Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This guy tells it like it (was) with Saturn.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-21, 09:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

When I worked at a GM plant over the summer we were building the Saturn L series sedan, I was never a big fan of that car, it was okay but Accords, Camry's, Maxima's were much nicer.

I made a ton of money that summer, I basically lived at the GM plant working 7-12's getting as much overtime I possibly could, it wasn't bad because I was on final line when I got the over time shift which was mainly parking them, driving them to repair areas, doing final inspections/some fixes.

I liked the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, made at the same plant, one of the nicer looking 2 doors. I remember getting a ride in a lowered tuned black S coupe with the fold up lights, it wasn't bad looking and pretty quick, not sure what he did to it other then intake/exhaust. A lot of people say the best thing about Saturn was them getting a Honda V6 in the Redline.

Overall the brand nor models never impressed me, I remember the commercials for it in the late 80's and the way they were hyping them up I expected a very groundbreaking car but instead I found it very plain when I read about them, saw pictures, saw them.
Old 01-20-21, 06:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
When I worked at a GM plant over the summer we were building the Saturn L series sedan, I was never a big fan of that car, it was okay but Accords, Camry's, Maxima's were much nicer.
Yes, the L-series never had the quality of the S-series. It was basically the same platform that went into the Cadillac Catera and Saab 9-5....which also did not have a good reliability reputation. The first L-series I sampled was rather poorly-built; it has squeaks, suspension-noise over bumps, and what seemed to be a off-center steering wheel. It kept the plastic body panels on the doors and front fenders, but eliminated them on the rear fenders.

I made a ton of money that summer, I basically lived at the GM plant working 7-12's getting as much overtime I possibly could, it wasn't bad because I was on final line when I got the over time shift which was mainly parking them, driving them to repair areas, doing final inspections/some fixes.
Thank you for your service to the company. I'm sure you well-earned each paycheck you got.....although working conditions at that Wilmington, DE plant for the L-series were probably not as good as at the Spring Hill plant for the S-series.

(I take it that, since you went to the nearby University of Delaware at Newark, you were indeed working at the nearly Wilmington plant.....I know that is at least one of the places where the L-series was built)

Overall the brand nor models never impressed me, I remember the commercials for it in the late 80's and the way they were hyping them up I expected a very groundbreaking car but instead I found it very plain when I read about them, saw pictures, saw them.
I agree the S-series more or less drove like most economy cars, except for maybe a little more engine noise o the early ones, which was filtered out in later production. But they were, indeed, groundbreaking cars in several ways. The space-frame and plastic side-panels made accident repair very simple, and resisted dents/dings/corrosion. And the innovative spin-off transmission filter (which was not carried forward to any other later Saturn product) made transmission service a breeze for the technician....as simple as changing engine-oil.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-21 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-20-21, 08:45 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't see anything posted in here that would warrant putting someone on your ignore list...just people's opinions...
Me neither, but opinions hurt feelings too

They had some interesting ideas, but I'm sure there are reasons their "innovations" aren't seen in today's current vehicles. New and interesting at the time, sure. Groundbreaking? Hardly.

Last edited by sm1ke; 01-20-21 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-20-21, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
They had some interesting ideas, but I'm sure there are reasons their "innovations" aren't seen in today's current vehicles. New and interesting at the time, sure. Groundbreaking? Hardly.
There are probably three reasons you don't see the Saturn plastic panels today. One, of course, is cost. Two, the panels don't block out noise as well as metal panels. Three, the fact that plastic panels expand and contract significantly with heat and cold.....which means that relatively wide gaps are needed between them, so doors and fenders don't bind when opening and closing. The average car-buyer probably doesn't care, but auto-journalists tend to pan wide gaps as a sign of sloppy workmanship and poor production-tolerances, even if that is, in fact, not the case.

As for the innovative spin-off transmission filters, I think one or two other non-Saturn vehicles have used them, but, in general, I don't know why we don't see more of them...I don't have an answer for you on that one. They were a superb idea, especially for easy service in the bays, and they couldn't have cost that much more than conventional transmission filters, or else the Spring Hill plant couldn't have used them on the large number of low-priced S-series vehicles that were produced there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-21 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-20-21, 12:22 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Me neither, but opinions hurt feelings too
yea but making a post about saturn on a lexus forum... that's like... making a post about saturn on a lexus forum!
Old 01-20-21, 01:08 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are probably three reasons you don't see the Saturn plastic panels today. One, of course, is cost. Two, the panels don't block out noise as well as metal panels. Three, the fact that plastic panels expand and contract significantly with heat and cold.....which means that relatively wide gaps are needed between them, so doors and fenders don't bind when opening and closing. The average car-buyer probably doesn't care, but auto-journalists tend to pan wide gaps as a sign of sloppy workmanship and poor production-tolerances, even if that is, in fact, not the case.

