Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 12:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. Yes. I know I might have gotten more on a private sale, but it just wasn't worth the additional hassles over what we already go through with a typical new car today. I was up late last night with insurance, satellite radio, On Star, county-tax-registration, etc...and also a good part of this morning. And I'll be up every night for weeks trying to learn the electronic programming LOL
I always trade too, its just too big a hassle to try and sell them on my own. I mean...more money is great but there are limits LOL.

Interesting you have to register it with the county, I would think the dealer would do that.

They probably weren't lying...or trying to sell me any financing. They knew that I wasn't going to need any financing. I wouldn't be in that showroom, under those conditions, if I needed a loan....and they knew it. What they can do or not do is very tightly regulated nowadays.

They also did that credit-application the last time I bought the Lacrosse there, and it did not affect my credit-rating....nor was my ID hacked. The only thing that ever actually drove down my credit-score had nothing to do with a dealership......it was when I dumped my old credit card and took out a new one that paid more cash back on each transaction....and, at the time, I also added a new bank account to my existing ones that had not existed before. That was enough to do it.
If they told you that they had to pull your credit by law, they were lying to you.

An inquiry definitely will hurt your credit a little in the short term. Usually as long as you don't have more than 3 recent inquiries its not a big deal. Of course your identity wont be stolen every time, but every time its pulled and more people have access to your credit file it gives more people opportunities to steal your identity. Why give anybody the chance when its not necessary? Just a little advice to you and others when a dealership tries to say they have to pull your credit for you to pay cash for a car (I have also been told that and declined).
Old 01-13-21, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I always trade too, its just too big a hassle to try and sell them on my own. I mean...more money is great but there are limits LOL.

Interesting you have to register it with the county, I would think the dealer would do that.

If they told you that they had to pull your credit by law, they were lying to you.

An inquiry definitely will hurt your credit a little in the short term. Usually as long as you don't have more than 3 recent inquiries its not a big deal. Of course your identity wont be stolen every time, but every time its pulled and more people have access to your credit file it gives more people opportunities to steal your identity. Why give anybody the chance when its not necessary? Just a little advice to you and others when a dealership tries to say they have to pull your credit for you to pay cash for a car (I have also been told that and declined).

Well, I'll be there again tomorrow, for the interior/exterior protection-application, and to order the rubber floor mats. I'll ask them if they have any documented proof that it is Federally-required, rather than simple word-of-mouth. If they don't have something credible, then you may have something.

I also might have to get some help (or reprogramming) on some of the push-button functions.
Old 01-13-21, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I'll be there again tomorrow, for the interior/exterior protection-application, and to order the rubber floor mats. I'll ask them if they have any documented proof that it is Federally-required, rather than simple word-of-mouth. If they don't have something credible, then you may have something.

I also might have to get some help (or reprogramming) on some of the push-button functions.
Im 100% sure that I'm correct. Read the article I posted above. Like I said, they tried to insist with me, I refused and I still left with the car. Had it been federally mandated they would have had to deny me the purchase. Even if they didn't try and sell you any financing, they likely get pressure from their superiors why they didnt try to, and having a credit application from you shows they "tried' In any event, that isn't your problem.

This thread isnt about that its about your new car though. What did that interior/exterior package cost you?

Old 01-13-21, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I like the white interior. We have it in our car (ivory actually) and haven't had any issues with keeping it clean or dye transfer with jeans which I wear all of the time.
In the Encore GX, it's an extremely light bone/ivory color...almost pure white. I didn't have any problems with similar interior beige/ivory/off-white showing a lot of dirt in any car I've had.......but, then again, I don't have kids, and am careful how I treat the insides of my vehicles.

You're not the only person to bring up the jeans/dye problem...but, in my experience, most new jeans sold today don't turn the inside of your wash-machine blue like the former ones did. The clothing-manufacturers are more careful today to see that the dye is pre-bled before new garments are shipped.
Old 01-13-21, 12:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This thread isnt about that its about your new car though.
No problem. You often bring up good points. You didn't get that large "Help-Likes" total (1500+) for nothing.

What did that interior/exterior package cost you?
It was around $700...buy good for the life of the vehicle (one more incentive to keep it LOL) and covers a whole slew of feature-protection from road salt to interior upholstery to seat-upholstery (white cloth) to a bunch of other features.......and (most important to me) washes-on-request. I got it mostly for the road-salt and washings. Some of it may have been money/features not needed, but some of it, in view, was well-spent.

