Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-21, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Umm...how are the washes "free" if MM paid $700.....

That $700 bought a number of other things, not just washes. But, Yes, IMO, the washes were the most important.

And that's only because, even though I'm still in good health overall, I'm getting a little old to be doing the Scrub-a-Dub routine regularly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-21 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-15-21, 12:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Hell, I’m too old to be doing it regularly lol
Old 01-16-21, 07:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hell, I’m too old to be doing it regularly lol

It's not necessarily a matter of age, but of the physical condition of your muscles, bones, joints, etc.....

Some people can do manual labor into their 80s and 90s, others have to stop at half that age or earlier.

I probably should have rephrased my post a little differently......

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm getting a little old to be doing the Scrub-a-Dub routine regularly.
Old 01-16-21, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So far, quite happy with it in spite of the three-pot engine...I get lots of positive comments on the interior-exterior color-combo from neighbors/colleagues, and even from the guys in the service bay that worked on it installing that new AWD actuator before I took delivery.

Haven't had a chance to try out the halogen headlights yet (top-level Essence-Trim models get standard LED headlights, Select levels don't), but I will Monday night, as I have an evening swimming-reservation at one of the County indoor pools. (couldn't get a daytime slot that day, as it is all done now by pre-registrations on-line). Everything else on it, though, is LED. Strong headlights in this area, though, usually aren't a big issue, since most places are significantly lighted even after dark.

Like I said, I'm generally happy with it the way it is, but, if I could suggest anything to Buick management, I'd make these recommendations:

First, one more cylinder in the engine for more smoothness, although the actual power-level is fine for my driving habits, and IMO it doesn't need any more spunk. I can easily live with the engine the way it is, though.......although not as smooth as the Lacrosse/Enclave's 3.6L V6, you can tell that Buick did some Quiet-Tuning with this vehicle, just like it does on all of its products.

Second, cancel the plans to drop the five non-neutral colors next month......Bronze, Red, the two blue shades, and blackberry red/purple. I don't know whose idea that was, but not everyone wants the ultra-boring neutral shades, although the Satin Steel gray is not bad-looking when clean.

Third, make the automatic tilt-down reverse mirrors and the rear window wide-angle camera available as stand-alone options on the Select Trim level, without having to move up to the top-line Essence and Essence-Package-Options to get it. They did that with the $520 Hands-Free Rear-Lifegate option......an excellent idea, and I checked it off on the order-list.

Having said that, though, the superb 360-camera view, its excellent graphics, and the Blind-Side-View-Alert in the mirrors helps compensate for the lack of the wide-angle camera and reverse tilt-down mirrors on my car (you can tilt the mirrors down manually, of course, but that involves a bit of button-pushing/switching to separately bring them down and again every time you back up)

Fourth, like the sister Chevy Trailblazer, offer the two-tone roof-color option in more than just a couple of Sport-Package colors. One of the reasons (among several) that the Trailblazer is selling in the large numbers it is today is the multi-choice two-tone packages, which are very popular.

Fifth, bring back the 6/70 and 4/50 warranties that Buick had until last year......it was a good selling point for the brand, and offered customers a Cadillac/Lexus/Lincoln/Acura/Infiniti-level of protection at a lower price. Buick probably dropped it to cut costs, but IMO it was somewhat of an insult to their customers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-21 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 05:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So far, quite happy with it in spite of the three-pot engine...I get lots of positive comments on the interior-exterior color-combo from neighbors/colleagues, and even from the guys in the service bay that worked on it installing that new AWD actuator before I took delivery.

Haven't had a chance to try out the halogen headlights yet (top-level Essence-Trim models get standard LED headlights, Select levels don't), but I will Monday night, as I have an evening swimming-reservation at one of the County indoor pools. (couldn't get a daytime slot that day, as it is all done now by pre-registrations on-line). Everything else on it, though, is LED. Strong headlights in this area, though, usually aren't a big issue, since most places are significantly lighted even after dark.

Like I said, I'm generally happy with it the way it is, but, if I could suggest anything to Buick management, I'd make these recommendations:

First, one more cylinder in the engine for more smoothness, although the actual power-level is fine for my driving habits, and IMO it doesn't need any more spunk. I can easily live with the engine the way it is, though.......although not as smooth as the Lacrosse/Enclave's 3.6L V6, you can tell that Buick did some Quiet-Tuning with this vehicle, just like it does on all of its products.

Second, cancel the plans to drop the five non-neutral colors next month......Bronze, Red, the two blue shades, and blackberry red/purple. I don't know whose idea that was, but not everyone wants the ultra-boring neutral shades, although the Satin Steel gray is not bad-looking when clean.

Third, make the automatic tilt-down reverse mirrors and the rear window wide-angle camera available as stand-alone options on the Select Trim level, without having to move up to the top-line Essence and Essence-Package-Options to get it. They did that with the $520 Hands-Free Rear-Lifegate option......an excellent idea, and I checked it off on the order-list.

