high-beam symbol, and different cars had different color dash-lights for the high beam. In all the time I owned that car, I think the system actually worked, and clicked the high-beams down, only once or twice....in an erratic manner, with audible clicks. This, despite the fact that many roads back then were much darker at night, without much of the oncoming traffic and street lights we have today.

Today, of course, especially in my area, development and traffic have vastly increased the number of roads and streets that are fairly well-lit at night, but, on the relatively few roads in my area that DO get dark enough at night, with light enough traffic, for the system to work, Buick's system today is superb. (I suspect that it uses the same electronics as those in Chevy/GMC/Cadillac vehicles). The system detects oncoming vehicle like clockwork, and, the instant their headlights pop up over a crest or around a curve in the road ahead, or the instant the vehicle passes, the system flawlessly turns the blue indicator on and off, and adjusts the beams as needed. It's a pleasure to watch it as it works.
‘So you are talking about the automatic high beam?
Old 09-13-21, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘So you are talking about the automatic high beam?
Essentially, yes. It detects oncoming headlights (and bright/dim streetlights) and automatically raises or lowers the beam as needed, with the blue dash-indicator going on and off. And, unlike the old jet-pod camera-eye of decades ago, it actually works.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-21 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This technology has come a long way. My dad had it on his 90 Lincoln Continental and it was a mess. Both our cars have it now, as did my LS460L and it works great

So, apparently, even that late (1990), they still had not really perfected it.
Old 09-13-21, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So, apparently, even that late (1990), they still had not really perfected it.
Yeah they absolutely had not by then. Then it disappeared from cars for a long while until recently.
Old 09-13-21, 07:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Essentially, yes. It detects oncoming headlights (and bright/dim streetlights) and automatically raises or lowers the beam as needed, with the blue dash-indictor going on and off. And, unlike the old jet-pod camera-eye of decades ago, it actually works.
Wow…I learned something from you MM. never knew about the eye systems they had in the past. I do indeed have auto high beams on my new 4R….for the most part I do like them, but sometimes they can be a little temperamental in the sense that they go on and then off real quick…on occasion they seam to stay on sometimes longer than I’d expect when a oncoming vehicle is in front of if I found a corner and there is a vehicle I am behind. But for the most part, I do like the technology
Old 09-13-21, 07:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yeah, they go way back. Automatic headlights too could be found in those 60s GM cars, "Twilight Sentinel" which it was called at GM up through the 90s.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)