Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 05:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

There are not “official” age ranges for any generation, but there’s a generally understood and agreed upon range.

As for Wal Mart, it’s off topic here but Wal Mart has extremely un-employee friendly and non competition friendly business practices. They destroy small businesses…there’s a lot.

As for tools built in America, Google it.

https://allamericanreviews.com/tool-brands/

https://www.usalovelist.com/american-made-tools/

May not be easy, but if you want to do it you can.

Old 09-20-21, 06:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There are not “official” age ranges for any generation, but there’s a generally understood and agreed upon range.

As for Wal Mart, it’s off topic here but Wal Mart has extremely un-employee friendly and non competition friendly business practices. They destroy small businesses…there’s a lot.

As for tools built in America, Google it.

https://allamericanreviews.com/tool-brands/

https://www.usalovelist.com/american-made-tools/

May not be easy, but if you want to do it you can.
I don't think there is a agreed age range, it varies which is why I do not know why those labels are used so much. As for Wal Mart, Amazon treats it's employees like crap too and has done more damage to small businesses, stores, retail Jobs then Wal Mart so Bezos can hoard billions upon billions, same with several places like Target, Best Buy, etc.
Old 09-20-21, 07:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have bought 2 cars made in the US, they were Japanese branded but made in the US with US labor. Again I don't really care much about buying a Japanese or German made car, Chinese made though I will not give them that kind of money or trust it.

It is not easy at all to avoid products made in China aside from electronics, just about everything from staplers, pens, tools, etc is made in China. I wanted to buy US made tools several years ago, every brand that I thought was made in the US was made in China, that goes for power tools too, I had no real choice at the common stores.

I never bought clothes from Wal Mart, most of the clothes I buy are not made in China, one of the few exceptions. Not made in the US but not made in China. Not sure what is so wrong with Wal Mart though compared to most brick and mortar stores, not like the other places carry mostly non China stuff or pay their employees any more.

I have paid more money to get US or Japanese/German made products over Chinese but that has to do with quality too, it is hard to even find Japanese branded products made in Japan.

Different sources have different age ranges for Millenials, there is no official age range or definition. I remember when Kanye West said he was a millennial at some MTV thing and then people were making fun of him saying he was too old to be a millennial but others were saying he was too young to be Gen X so he is more or less a Millennial or maybe in between. I remember in the early to mid 90's I was told I was too young to be Gen X, Gen X generation was people a good deal older then me/you but then as the years went by the definition/range seemed change, some consider our age group Gen X. The grunge bands, NIN, Dr. Dre, etc were considered Gen X bands, the voice of Gen X yet most of them are at least in their mid 50's now, some late 50's, the movie "Reality Bites" was labeled a/the Gen X film, same with "Singles" yet most of the actors/director of those films are in their mid to late 50's so how does Gen X span such a wide age range and millennials seems to span a shorter age range. I don't really identify or care about those age group labels even though they get brought up all the time, kind of don't want to identify or consider myself a millennial because I think it is mostly negative but never really thought I was Gen X either, it is all kind of dumb.
Sometimes you do not have a choice of buying Made in USA. But you DO have a choice of buying a car made in the USA with America labour and a choice of union or non union labor.

Old 09-20-21, 07:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I don't think there is a agreed age range, it varies which is why I do not know why those labels are used so much. As for Wal Mart, Amazon treats it's employees like crap too and has done more damage to small businesses, stores, retail Jobs then Wal Mart so Bezos can hoard billions upon billions, same with several places like Target, Best Buy, etc.
We look at generational buying behaviors extensively in my business, there is absolutely a commonly agreed upon age range. There are differences of opinions a couple years on each end but for the most part it’s agreed upon.

Amazon is not great either but they treat employees exponentially better than WalMart. I have a client that has spent his career (he’s an employment attorney) representing people in suits against WalMart. Their practices are on another level from any other employer.

Wal Mart actively works within the government both on a national level and locally in small rural towns that they go into in an effort to stack things against local business owners. They systematically put local business owners out of business by selling products below cost and attracting their workers and then once they reach a certain % of local residents employed they dump their pay while raising prices and then use their status as a prominent indispensable local employer to negotiate even more favorable business arrangements for themselves. Just a despicable company.
Old 09-20-21, 07:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Sometimes you do not have a choice of buying Made in USA. But you DO have a choice of buying a car made in the USA with America labour and a choice of union or non union labor.
Its the easiest thing to buy American. The content and point of origin and and construction are right on the sticker.
Old 09-20-21, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Wal Mart actively works within the government both on a national level and locally in small rural towns that they go into in an effort to stack things against local business owners. They systematically put local business owners out of business by selling products below cost and attracting their workers and then once they reach a certain % of local residents employed they dump their pay while raising prices and then use their status as a prominent indispensable local employer to negotiate even more favorable business arrangements for themselves. Just a despicable company.
It is what it is. Nobody forces people to shop at Walmart. Vendors don’t have to align themselves either.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-20-21 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 08:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

In some cases, I'm open to buying something made in the U.S. without UAW labor...particularly if the company treats their employees well. I owned a Lafayette, IN-built Subaru Outback for six years. That plant, to my knowledge, is not UAW....or, at least, was not at the time.