Having said that, though, the superb 360-camera view, its excellent graphics, and the Blind-Side-View-Alert in the mirrors helps compensate for the lack of the wide-angle camera and reverse tilt-down mirrors on my car (you can tilt the mirrors down manually, of course, but that involves a bit of button-pushing/switching to separately bring them down and again every time you back up)

Fourth, like the sister Chevy Trailblazer, offer the two-tone roof-color option in more than just a couple of Sport-Package colors. One of the reasons (among several) that the Trailblazer is selling in the large numbers it is today is the multi-choice two-tone packages, which are very popular.

Fifth, bring back the 6/70 and 4/50 warranties that Buick had until last year......it was a good selling point for the brand, and offered customers a Cadillac/Lexus/Lincoln/Acura/Infiniti-level of protection at a lower price. Buick probably dropped it to cut costs, but IMO it was somewhat of an insult to their customers.
Good thoughts, but none of these things are going to happen (except *maybe* they will offer an engine upgrade in a higher trim level).
Old 01-18-21, 07:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Good thoughts, but none of these things are going to happen (except *maybe* they will offer an engine upgrade in a higher trim level).

The engine I have IS the upgrade-level LOL.

Like I said, though, there are so many other nice features on this vehicle (particularly at its price), and it meets my driving needs so well, that I'm willing to overlook a less-than-perfect engine layout.

I hope I don't wind up with a transmission issue.......GM, just yesterday, announced a TSB on a clutch part in the 9-speed auto, which I have. Also odd why it doesn't include the Chevy Trailblazer, which uses the same engine and transmission in the AWD versions.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/01...etaining-ring/

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-18-21 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-18-21, 08:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The engine I have IS the upgrade-level LOL.

Like I said, though, there are so many other nice features on this vehicle (particularly at its price), and it meets my driving needs so well, that I'm willing to overlook a less-than-perfect engine layout.

I/
You don’t say
Old 01-18-21, 05:09 PM
Veyron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I don't wind up with a transmission issue.......GM, just yesterday, announced a TSB on a clutch part in the 9-speed auto, which I have. Also odd why it doesn't include the Chevy Trailblazer, which uses the same engine and transmission in the AWD versions.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/01...etaining-ring/
It doesn't apply to the 2020 Encore GX models either, only applies to the 2021 models. This TSB with ring not being fully seated should be applicable to the 2021 Trailblazer as well unless they are on different assembly lines which is possible since the TB and Encore GX aren't exactly the same underneath, the TB is longer.
Old 01-19-21, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I absolutely love the kick/hands-free liftgate feature....I use it regularly when shopping. That option is well-worth what it cost ($520). The logo-projection part on the pavement, though (where you kick your foot back and forth over it), although useful at night, is just a gimmick in the daytime.....you often can't see the logo at all to aim your foot. I've learned, in the daytime, particularly in sunlight (which washes the image out) to just kick my foot over the spot under the bumper where the logo would project if you could see it. Works fine.

One interesting question, though (and only time will tell) is, with all the use I give them, how long the gas-struts for the lift gate will last before needing to be replaced. Typically, their seals wear with time, and they become less-effective.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-19-21, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I absolutely love the kick/hands-free liftgate feature....I use it regularly when shopping. That option is well-worth what it cost ($520).
Technology can be really great huh. Just wait till you tryout the LED headlights.
Old 01-19-21, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, great feature.
Old 01-19-21, 12:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Technology can be really great huh.
I wouldn't really consider that very advanced technology....just a couple of sensors and an automatic lock/unlock. What it is, advanced technology or not, is a very nice convenience.

There's also an adjustable-feature inside, on the driver's lower-door panel, which limits the liftgate-height to 3/4 if you have to open it, say, inside a garage with a fairly low ceiling. I tried it, and it just is too low for me.......banged my head it LOL.

Just wait till you tryout the LED headlights.
My Select Trim-Level doesn't have the LED headlights.....but other features in the lighting are LED. One must move up to the Essence version to get the LED headlights....you also get leather seats (I actually prefer the cloth with heated sears, particularly on cold mornings) and a few other features.

I typically don't drive much at night, though.....maybe once a week. And streets in my area are generally well-lit;

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-21 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-19-21, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, great feature.
Does your Pacifica have the LED headlights? You might have mentioned it, but I don't recall. You did mention that it has a lift-late feature.
Old 01-19-21, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Does your Pacifica have the LED headlights? You might have mentioned it, but I don't recall. You did mention that it has a lift-late feature.
it has HID headlights, the 2021 Pacifica refresh goes to LED.

I will never buy another car with halogen headlights.

My Mercedes has LED, and both cars have the kick trunk/hatch feature.
Old 01-19-21, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I will never buy another car with halogen headlights.
Never say never. Say almost never.

I once thought I'd never be in a Subaru.

I once thought (very long ago) I'd never be in anything less than a full-size sedan.

And, yes, I once thought I'd never be in a small crossover....particularly with a turbo-three engine.

Life sometimes has a way of playing surprises on us.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)