Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 03:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
it has HID headlights, the 2021 Pacifica refresh goes to LED.

I will never buy another car with halogen headlights.

My Mercedes has LED, and both cars have the kick trunk/hatch feature.
Me neither. You can get LED with halogen reflectors. My new 4R is amazing at night. Both the fog and headlight are LED. Not the hi beam.

going forward you likely won’t be able to get anything other than LED. Lots of manufacturers are all LED now. I think Toyota and Lexus Is now all LED.
Old 01-19-21, 03:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I
One interesting question, though (and only time will tell) is, with all the use I give them, how long the gas-struts for the lift gate will last before needing to be replaced. Typically, their seals wear with time, and they become less-effective.
maybe the rear needs a hood prop like the front

in all honesty, just enjoy it. I am really thrilled you got your Buick. It’s what you wanted.

My 09 Matrix the rear struts failed....we replace them for $200. All my SUVs the rear struts are still good. In contrast, My 04 4Runner the hood struts don’t work properly when the temp is near freezing. It’s why I am not against a cheap hood prop. (Which I have cars with both)
Old 01-19-21, 04:02 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I absolutely love the kick/hands-free liftgate feature....I use it regularly when shopping. That option is well-worth what it cost ($520). The logo-projection part on the pavement, though (where you kick your foot back and forth over it), although useful at night, is just a gimmick in the daytime.....you often can't see the logo at all to aim your foot. I've learned, in the daytime, particularly in sunlight (which washes the image out) to just kick my foot over the spot under the bumper where the logo would project if you could see it. Works fine.

One interesting question, though (and only time will tell) is, with all the use I give them, how long the gas-struts for the lift gate will last before needing to be replaced. Typically, their seals wear with time, and they become less-effective.
Be careful during the winter tho, you don't want to be standing on snow/ice with one foot kicking with the other to open the tailgate. Safer to use the fob or just hit the button on the tailgate.
Old 01-19-21, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
maybe the rear needs a hood prop like the front
Yes, I knew you (or someone else) would bring that up, but hood props aren't automatic LOL.

in all honesty, just enjoy it. I am really thrilled you got your Buick. It’s what you wanted.
Thanks. Liking it so far. I'm sure you are going to enjoy that new 4Runner.

My 09 Matrix the rear struts failed....we replace them for $200. All my SUVs the rear struts are still good. In contrast, My 04 4Runner the hood struts don’t work properly when the temp is near freezing. It’s why I am not against a cheap hood prop. (Which I have cars with both)
Yes, I remember you mentioning some of that before. Your vehicles, though, are subject to more extreme temperatures than with many of the rest of us. The climate of upstate NY and SE Canada is not exactly conducive to parts-longevity, even in Toyotas.

I agree with you that a manual-prop does have some (ultimate) advantages. But it can be a PITA with a large, heavy hood.

One interesting example was my 2006 Outback...which came with a lightweight aluminum hood......so lightweight that you had to be careful opening it with the wind blowing towards the rear. For 2007, Subaru did a mid-generation update, and, to save money, without restyling either the shape of the hood or the front end, changed it to a MUCH heavier steel-gauge hood, while keeping the manual-prop. The difference was dramatic.
Old 01-19-21, 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Never say never. Say almost never. .
No I can say never on this with total confidence. I will never buy another vehicle with halogen headlights. In any event, no vehicle I would be interested in would have halogen headlights anyways, but I would absolutely not buy a vehicle that otherwise fit my needs just because it had halogen headlights. For instance I never considered the previous gen Highlander simply because it only had Halogen headlights.
Old 01-19-21, 04:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jer
Be careful during the winter tho, you don't want to be standing on snow/ice with one foot kicking with the other to open the tailgate. Safer to use the fob or just hit the button on the tailgate.
Yes, Thanks, that thought did cross my mind.....and one of my knees is already weak (but still usable) from arthritis.
Old 01-19-21, 05:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 9 year old Mazda CX-9 with 96K miles and the hatch struts are no problem. Same with the 8 year old Pilot I traded in for that.
Old 01-19-21, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. Liking it so far. I'm sure you are going to enjoy that new 4Runner.

yes....I love it. Just past 1000km or 600 miles this week. But never mind my Toyota. THIS thread is about YOUR Buick.

Old 01-19-21, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
yes....I love it. Just past 1000km or 600 miles this week. But never mind my Toyota. THIS thread is about YOUR Buick.

You'll probably find this amusing, Jill. Buick, after many decades, on their latest models, has finally dropped their long-standing trademark (fake portholes)....which, even more decades ago, replaced the real portholes for engine-cooling. I had toyed with the idea of picking up some fake ones and sticking them on the front fenders of the Encore GX myself. Then, I thought, No, I'd only make myself look silly.....the way that Maserati does on the Quattroporte, using Buick-style fake-portholes on a vehicle that is not a Buick.

Why not on the Encore GX? Well, yes, technically, it is a Buick, and has the red/white/blue Tri-Shield on the grille, steering-wheel, and lift gate. It also has a nice Buick grade interior (at least in the front seat) and the Quiet-Tuning touches. But it is not a classic Buick (deserving of portholes) in the very least, and is as far away from the Buick upmarket/luxury-sedans I grew up with as a mouse is from an elephant. Besides, Buick doesn't even put their own BUICK name on their latest vehicles any more.....they depend the Tri-Shield symbol. Sadly, there are some signs that they may not last the decade of the 2020s in the American market....but I'd be as sad to see them go as I was with Saturn.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-19-21 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-20-21, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For instance I never considered the previous gen Highlander simply because it only had Halogen headlights.
As for the Highlander, you can get the same platform (with bolder exterior styling and less interior room) with the Lexus RX, which, at least as of 2020 (not sure about earlier models) does come with LED headlights. However, the RX's three-row version (you said, because of the kids, you wanted three rows) was not done very well...the Highlander offers a lot more usable room inside, for several reasons.

Old 01-20-21, 09:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As for the Highlander, you can get the same platform (with bolder exterior styling and less interior room) with the Lexus RX, which, at least as of 2020 (not sure about earlier models) does come with LED headlights. However, the RX's three-row version (you said, because of the kids, you wanted three rows) was not done very well...the Highlander offers a lot more usable room inside, for several reasons.
That's a different price range.
Old 01-20-21, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well the new Highlander does have LED/HID headlights.
Old 01-20-21, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well the new Highlander does have LED/HID headlights.

Perhaps not surprising. If they are built on the same assembly line as the RX, it would probably be easier to produce if they all got the same lighting system.

That's one thing that I'm not sure I totally understand with the Encore GX and Trailblazer, built in the same plant....why they would stock two different headlight systems for use on essentially the same vehicle. True, LEDs cost more, but so does the complexities of purchasing and storing different hardware, for different lights, from different sub-contractors.
Old 01-20-21, 11:51 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Perhaps not surprising. If they are built on the same assembly line as the RX, it would probably be easier to produce if they all got the same lighting system.
They are not built on the same assembly line. RX in Ontario and Japan, Highlander in Indiana.
Old 01-20-21, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Right, not built on the same line, its just that HID/LED headlights are a feature buyers demand today.

Quick Reply: MM Ownership - 2021 Encore GX (initial and ongoing updates)