Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars Won't Make You Happy

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-21, 09:17 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

If u have suck *** cars yeah definitely wont get u happy, now if u have a really fun cars. Put a smile on your face everytime u drive it then hell yeah lolz .
Old 01-17-21, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Says who exactly?
Says my own experience, and that of many others. Cars and aircraft have been a big part of my life, but materialism cannot make one truly happy. That has to be found in our Creator.

Old 01-17-21, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

I think this post is really good. I think cars can bring enjoyment and happiness as well.....its all relative to the individual. We look at cars like a hobby and something fun to do....We have quite a collection of vehicles going now spanning 25 model years...If we didn't have the money to enjoy these things and if they didn't bring me happiness to have them. I would just ditch them...some people care about cars....some people do not.
Yep, I know plenty of people that don't care at all about cars, they have other things that they enjoy.

As for impressing others...cars are an important method for projecting status and well being...real estate agents know this.....high performing professionals.....successful individuals are aware of this as well......when I owned my company...we would often have team executives visit our office in DT Toronto...we learned that picking up these individuals with non-stretched limos like an airport style was essential.....strangely we found that a la carte menu ordered catered food at the office went farther than going out for lunch...and the small non-alcoholic bar in the meeting room with water, soda, snacks a few other things was essential....sugar cubes, Evian, ice cubes and other little touch were essential... All an illusion to take about the stresses to get down to business....getting it right is really important.
This is absolutely true. In my business having a good car is essential for projecting yourself as a competent, successful professional. It was the same way back in my Dad's day in his business. Even people that don't care about cars in my business still spend a certain amount of money on cars because you have to make the right impression. I'm lucky that I really enjoy the type of car that makes the most sense for what I do lol. My Dad was the same way. You wonder why people spend so much money for nice luxury cars and then not care for them though or let them get dirty and beat up, thats why. They feel like they have to have them, but don't really care about them.

It can go the other way though, for instance I resisted getting my S Class for as long as I did because I was concerned it projected me being a little too well paid, and that concern was justified to a certain degree, although I'm getting used to it. A Lexus LS is a pretty perfect real estate car., its big and impressive but not showy or ostentatious.

I always say money doesn't buy happiness, but it makes misery a lot more palatable lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-17-21 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-17-21, 09:49 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Now I want a ribeye. Thanks Bob!
ribeye, prime rib, rack of lamb, they all make me happy
Old 01-17-21, 09:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,459 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Thats your British-ness showing through
ha, this chicago website comparing the two begs to differ... says both great, but completely different.

Ribeye vs Filet Mignon - Cuts & Cooking Comparison : Steak U (mychicagosteak.com)
Old 01-17-21, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It can go the other way though, for instance I resisted getting my S Class for as long as I did because I was concerned it projected me being a little too well paid, and that concern was justified to a certain degree, although I'm getting used to it. A Lexus LS is a pretty perfect real estate car., its big and impressive but not showy or ostentatious.

I always say money doesn't buy happiness, but it makes misery a lot more palatable lol

When I bought my townhouse in 1978, my agent (who was working for Long & Foster...a company you are probably familiar with) was actually an old neighbor who lived next door to my parents' house...I had known him since I was a kid. I can't speak for everyone, but the last thing on earth I was concerned with, even when he was driving me around to look at possible purchases, was what kind of car he drove. Completely irrelevant to the job.
Old 01-17-21, 09:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha, this chicago website comparing the two begs to differ... says both great, but completely different.

Ribeye vs Filet Mignon - Cuts & Cooking Comparison : Steak U (mychicagosteak.com)
Oh they are totally different. I like both. Have you ever cooked a whole tenderloin as a roast? Great for parties.
Old 01-17-21, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When I bought my townhouse in 1978, my agent (who was working for Long & Foster...a company you are probably familiar with) was actually an old neighbor who lived next door to my parents' house...I had known him since I was a kid. I can't speak for everyone, but the last thing on earth I was concerned with, even when he was driving me around to look at possible purchases, was what kind of car he drove. Completely irrelevant to the job.
Haha...it doesn't work like this...some don't care what kind of car they drive, but it is an illusion...you want the client to be transported from property to property without any stress or concerns so they can completely take their minds off everything and spend their money on a house. The point of the nicer car is not for the client to say "ohhhhhh the real estate agent is successful therefor I should be happy"....the point is for the car to block out all stresses in life so the focus is on the property.
Old 01-17-21, 10:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I was at Long & Foster for 15 years. People don't specifically care about what kind of car someone drives, but the kind of car they drive telegraphs an image of how successful, and therefore competent they are. Nobody says "I dont want to work with that guy because of his car" but they do say "I don't want to work with that guy and I don't really know why" and the car he drives is part of what helped them develop an unfavorable opinion of someone.

