Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly? I really don't care where a vehicle is built as long as its built well. Its a global world we live in now.
Not everyone shares that view. Globalism has caused as many, if not more, problems than it has solved....particularly in depressing wages.
Old 09-19-21, 07:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep....I probably would not have purchased an Encore GX if it, like the Envision, was built in China. I would have taken an even harder look at the Lincoln Corsair (American-spec versions are built in Louisville, KY), although, unfortunately, though not as bad as with the Aviator, the Corsair has not been a problem-free launch experience for Lincoln.
i'll give you points for creative goal post moving.

must be a sedan!
oops, must be made in america!
oops, must not be made in china!
thank goodness you could find a 3 cylinder cuv made in s. korea by union labor!

Old 09-19-21, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Not everyone shares that view. Globalism has caused as many, if not more, problems than it has solved....particularly in depressing wages.
Fewer and fewer people don't share that view (as bit demonstrated, your view has softened tremendously also), and when you get down to millennials who are already the largest consumers for vehicles, and thats only going to grow over the next 10 years as they get well into their 30s and 40s, they really don't care. Debating globalism in this context makes no sense, because it is what it is.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

must be a sedan!
So funny lol. Bottom line too is the vast majority of people have "convinctions" that are just as weak and flexible, so there is no penalty for carmakers making products anywhere.
Old 09-19-21, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

must be a sedan!
As others also sometimes do, you have mischaracterized what I've been saying. First, I've owned several non-sedans in the past....Plymouth Barracuda (pony car), Subaru Outback (AWD wagon), Chrysler Newport 2-door coupe, Buick Electra 4-door hardtop (non-sedan), and Toyota Celica sport-coupe. Also (briefly) had a Saturn SC-2 coupe. Second, I never said MUST be made in the U.S....I'd prefer UAW manufacture at home, but, if that's not the case, IMO Korean Union-manufacture (like with my Encore GX) is far preferable to Chinese manufacture.
Old 09-19-21, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fewer and fewer people don't share that view (as bit demonstrated, your view has softened tremendously also), and when you get down to millennials who are already the largest consumers for vehicles, and thats only going to grow over the next 10 years as they get well into their 30s and 40s, they really don't care. Debating globalism in this context makes no sense, because it is what it is.
First, if one looks at actual monetary wealth, the Baby Boomers are arguably the richest generation in the country's history....far more so than Millenials. They have the most disposable income to spend on new vehicles, although eventually the Millenials may catch up.

Now, I'm not saying that to imply that I am greedy, or worship money....far from it. For several reasons, I actually live a more frugal lifestyle than my bank-accounts would allow. I like the idea of HAVING money in the bank, as a cushion for emergencies or unplanned-needs, rather then blowing it all just because it's there....that's how people get into trouble.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/08/baby...llennials.html

Old 09-19-21, 11:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

First, if one looks at actual monetary wealth, the Baby Boomers are arguably the richest generation in the country's history....far more so than Millenials. They have the most disposable income to spend on new vehicles, although eventually the Millenials may catch up.l
That means nothing. Its a fact that the largest group of vehicle buyers right now is millennials. The % of buyers who are millennials is only going to increase over the next 10 years. The number of baby boomers shrinks every year as they die off an enter age ranges where they are no longer strong consumers. Don't believe me? Read it for yourself:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/17/b...e-carvana.html

But in 2020 millennials bought more new cars than any other age group, accounting for 32 percent of total new-car sales, edging out baby boomers for the first time, according to the market research firm J.D. Power.
And of course baby boomers have more wealth than millennials, they are at the end of their adult lives while millennials are at the beginning.

Millennials have always lived with globalization and they don't care where things are built, but they do care about brands.
Old 09-19-21, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

That means nothing. Its a fact that the largest group of vehicle buyers right now is millennials. The % of buyers who are millennials is only going to increase over the next 10 years. The number of baby boomers shrinks every year as they die off an enter age ranges where they are no longer strong consumers. .
This is indeed true. This goes across multiple industries. Movies are geared towards younger people. So are all the advertisements. Old folks and boomers are advertised drugs and meds on CNN which NBA broadcasts get all the younger tech and emerging brands

Millennials have always lived with globalization and they don't care where things are built, but they do care about brands.
Most people do not care where products are made. I care to a specific point as I don’t really need a new car like when I bought my 4R last year, but I wanted something that was made in Japan. I probably would have balked if 4R was made in the US and for sure if it was made in Mexico. If I were to buy a Mercedes, I think I would want it to come from Germany as heritage does play a part in my purchases.

