Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I guarantee had you refused, you’d be driving your new car right now same as you are lol.
Old 01-14-21, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I guarantee had you refused, you’d be driving your new car right now same as you are lol.
Either way, I have no problems with that dealership, getting excellent service from them, and have been very pleased with them for a number of years. Why rock the boat as long as the water is still calm? I'm a firm believer in not butting-heads if they don't actually need to be butted.....same way I act on CL. You can get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Also hope maybe to get my brother's GF a new Chevy there (maybe a TB if they are available), if she decides on a GM product......more in her price-range than a typical Buick or GMC.
Old 01-14-21, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How did the treatments you had done today turn out?
Old 01-14-21, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, moving on, I'm over one more (small) electronic hurtle today......managed to get my favorite FM and XM/satellite radio-stations plugged-in and saved for easy-reach on the screen....although I usually don't listen to a lot of different stations, just local news, FOX/National news, and Christian music. The Infotainment-system is different from the one in my Lacrosse. I like the fact, though, that, with this system, I can keep the radio stations displayed on the screen, and perform all of the climate-functions with traditional buttons below the screen. In the Lacrosse, you had to switch back and forth on the screen to do some climate-functions, like choose which air-vents you wanted or turn the AC compressor on and off. I never liked that.
Old 01-14-21, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How did the treatments you had done today turn out?
Luxcare....I think the same system the local Kia dealers use on their new cars. Turned out fine, in only about an hour or so.......paint-finish is slick as a baby's butt. (Supposedly) guards the upholstery from Uh-Ohs....although I am usually very careful, and, of course, don't have kids. (Supposedly) gives the paint extra protection....we'll see with time, and if I have to use the SCRATCH-OUT less often. Not terribly satisfied with the price ($700+)....but some of the may come back on a future trade-in if it keeps the inside and outside in better condition.

They also ordered the rubber floor-mats today. Buick, like they did with the Lacrosse, used to toss them in at the factory when you specifically-ordered them. Now, even if you order them from the factory on the vehicle itself (and pay for them on the sales-order), they don't install them there at the plant any more. The dealerships order them from Parts Department....free, of course.

Don't want to drag on forever, but I just want to say one more thing about the General Manager there, and why I don't want to butt-heads with them over any credit-check issues. When I found that bad FWD/AWD actuator the other day on the initial test-drive, he personally went over to the Service Department, gave the work-order to the Service Advisor that had the best reputation there, and made its immediate replacement (under warranty) a priority, since I was a longtime repeat customer. They ordered the part, it came in the next morning, and I was out by the early afternoon.

Unfortunately, one of my favorite Service Advisors (the one who had previously, on the Verano and Lacrosse, given me the best service) just recently retired. He wasn't that old, but his poor wife (I still pray for her) had MS, and you know what a debilitating disease that can be...he had to stay home more and care for her.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-21 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 08:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

If the Tri-Sheld is on it, it's Quiet-Tuned.

Of course, the three-pot engine is not going to run as smooth or quiet as the 3.6L V6, but you can tell that it had at least some attention paid to its NVH level. This is not a three-cylinder Geo Metro.
That’s good to hear they still do the quiet tuning
Old 01-14-21, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That’s good to hear they still do the quiet tuning

Actually, it's good to NOT hear the Quiet Tuning.

Overall, it's noticeably quieter than most small crossovers in that range, and you can tell that the Buick engineers did some of their Magic Touch in the insulation-department. But, Quiet-Tuning or not, you can also tell you don't have that silky 3.6L V6 under the hood...particularly in the morning when the turbo-three is cold and warming-up. Of course, I expected a little more engine noise, and understood it when I ordered the car, so I'm not complaining. Otherwise, it meets my current driving-needs almost perfectly. I really noticed the difference, and the MUCH easier maneuverability/parking (and the 360-camera views, which the Lacrosse didn't have) shopping today for groceries, in a tight parking-garage with steep, narrow, winding ramps in and out.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-21 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 08:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Luxcare....I think the same system the local Kia dealers use on their new cars. Turned out fine, in only about an hour or so.......paint-finish is slick as a baby's butt. (Supposedly) guards the upholstery from Uh-Ohs....although I am usually very careful, and, of course, don't have kids. (Supposedly) gives the paint extra protection....we'll see with time, and if I have to use the SCRATCH-OUT less often. Not terribly satisfied with the price ($700+)....but some of the may come back on a future trade-in if it keeps the inside and outside in better condition.
I wouldnt put any stock in any of the protections it gives. Its basically just scotch guard and a cheap paint sealant. FYI, the Scratch Out will remove it. Any value there will come from the free carwashes.