Great example of this. One of my oldest friends works for me now. He's always driven Accords and kept them a long time, so they get long in the tooth and beat up. I finally got him to buy a good car, he got an ES350. Had his best year ever last year, and his average sale price is way up, and his closing rate was way up. Car had a role in that, it just made him look more professional and legitimate.

I've been in sales my entire adult life, and I'm a second generation very successful salesperson. Its true lol.
Old 01-17-21, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha...it doesn't work like this...some don't care what kind of car they drive, but it is an illusion...you want the client to be transported from property to property without any stress or concerns so they can completely take their minds off everything and spend their money on a house. The point of the nicer car is not for the client to say "ohhhhhh the real estate agent is successful therefor I should be happy"....the point is for the car to block out all stresses in life so the focus is on the property.
I actually very rarely drive anybody around, and with COVID its verboten. I think I showed houses in my LS with customers in the car maybe once? Maybe twice. But very rarely, most people drive themselves and just follow me.

But it does project confidence though.
Old 01-17-21, 10:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I actually very rarely drive anybody around, and with COVID its verboten. I think I showed houses in my LS with customers in the car maybe once? Maybe twice. But very rarely, most people drive themselves and just follow me.

But it does project confidence though.
Times are changing I guess....
Old 01-17-21, 10:06 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Filet mignon is more tender,but ribeye is more flavourful
For a steak au poivre, filet is perfect, but a ribeye needs no sauce, it is perfect with just salt and pepper.
Old 01-17-21, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Times are changing I guess....
Definitely changing. I mean hell, we're selling houses to people without them ever even seeing them. Thats not common, but it does happen.
Old 01-17-21, 10:35 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

I was at Long & Foster for 15 years. People don't specifically care about what kind of car someone drives, but the kind of car they drive telegraphs an image of how successful, and therefore competent they are. Nobody says "I dont want to work with that guy because of his car" but they do say "I don't want to work with that guy and I don't really know why" and the car he drives is part of what helped them develop an unfavorable opinion of someone.

Great example of this. One of my oldest friends works for me now. He's always driven Accords and kept them a long time, so they get long in the tooth and beat up. I finally got him to buy a good car, he got an ES350. Had his best year ever last year, and his average sale price is way up, and his closing rate was way up. Car had a role in that, it just made him look more professional and legitimate.

I've been in sales my entire adult life, and I'm a second generation very successful salesperson. Its true lol.

This is a beautiful image of how it’s all about image and not substance. Likely the very reason happiness is elusive And why the divorce rate is so high as folks are chasing image and not responsibility.

jill said times are changing. Yes they are but people aren’t.

it’s a pity we don’t teach our young both the importance of responsibility and why it’s critically important NOT to live your life based on the opinions of others. It’s a far more satisfying life than pursuing things and “happiness”

my first commission check in commercial real estate was $830,000 (my take from a 50/50 split). It had nothing to do with the car.

Cars don’t make people happy. Good relationships do, helping others does, wisdom does, being responsible does. Cars excite people but deep down happiness? Nope.

times indeed are changing but people sure aren’t. They are the same as they were 2000 years ago. Some good some bad
Old 01-17-21, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Who said it was all about image and not about substance? It’s not, but like it or not image matters. People use the scant information they have about you to make an impression of you. What you wear, drive, how you look plays a role in that for people whether they realize it or not.

Im not saying people need to go out and spend $100,000 on a car, he bought a $27,000 CPO ES350 and it had an impact.

Now, most people don’t work in a business where people’s opinions of you have a direct impact on their success so for them none of this applies. Not sure where you got to responsibility and divorce rates from
my suggestion that when you’re in sales it’s important to project an image of competence and success lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-17-21 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Cars Won't Make You Happy