As for the innovative spin-off transmission filters, I think one or two other non-Saturn vehicles have used them, but, in general, I don't know why we don't see more of them...I don't have an answer for you on that one. They were a superb idea, especially for easy service in the bays, and they couldn't have cost that much more than conventional transmission filters, or else the Spring Hill plant couldn't have used them on the large number of low-priced S-series vehicles that were produced there.
For those reasons, it's easy to see why the plastic panels never caught on. I know this has been beaten to death before so I'll leave it at that.

The transmission filters were probably good for the service techs, but I could see the do-it-yourselfers being a liability for Saturn or any brand that used this style on their cars. It wouldn't take much to contaminate transmission fluid enough to cause a serious problem. My thinking is that making it easy enough for a casual DIYer to perform introduces a potentially higher risk of damage due to the casual DIYer being a lot less careful than a certified mechanic. I would guess that the risk outweighed the benefit, and that's why we don't see them anymore. This also kind of explains why more and more manufacturers seem to go the way of "sealed transmissions" and no longer identify fluid change intervals for transmission fluid. That's my guess, at least.
Old 01-20-21, 01:30 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

As I have mentioned before, I owned a 2001 SL2. It was the first car I ever bought brand new. I liked the styling and the available options, such as traction control which, at that time, was quite rare in that class of vehicle. I remember looking at Civics and Corollas at that time and they were considerably more money, so I couldn't afford one of those unless it was a stripper model. I had it for just over 4 years and put over 100k miles on it. Wasn't a bad car by any means, but certainly not flawless either. No real complaints about the power or the way it drove. It was reasonably comfortable and roomy. Lots of cheap interior plastics, though. My head gasket started leaking at 37k miles (1k out of warranty), fuel pump went out at about 85k, and sunroof motor died at 100k miles. I truly enjoyed the car, though some of my nostalgia for it is simply that it was the first car I ever got to buy brand new. I traded in a 1988 CR-X for it, so it definitely felt "new".

My in-laws bought (and still have) an L300, purchased in 2000. The leather seats have not held up well but otherwise the interior is basically okay. Again, lots of hard plastics. Has about 150k on the odo, so it needs some occasional repairs and maintenance, but my mother-in-law refuses to give it up as she's uncomfortable driving their Durango.

I remember when the Ion came out and I went to the dealership to test drive one but remember thinking "what is this thing?" Man, it was just awful.
Old 01-20-21, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

For those reasons, it's easy to see why the plastic panels never caught on. I know this has been beaten to death before so I'll leave it at that.
It's hard to beat those panels to death LOL. Those panels can take a lot of punishment...that's why the reps used to beat them with baseball bats at th auto shows...to show how impressive they were.

The transmission filters were probably good for the service techs, but I could see the do-it-yourselfers being a liability for Saturn or any brand that used this style on their cars. It wouldn't take much to contaminate transmission fluid enough to cause a serious problem. My thinking is that making it easy enough for a casual DIYer to perform introduces a potentially higher risk of damage due to the casual DIYer being a lot less careful than a certified mechanic. I would guess that the risk outweighed the benefit, and that's why we don't see them anymore. This also kind of explains why more and more manufacturers seem to go the way of "sealed transmissions" and no longer identify fluid change intervals for transmission fluid. That's my guess, at least.
.....and look at all the problems those sealed transmissions are having. Many of them don't last anywhere near the life of the vehicle.
Old 01-20-21, 03:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I remember when the Ion came out and I went to the dealership to test drive one but remember thinking "what is this thing?" Man, it was just awful.
Except for the nice plastic body panels, the Ion was a joke from Day One. Car and Driver, when it first debuted, called it the "Worst new American car in a decade". When I test-drove one, I concurred.
Old 01-25-21, 12:02 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

An excellent video....I think it deserves a new thread, although I'll defer to the moderators if they want to merge it with a older Saturn thread, or unlock/re-open one of the closed-threads.

Anyhow, although this guy does get a few of the car-spec figures wrong, like the number of plastic panels on the L-series, the spelling/pronunciation of the Aura/Aurora sedan, and omits the plastic-bodied first-generation VUE, I can totally agree with about 95% of what he says....and, in good conscience, I could have made about 95% of this video myself. After owning an SL2 sedan, I still vividly remember my own test-drive of a new Ion and remarking how poorly it was designed. And of the First-Generation VUE, whose electric power-steering and complete lack of feel was like sitting at an imitation steering-wheel on a computer. In general, though, although he was off a little in a few in the individual-model-specs, he was (and is) right-on about what caused Saturn's sad demise.