If I were desperate and absolutely needed a new car…it would not matter.. although I am not sure if I would a Chinese made car.

, I never said MUST be made in the U.S....I'd prefer UAW manufacture at home, but, if that's not the case,.
I have very often seen you mention “American labour” which is odd because you bought a Buick that was made overseas.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-19-21 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-19-21, 12:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is indeed true. This goes across multiple industries. Movies are geared towards younger people. So are all the advertisements. Old folks and boomers are advertised drugs and meds on CNN which NBA broadcasts get all the younger tech and emerging brands
Yep, we just had a presentation about millennial homebuyers, the largest group of homebuyers is Millennials, and we're fast approaching a point where the largest group of millennials will cross into the age range where the average person buys their first home (33 years old or so), which is very good news for the real estate market.

Its just a function of age, baby boomers are becoming older and they aren't spending money on things like they were and millennials are reaching the beginning of their prime earning and consuming years.

Most people do not care where products are made. I care to a specific point as I don’t really need a new car like when I bought my 4R last year, but I wanted something that was made in Japan. I probably would have balked if 4R was made in the US and for sure if it was made in Mexico. If I were to buy a Mercedes, I think I would want it to come from Germany as heritage does play a part in my purchases.
I would prefer a Lexus or Toyota made in Japan or a Mercedes made in Germany, but it wouldnt be a deciding factor for me. For instance I was considering an X7, it made no difference to me it was made in the US vs a 7 Series being made in Germany.

I have very often seen you mention “American labour” which is odd because you bought a Buick that was made overseas.
Its easy to have convictions in concept, harder when they cost you money and impact your choices.
Old 09-19-21, 01:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
although I am not sure if I would a Chinese made car.
Yes....that is also one of my points. It might be a deal breaker for me.

With all due respect, my patience is starting to wear thin on this subject...I get tired of repeating the same thing over and over. PLEASE READ. I've said, more than once, that if possible, I vastly prefer American UAW or Canadian UNIFOR labor, and believe one should support one's country, If not possible (which is the case wth the GX, since it is built in South Korea, with Koean Unionzied labor, that country, an ally of ours, is far preferable to the Chinese. In a pinch, however (as with some of the situations my neighbors may be facing)....even Chinese manufacture may be better than walking LOL.
Old 09-19-21, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of other options in that segment that are built in America...its a reasonable point. You would rather buy a car built in America, but only if the car you want is built in America.
Old 09-19-21, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

must be a sedan!

I would also respectfully add, in addition to what I said before, that going from a Miata to a G90 to three different mid-size SUVs (a truck-based Explorer, a car-based Santa Fe, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee) to a mid-size Camry sedan to a Lexus sport-coupe hardly qualifies one to point a finger at others and say that THEY are moving goal-posts LOL.
Old 09-19-21, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would also respectfully add, in addition to what I said before, that going from a Miata to a G90 to three different mid-size SUVs (a truck-based Explorer, a car-based Santa Fe, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee) to a mid-size Camry sedan to a Lexus coupe hardly qualifies one to point a finger at others and say that THEY are moving goal-posts LOL.
But he never railed against any of those types of vehicles before he bought one.
Old 09-19-21, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

But he never railed against any of those types of vehicles before he bought one.
The comparison was pretty much apples and oranges.
Old 09-19-21, 03:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Neither did I. In fact, as I said, I once owned several of them myself.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The comparison was pretty much apples and oranges.
If that's the case, then it was an apple/orange-juice mix.
Old 09-19-21, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyhow, back to my own GX. Some good news today. It took a week and a half after the reprogramming the infotainment-screen got with the oil-change, but it may be finally having some effect on that stubborn issue of the SD-NAV-box popping up in the screen every time I start the engine. Started it and stopped several times today.....last couple of times, no more box at all. We'll see if it lasts.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)