Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 06:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here are some camera-shots of the actual vehicle, not Google-shots.

Looks like you have HUD; I didn't know that was offered.

How do you like it?
Old 01-14-21, 07:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
On my genesis' white interior, my jeans will leave a blue mark over time but i found an ancient bottle of leather cleaner in my house which takes it off in a few seconds, no problem.
It comes off the leather okay, but the side of the bolster is vinyl, and its much harder to get it out of that. I wind up having to spray down the bolster with leather cleaner and use my leather brush on it every wash, which in the long run cant be good for the leather.

Do you actually tow with it? A fully-loaded Pacifica with even a smallish trailer might be taxed quite heavily going up or down Sandstone Mountain...even worse on Summit Mountain at Uniontown. And, although that was more of a problem in the 1990s than today, Chrysler minivans were not known for durable transmissions.
No lol, this one happened to have the trailer hitch, I wouldn't have speced it. All it might ever see is a hitch mounted bike rack or something.

Hmmm.....so you, like Steve, had that problem, too. Makes me wonder where you are getting those jeans...and which jeans-manufacturer is too cheap to take an extra step to insure that doesn't happen. They are already making money hand-over-fist from all that cheap labor in China and other countries in SE Asia where most clothing is made nowadays.
Its a very common problem, its not that the colors run or that they would turn the washer blue when washed, its that the friction of sliding in and out of the seat over that bolster causes some of the dye to transfer. My wife wears dark wash jeans a lot and theyre more the problem. When I wear jeans I have lighter wash jeans and mine never transfer.

Here's an example of it:

Old 01-14-21, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Looks like you have HUD; I didn't know that was offered.

How do you like it?

That is part of the Advanced-Tech-Package. It's one of the features I like, but, of course, adds complexity because it is projected onto a clear plastic screen that pops up and down into the dash instead of onto the glass itself. The graphics, though, are excellent....better than on some glass-projected systems I've seen.
Old 01-14-21, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Our 2016 Highlander had the light gray leather interior. I did like it, as it was bright and airy, but I was always cleaning off the blue jean dye from the seats. Luckily it would come off pretty easily, but when we swapped for the 19 Highlander, we opted for the black leather, largely because of this very issue.
Old 01-14-21, 08:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It comes off the leather okay, but the side of the bolster is vinyl, and its much harder to get it out of that. I wind up having to spray down the bolster with leather cleaner and use my leather brush on it every wash, which in the long run cant be good for the leather.
can't really follow this, you said the issue is on the vinyl yet your procedure can't be good for the leather...
Old 01-14-21, 09:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

can't really follow this, you said the issue is on the vinyl yet your procedure can't be good for the leather...
It has to be cleaned off the leather too each time, its just easier to clean off the leather.
Old 01-14-21, 11:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,559 Posts

It has to be cleaned off the leather too each time, its just easier to clean off the leather.
right so if it comes off the leather easy, it shouldn't be much wear? i don't need a brush, i just use a heavier cloth.
Old 01-14-21, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

OK, getting back to the GX...........
r.
They still do quiet tuning?
Old 01-14-21, 11:48 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are some camera-shots of the actual vehicle, not Google-shots.

Congrats MM! Great color combo, color really pops in the sunshine. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 01-14-21, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They still do quiet tuning?

If the Tri-Sheld is on it, it's Quiet-Tuned.

Of course, the three-pot engine is not going to run as smooth or quiet as the 3.6L V6, but you can tell that it had at least some attention paid to its NVH level. This is not a three-cylinder Geo Metro.
Old 01-14-21, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Congrats MM! Great color combo, color really pops in the sunshine. Enjoy it in good health!

Thanks, Triple L.

Come post with us a little more in Car-Chat....haven't seen many of your comments lately.

As to good health, I'm doing my best to take care of it, in my diet and life-style.