I just can't stomach the idea of supporting the (virtual) slave-labor system in China, that's all....and, IMO, it is a stain on the Buick nameplate for having both the 1Gen and 2Gen Envision built there. And, there are apparently a number of other Americans who feel the same way. Neither-generation has been a very good seller in the U.S, despite a vast improvement in the interior/exterior styling of the 2Gen, except for the awkward transmission push/pull buttons. In fairness, though, the pandemic may also be affecting the sales of the 2Gen.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-21 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-21-21, 04:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As others also sometimes do, you have mischaracterized what I've been saying. First, I've owned several non-sedans in the past....Plymouth Barracuda (pony car), Subaru Outback (AWD wagon), Chrysler Newport 2-door coupe, Buick Electra 4-door hardtop (non-sedan), and Toyota Celica sport-coupe. Also (briefly) had a Saturn SC-2 coupe. Second, I never said MUST be made in the U.S....I'd prefer UAW manufacture at home, but, if that's not the case, IMO Korean Union-manufacture (like with my Encore GX) is far preferable to Chinese manufacture.
The fact of the matter is that most people who beat the drum of "Buy American Cars" have no idea where their car is actually built; they just base their judgment on the nameplate.
Old 09-21-21, 04:42 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Vendors don’t have to align themselves either.
Don't believe this. My father used to work for Proctor & Gamble - not some small outfit. Walmart put them thru the ringer, like all other vendors. It would have been a disaster for P&G if they didn't sell at Walmart.
Old 09-21-21, 06:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Don't believe this. My father used to work for Proctor & Gamble - not some small outfit. Walmart put them thru the ringer, like all other vendors. It would have been a disaster for P&G if they didn't sell at Walmart.
This is absolutely correct. Walmart has extensive leverage with vendors and they know how to use it. Putting vendors thru the ringer is an accurate way to describe it.
Old 09-21-21, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is what it is. Nobody forces people to shop at Walmart. Vendors don’t have to align themselves either.
Yep, its a choice.

I just can't stomach the idea of supporting the (virtual) slave-labor system in China, that's all....and, IMO, it is a stain on the Buick nameplate for having both the 1Gen and 2Gen Envision built there. And, there are apparently a number of other Americans who feel the same way. Neither-generation has been a very good seller in the U.S, despite a vast improvement in the interior/exterior styling of the 2Gen, except for the awkward transmission push/pull buttons. In fairness, though, the pandemic may also be affecting the sales of the 2Gen.
This is where the hypocrisy comes in. You support the "slave labor system in China" a great deal by choosing to buy clothing and products made in China from Wal Mart. So, your statement that you can't stomach the system is BS, because you clearly can for some products, just not cars. If you truly cared about that, you wouldn't buy anything made in china that you didnt have to.

The fact that you refuse to accept that is dishonest, you're being dishonest with yourself if you don't actually see that or dishonest with us when you say you are taking a stand against that.
Old 09-21-21, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
The fact of the matter is that most people who beat the drum of "Buy American Cars" have no idea where their car is actually built; they just base their judgment on the nameplate.
Is it that difficult to at least look at the price sticker? I'm assuming that most people who purchase vehicles can read past first-grade level.

Old 09-21-21, 08:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is it that difficult to at least look at the price sticker? I'm assuming that most people who purchase vehicles can read past first-grade level.
People don't look and don't care. On the Pacifica forum there was a whole thread about this saying "we bought our Pacificas because we want to buy American" which is absurd, the Sienna and the Odyssey are WAY more US derived and built here where the Pacifica isn't.

People look at the brand and assume its built here, when in reality if anything foreign carmakers like Toyota and Honda support US labor way more than domestic carmakers today.
Old 09-21-21, 08:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

People don't look and don't care. On the Pacifica forum there was a whole thread about this saying "we bought our Pacificas because we want to buy American" which is absurd, the Sienna and the Odyssey are WAY more US derived and built here where the Pacifica isn't.
Don't want to pry into your personal life too much, but I hope you and your wife didn't have a long argument about that......marriage can be hard enough as it is without added stress.

if anything foreign carmakers like Toyota and Honda support US labor way more than domestic carmakers today.
Yes, true to an extent, although they are usually non-UAW plants. Toyota and Honda also have different management styles than GM and Ford.....who are usually only concerned with short-term profits. I may like the way that many GM products drive and feel.....but, outside of Bob Lutz, I have never thought much of their management. Lutz was a car-guy, not just an accountant.
Old 09-21-21, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't want to pry into your personal life too much, but I hope you and your wife didn't have a long argument about that......marriage can be hard enough as it is without added stress.
This was a thread on the Pacifica forum. My wife and I don't care where things are made.

Yes, true to an extent, although they are usually non-UAW plants. Toyota and Honda also have different management styles than GM and Ford.....who are usually only concerned with short-term profits. I may like the way that many GM products drive and feel.....but, outside of Bob Lutz, I have never thought much of their management. Lutz was a car-guy, not just an accountant.
American labor is American labor. Its not "true to an extent", its true. Look it up, like you said its on the sticker in plain english.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)