Don't want to drag on forever, but I just want to say one more thing about the General Manager there, and why I don't want to butt-heads with them over any credit-check issues. When I found that bad FWD/AWD actuator the other day on the initial test-drive, he personally went over to the Service Department, gave the work-order to the Service Advisor that had the best reputation there, and made its immediate replacement (under warranty) a priority, since I was a longtime repeat customer. They ordered the part, it came in the next morning, and I was out by the early afternoon.
To be fair, whenever a new vehicle, especially a special ordered vehicle arrives with a defect like that the dealership should behave in that exact same way, repeat customer or not.

Unfortunately, one of my favorite Service Advisors (the one who had previously, on the Verano and Lacrosse, given me the best service) just recently retired. He wasn't that old, but his poor wife (I still pray for her) had MS, and you know what a debilitating disease that can be...he had to stay home more and care for her.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-14-21, 09:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldnt put any stock in any of the protections it gives. Its basically just scotch guard and a cheap paint sealant.
Agreed. I'm generally not a believer in automotive snake-oil, although I do have a very high opinion of SCRATCH-OUT, after many years of great experience with it.

FYI, the Scratch Out will remove it.
Yes, definitely. It will remove a lot of things (especially wax), but when it does, it leaves a clean, shiny, very smooth, extremely highly-polished surface that, although not wax, will make water bead-up just like wax. I can't remember the last time I've waxed a car......haven't needed to, with Scratch-Out. I probably would't have agreed to this Lux-Care package to start with except for the free washes......I like that, as I'm getting to the point where frequent hand-washings on my part, for me, aren't as easily done as they once were....ad I get my excercise now in the swimming-pool. The actual washings you get at the dealer probably aren't quite as good or thorough as the commercial car-washes (nor do they dry it off as well), but I can make up the small difference myself with a little bit of effort on my part....I'm not completely lazy LOL.

Old 01-15-21, 08:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed. I'm generally not a believer in automotive snake-oil, although I do have a very high opinion of SCRATCH-OUT, after many years of great experience with it.
Scratch Out isnt a snake oil and doesn't cost $700 lol. Its an effective hand scratch remover. These protection packages from dealerships are snake oil, but at least you get the free washes out of it. Hopefully they are decent washes and not just the run it through their tunnel and give it back to you without even drying it washes.
Old 01-15-21, 08:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Scratch Out isnt a snake oil and doesn't cost $700 lol. Its an effective hand scratch remover. These protection packages from dealerships are snake oil, but at least you get the free washes out of it. Hopefully they are decent washes and not just the run it through their tunnel and give it back to you without even drying it washes.
Umm...how are the washes "free" if MM paid $700.....
Old 01-15-21, 09:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Umm...how are the washes "free" if MM paid $700.....
They're not, but if you're paying for carwashes you get to $700 pretty quickly. $700 for lifetime carwashes isnt a bad deal if they are decent carwashes.
Old 01-15-21, 09:10 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

I really like orientation videos, not sure why more carmakers dont do them. Much better than the manual.
you may be on to something. When you first open the manual have a big QR code the user can scan with their smart phone and bam up comes a video on the content of that chapter of the manual.
Old 01-15-21, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by winterturb
you may be on to something. When you first open the manual have a big QR code the user can scan with their smart phone and bam up comes a video on the content of that chapter of the manual.
I think thats a great idea. I remember our old Explorer and my Dad's Cadillac STS both came with VHS orientation videos that really gave you a good overview of everything you needed to know.

I actually found that Explorer video on YouTube a while back. Its super 90s lol:

Old 01-15-21, 10:37 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, Triple L.

Come post with us a little more in Car-Chat....haven't seen many of your comments lately.

As to good health, I'm doing my best to take care of it, in my diet and life-style.

It got its Luxcare treatment today.

https://www.fairfieldautogroup.com/luxcare.htm
You're welcome and you're correct I do read much more than I post, I'll try to work on that!!

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)