Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Won't Make You Happy

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 02:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
easy-to-eat chunks of ribeye.
(Even for little bit) A ribeye can put smile on my face every once in a while 😊.
Old 01-16-21, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Now I want a ribeye. Thanks Bob!
Old 01-16-21, 02:48 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Glad I could help.
Old 01-16-21, 02:58 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks, started reading this and thinking about how cars do make my life more enjoyable in certain respects but now I’m starving.
Old 01-16-21, 03:26 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Ribeyes make me happy.
Me too. Medium rare please.
Old 01-16-21, 03:44 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-16-21, 03:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Ribeyes (or any other type of meat) will satisfy only the body's immediate hunger (or appetite)....and, of course, there are healthier ways to do that as well (poultry, fish/seafood, fruits/vegetables, etc...). Vehicles, of course, satisfy another type of superficial happiness....such as big American luxury cars once did in my youth. But for true happiness, one must look outside the material world......you won't find it in money, expensive clothes, a large mansion of a house, servants, boats, jewelry, etc........
Old 01-16-21, 07:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I think cars or whatever your interest/hobby is can bring you great happiness.

If you are just doing it for material reasons or to show-off etc that’s different than having a true passion for something.

Driving my M3 with some great music is my meditation lol and brings me great happiness. Not to mention going to automotive events, shows etc.
Old 01-16-21, 10:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,458 Likes on 1,612 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
yeah, you've captured the essence of the video without even having watched it.
edit: but do watch it anyway because i think it's worth watching.
I did watch it and it was very good. Thanks.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you are just doing it for material reasons or to show-off etc that’s different than having a true passion for something.
Driving my M3 with some great music is my meditation lol and brings me great happiness. Not to mention going to automotive events, shows etc.

as for all the posts about ribeyes, i have never found fatty steaks appealing, sorry. The only steak i like is a filet.
Old 01-17-21, 05:41 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

re: the posts about ribeyes -- this thread has devolved in a way i didn't expect it to.
Old 01-17-21, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

To drill it down, things you do for yourself make you happy. Things you do for other people’s perceptions of you don’t.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

as for all the posts about ribeyes, i have never found fatty steaks appealing, sorry. The only steak i like is a filet.
Thats your British-ness showing through
Old 01-17-21, 07:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i can assure you I am much happier after owning a viper
Old 01-17-21, 08:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

I'll definitely echo the sentiment that Ribeyes make me happy.

The message really boils down to "doing anything to impress other people won't make you happy". Cars DO make me happy, but I do absolutely nothing about them with the goal of impressing other people, except perhaps my son. I do love the smile that creeps across his face when the rear end plants and he gets sucked back into the seat. Hell I don't even wash them that often, because that aspect is just not that important to me personally. But I love driving them, love working on them (most of the time), and love thinking about what sort of fun I could have with various different cars.

It's kinda funny, with the jackpots being so big this week, there have been news stories about what people might do if they win, one of them said "you could buy this supercar for $3.6M", and I mentioned at the dinner table that even if our net worth suddenly shot up by $400M, I wouldn't buy a Chiron. Just not relevant in my life. But my son wasn't about to let me off that easy. He asked me what I would buy, since he knows as well as I do that "nothing" is not an acceptable answer for a car guy. I thought for a moment, and told him that I would daily the **** out of a 911. Either that or a Boxter Spyder/GTS 4.0 plus $8k or so for a re-gear to make 2nd gear usable on the street. So I configured one, which is another thing I enjoy, and settled on a Carrera 4S Cabrio, since the 4S is the highest model where the 7MT is available (Turbo and Turbo S are PDK only). My build came out to $175k, which seemed reasonable in that scenario, and I know I'd enjoy the heck out of driving it. But it would be for me, and not for anyone else.

This circles back to the old adage that the problem with Americans is that they "spend money they don't have, on things they don't need, to impress people they don't like."
Old 01-17-21, 08:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Stopping at the butcher today to get Ribeyes for dinner tonight lol

What kind of car would I buy if I won $700M...I might buy a Rolls Royce Ghost, or a Bentley Flying Spur or something like that. I wouldnt do that to impress other people though, and I would daily what I daily now (which ain't bad) lol.
Old 01-17-21, 09:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Second, they cannot give you true or lasting happiness. For that, one must must pursue things that are outside of this natural world (yet present for us to access), and that the moderators don't want us talking about here.
Says who exactly?

Things don't bring you lasting happiness. I wouldn't say "cars dont make you happy" though. My cars bring me a lot of enjoyment and happiness.
I think this post is really good. I think cars can bring enjoyment and happiness as well.....its all relative to the individual. We look at cars like a hobby and something fun to do....We have quite a collection of vehicles going now spanning 25 model years...If we didn't have the money to enjoy these things and if they didn't bring me happiness to have them. I would just ditch them...some people care about cars....some people do not.

As for impressing others...cars are an important method for projecting status and well being...real estate agents know this.....high performing professionals.....successful individuals are aware of this as well......when I owned my company...we would often have team executives visit our office in DT Toronto...we learned that picking up these individuals with non-stretched limos like an airport style was essential.....strangely we found that a la carte menu ordered catered food at the office went farther than going out for lunch...and the small non-alcoholic bar in the meeting room with water, soda, snacks a few other things was essential....sugar cubes, Evian, ice cubes and other little touch were essential... All an illusion to take about the stresses to get down to business....getting it right is really important.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-17-21 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Cars Won't Make You Happy