Having said that, to be honest, I did not think that ALL of the post-S-series Saturn products were junk or inadequate. After looking at, and test-driving, a new Aura sedan, I was impressed with it even though it, like its sister Chevy Malibu, used steel panels instead of plastic. I only had two minor beefs with it...a serious lack of rear-seat head-room (which was largely irrelevant, since I rarely ever carry anyone in back), and the fact that they sold firmer-riding lower-profile tires on the nicer V6 version than with the four. I did, however, consider an Aura purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDYBxU2GwU
I drove a new 1st gen Vue, definitly in my top 5 worst vehicles I have ever driven. Amazingly SLOW ! for CA freeways. They should have named it the "Yield"
Old 01-25-21, 12:53 PM
sm1ke
Racer

It's hard to beat those panels to death LOL. Those panels can take a lot of punishment...that's why the reps used to beat them with baseball bats at th auto shows...to show how impressive they were.
Fast forward 10 years, in the dead of winter, and see how that door panel handles those baseball bats. Bet it doesn't end well lol. Doesn't really matter though, the idea was never revisited in modern cars, and didn't lead to anything. It belongs in the past IMO.

.....and look at all the problems those sealed transmissions are having. Many of them don't last anywhere near the life of the vehicle.
That's fair, but do you agree that spin-on filters could introduce a higher risk of damage due to the casual DIYer being a lot less careful than a certified mechanic (or a "Quick Lube" attendant)? Spin-on filters never lasted long, so I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. File the idea up on the shelf, right beside the plastic door panel idea.
Old 01-25-21, 04:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Fast forward 10 years, in the dead of winter, and see how that door panel handles those baseball bats. Bet it doesn't end well lol. Doesn't really matter though, the idea was never revisited in modern cars, and didn't lead to anything. It belongs in the past IMO.
Yep.....it's sure an old-fashioned idea to keep your local body shop from becoming rich.

That's fair, but do you agree that spin-on filters could introduce a higher risk of damage due to the casual DIYer being a lot less careful than a certified mechanic (or a "Quick Lube" attendant)? Spin-on filters never lasted long, so I suppose it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. File the idea up on the shelf, right beside the plastic door panel idea.
The spin-off filters were essentially the same as a spin-off oil filter. The only difference is that there are magnets inside of the filters that attract and hold any iron/steel shavings that wear off the inside of the transmission and get in the fluid. Those magnets have to be taken out and cleaned when the filter is replaced....then they are re-usable inside the next filter.

Old 01-25-21, 04:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

At the end of the day, door dings are $100 to have removed with PDR, and are largely mitigated by parking carefully.
Old 01-25-21, 04:28 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I drove a new 1st gen Vue, definitly in my top 5 worst vehicles I have ever driven. Amazingly SLOW ! for CA freeways. They should have named it the "Yield"
The first gen Vue had a Honda J35 V6 option that made it faster than a Top Fuel dragster.
Old 01-25-21, 04:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
At the end of the day, door dings are $100 to have removed with PDR, and are largely mitigated by parking carefully.
Oh, I agree that careful parking is essential....but that doesn't necessarily prevent other careless people (and kids) from dinging things up with their bikes, scooters, door-openings, trees/nuts, etc... Companies like Dent-Wizard and Dent-Works will also, in some cases, come out to your place and repair your car (if possible), right on the spot....you don't necessarily have to go to a body shop (I was being facetious when I said that).

A complicating factor with plastic-body Saturns is that the paint on the plastic panels has to be done by a special process that allows the paint to flex in/out and expand/contract with the panels themselves, as plastic is affected by heat and cold more than steel or aluminum. That is why you have those large panel-gaps that some people (who, in fact, did not know what they were talking about, and were just spouting off) falsely-attributed to poor workmanship and assembly processes. Those gaps allow for expansion/contraction in extreme temperatures without the doors and fenders binding up. That special paint itself is what Saturn called "Waterborne" paint....I'm not an expert on the exact formula or make-up that type of paint, and don't know all of its details, but it results in a mirror-like shine, without orange-peel. Not all body-shops were capable of doing that type of paint-work, and some of them had to be Certified to work on plastic-body Saturns. The good thing, though, was, like I mentioned earlier, sometimes the panels could be ordered from the factory already pre-painted if the color in question was still available at the factory.

Quick Reply: This guy tells it like it (was) with Saturn.