It got its Luxcare treatment today.

https://www.fairfieldautogroup.com/luxcare.htm
Old 01-14-21, 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

right so if it comes off the leather easy, it shouldn't be much wear? i don't need a brush, i just use a heavier cloth.
Believe it or not, the leather brush is actually gentler on the leather than a cloth. I just would prefer not to have to clean the seats every wash, but its kind of the way it is with light colored leather when the driver wears a ton of jeans. In the summer when she isnt wearing jeans it wont be an issue.
Old 01-14-21, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, for those of you (and there were several of you here in the thread) who questioned the idea of the dealership doing a credit-check when vehicles were not being being financed, I spoke to the dealership's GM today about it when I was there to get the Luxcare interior/exterior treatment done (took about an hour or so for them to do it). He said that, absolutely, you are correct. For a cash-sale by personal-cheek like I do, it is NOT a Federal requirement to so. It is not required by the Patriot Act (as some salespersons have told customers in the past). It is not required by any Consumer-Protection Agency, nor, in Virginia, even by State law. He said that it is a GM/corporate requirement that they do so with customers, particularly for special-ordered vehicles, even if they are being paid for in cash. It comes down from upper-managent at GM, not the government. So, that may or may not be the case with other automakers.

He also clarified something else that I wasn't totally aware of earlier. I was under the impression that any $10K purchase or more that was not financed was reported to the FBI or IRS.....including a personal check. That is partially, but not totally true. Only $10K or more in hard-cash (change, bills, etc....) actually needs to be reported. So, if I was to hand over all that money in hard cash, yes...but not simply write a personal check.

https://klasing-associates.com/indiv...10000-greater/

Interestingly enough, the incident, back in the 1980s, that started that whole mess for the Federal reporting-law, occurred just up the street from my GM dealership about a quarter-mile or so, at a Mazda/Nissan dealership. I first heard about it from my brother (there was no Internet or social-media back then).....and just by the luck of the draw, he happened to be at the dealership when it happened. He wasn't with me that day, but, on his own, had stopped there to check out a new vehicle (I don't remember exactly which one), and, while he was there, FBI agents busted in and raided the place. They were not after my brother, of course, and did not detain him, but, as it turned out, an undercover FBI agent had been there earlier that day, posing as a car-buyer (to me, that sounds like victim-entrapment, but that's the way it happened). The "customer" offered to buy a new vehicle with hard cash from a so-called drug sale, and the dealership said they didn't care where the money came from...greenbacks talk. That, apparently, was enough to justify a raid, and, while the dealership was not actually shut down, and remained in business (and is still there today), at least one salesman and sales manager went to prison. After that incident, Congress passed, and President Reagan signed, a bill that made the cash-10K reporting-standards mandatory. Of course, today, three decades later, that 10K is not worth as much as it was back then because of inflation, but the law still stands as it is.
Old 01-14-21, 06:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You caught them in their lie and he’s backpedaling now. I guarantee GM would sell you a car cash without pulling your credit.
Old 01-14-21, 06:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You caught them in their lie and he’s backpedaling now. I guarantee GM would sell you a car cash without pulling your credit.

Probably not a lie. I've heard that from some other sources, too. You also have to remember the people who are running GM. I'm not saying they're crooks, but, IMO, they have shown signs, for years, of being less than fully-competent. It is also a corporation that, particularly before Mary Barra came in, had a long history of being somewhat arrogant, like some of the Germans. Still, even with Mary Barra, look at the mess that GM got into a couple of years ago by shutting down the sedan-plants and triggering the largest UAW strike in 50 years....they lost billions from that. Even in Korea, a partial-strike strike by the Korean Auto Workers' Union (working 4-hour shifts instead of 8) partially shut down the plant that builds the Encore GX and Trailblazer...one reason why it took as long as it did for my car to arrive. The ONLY reason (besides good service at that dealership) I repeat-buy is because I like their products, although I'm not a terribly big fan of Cadillacs.

And, even if he WAS lying (which I am not convinced of)...I really don't care that much, either way. Life is too short.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-21 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)