They tried to sell me on some other after-sale "packs", too (what dealership doesn't?)...but I turned them all down. I've learned at least a little from P.T. Barnum LOL.
Old 01-13-21, 12:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, at $700 thats probably not worth it. The wash question depends on how good the carwashes are, you can pay a good detailer to come to your home and wash your car for not a whole lot of money...but you get to $700 quickly. If its a crappy wash though thats a different story
Old 01-13-21, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

It's going to take me weeks to get all of the electronic functions set up and adjusted correctly....assuming that they are working properly and don't need re-programming (which I'll find out with time). This thing is more complex than the space-shuttle LOL.
yes you mentioned that twice, but i highly doubt it will take 'weeks'. having said that, i'm still working my way through a 90 minute 'orientation' video for my new car. i can't face reading the boring manuals.

about the dealer pulling credit even though you paid for it, they should not have done that... i assume they did it to try to figure out what rate they could offer you to try to convince you to finance it.
when i recently bought my new car, i know they didn't run my credit because i've got it locked/frozen at all the agencies.
Old 01-13-21, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really like orientation videos, not sure why more carmakers dont do them. Much better than the manual.
Old 01-13-21, 03:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I really like orientation videos, not sure why more carmakers dont do them. Much better than the manual.
except the one for my LC was done by a dealer in NC, not Lexus. but it's very good anyway.
Old 01-13-21, 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats on the new Buick Marshall. Love the interior contrasting color set up. It’s a stylish little crossover...GM infotainment is pretty good....good luck with it
Old 01-13-21, 03:42 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry--you had to sign 60-70 different forms? Without getting a loan? How is that even possible? I think I would have walked out. Loan paper work for multi-million dollar loans (multi hundred million dollars even) don't require that many signatures.
Old 01-13-21, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes you mentioned that twice, but i highly doubt it will take 'weeks'.

Ha. I know cars themselves like the back of my own hand, but that doesn't extend to computers....which today's vehicles become more and more like each day.

having said that, i'm still working my way through a 90 minute 'orientation' video for my new car. i can't face reading the boring manuals.
Buick has short instruction-videos, for various functions, on You-Tube and their web-site, but not integrated into a 90-minute session like you are talking about. And they aren't much help if the systems aren't programmed properly at the factory to start with.

Also, on the manuals you dislike....they can be downloaded in pdf form, if you say you don't like thumbing through the paper/book copies. I don't like the regular paper/book-styles, either....it's sometimes difficult to keep a page open if you aren't holding it with both hands. I only keep a book handy in the car in case I need it on the road and I'm not at home on my computer.

Here's the one for your car, BTW.

https://carmanuals2.com/lexus/lc500-...-manual-113705

about the dealer pulling credit even though you paid for it, they should not have done that... i assume they did it to try to figure out what rate they could offer you to try to convince you to finance it.
Nope, they didn't even ask about financing. I think they are just so used to running the checks on the vast majority of those who DO finance (or lease) that it is just unusual for them to deal with those, like me, who don't need it, that it has probably just become a routine with them....like taking the body-temperature of those going into and out of public places who have never had COVID symptoms.

when i recently bought my new car, i know they didn't run my credit because i've got it locked/frozen at all the agencies.
Locking it doesn't necessarily mean that a legitimate potential lender can't look at your rating. What it primarily means is that no one can hack it and make any changes.....including you, until you unlock it.

My salesman, BTW (the one I've dealt with on all three of my Buick purchases) is an ex-police detective, back home in the State of Kentucky where he is from. He spent part of his career going after sales-crooks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-21 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-13-21, 03:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Locking it doesn't necessarily mean that a legitimate potential lender can't look at your rating. What it primarily means is that no one can hack it and make any changes.....including you, until you unlock it..
Thats not accurate. When your credit reports are locked nobody can even pull a report and look at your score without you unlocking it.
Old 01-13-21, 03:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
except the one for my LC was done by a dealer in NC, not Lexus. but it's very good anyway.
I've seen those videos that dealer made, they're very good. I like downloading a PDF of the manual. You can get them on lexusdrivers.com
Old 01-13-21, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Congrats on the new Buick Marshall. Love the interior contrasting color set up. It’s a stylish little crossover...GM infotainment is pretty good....good luck with it
Thanks, Jill. Yes, the two-tone interior, IMO, was a no-brainer. Even the Encore GX reviewers remarked that the black monotone interior looked like something out of Clancy's Funeral Home. A black/camel-tan combo interior, in leather, is available on the top-line Essence trim level, but I preferred the black and off-white.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)