Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Lexus conundrum - LS500 vs G90

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-21 | 07:13 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Default A Lexus conundrum - LS500 vs G90

Open question to CL forumers - helping my friend's dad with a luxobarge purchase. Replacing his 13 LS460 AWD and really likes uber-plush comfy rides, budget under $75k. All prices below are negotiated prices and not MSRP:

We considered the 2020 leftover model new Kia K900 ($45k) and new Audi A8 ($73k) and narrowed it down to these two:

Used 19 LS500 AWD ($66k) 14k miles with Exec Package: Liked it $36k savings off MSRP, has pretty much all options, brand & build. Disliked the not-as-comfy ride, tighter rear seats, infotainment learning curve
New 2020 G90 V8 AWD ($69k): Liked it rides better & quieter than the 13 LS and 19 LS, stunning looks, free maintenance. Disliked Hyundai dealership ownership experience, potential huge drop in resale value
New 2021 LS500 AWD ($74k): Liked the new touch screen, revised supple suspension tuning. Disliked can only afford base trim (no ML audio, no 360 camera, base leather)

Didn't anticipate liking the G90 as much as he did, but used 2017-2019 G90's drop values like a rock though recent Hyundai/Genesis products have held up better. Welcome your thoughts on either of the LS variants compared to the G90; or any other models under $75k?

Old 01-23-21 | 07:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Saw a LS500 last night parked in my underground...gorgeous. Someone just got one....small interior but nice beautiful design
Old 01-23-21 | 08:07 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Get what is liked more. Life is too short. If buying for long term and not a few years, then depreciation does not concern me quite as much. If depreciation was a major factor, I would buy used. Good luck either way.
Old 01-23-21 | 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

G90, hands-down. I understand the resale-value arguement, but also keep in mind that, for the most part, those values are simply on paper unless someone (or a dealership) is actually willing to give you the money. Some places will give you good trade-ins, and some places are cheap even if you have a cream-puff of a used car.

However, I base my opinion only on inspections/reviews and test-drives. If you want to get a good ownership experience from someone on the forum who had actually owned one for a few years, on a lease, try PM'img bitkahuna.
Old 01-23-21 | 08:17 AM
swajames
Pole Position

If there’s a concern about the depreciation on the G90 but your friend seems to really like the car then why not take advantage of the drop in value and buy a good preowned example?
Old 01-23-21 | 08:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
G90, hands-down. I understand the resale-value arguement, but also keep in mind that, for the most part, those values are simply on paper unless someone (or a dealership) is actually willing to give you the money. Some places will give you good trade-ins, and some places are cheap even if you have a cream-puff of a used car.

However, I base my opinion only on inspections/reviews and test-drives. If you want to get a good ownership experience from someone on the forum who had actually owned one for a few years, on a lease, try PM'img bitkahuna.
I will never understand the resale-value argument....
Old 01-23-21 | 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I will never understand the resale-value argument....

The point I was making is that much of it is simply figures on paper...what one would actually get for it, in $$$$$ in your pocket, depends on what a dealership or private-buyer is willing to give you. I have dealt with good examples of both cheapskates and parties that were willing to give good trades.
Old 01-23-21 | 08:21 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Based on what you said about the three cars listed, it seems like the G90 would be best. As noted above about depreciation, besides buying used, he could always lease and not have to worry about depreciation.
Old 01-23-21 | 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would get the G90 because of his budget. If he could pay enough to get the 21 LS well equipped that might change my viewpoint. Were you able to drive a refreshed LS500?
Old 01-23-21 | 01:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Lease the G90 - probably cheaper than taking the depreciation hit and paying tax on full purchase price.
Old 01-23-21 | 02:25 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

lol, a new LS500 is WAY more expensive than even a fully loaded G90, so the depreciation argument is moot. Not to mention that the LS500 isn't exactly holding its value all that well either. I don't think anyone should be buying these cars if resale is a top priority.

Aside from being flagships, the LS500 and G90 are really different vehicles. LS has more sporting intentions and is a hybrid between a Panamera and a CT6, while the G90 is a traditional luxobarge limo. It would be easier to compare the G90 to an LS460 than an LS500. As with all purchases, it depends on what you're looking for in your daily drive.
Old 01-23-21 | 02:47 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
Based on what you said about the three cars listed, it seems like the G90 would be best. As noted above about depreciation, besides buying used, he could always lease and not have to worry about depreciation.
I think so as well - unfortunately there aren't many used 2020 G90's (with the new body style) and the prices are close enough to new, might as well buy new. But looking at low mileage 18-19 G90's taking $30k hits was just something to consider

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would get the G90 because of his budget. If he could pay enough to get the 21 LS well equipped that might change my viewpoint. Were you able to drive a refreshed LS500?
He did, liked the 21 LS500 ride better than 19 LS500 but get a lot less for your $$ (the dealership was only giving a $6k discount off MSRP for new 21 LS500)

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lease the G90 - probably cheaper than taking the depreciation hit and paying tax on full purchase price.
My friend's dad is a traditional "always buy, never lease" kinda guy; but the lease #'s weren't all that attractive + he plans on keeping this 7-10 years so I'm leaning him towards a car he enjoys.

The Genesis (brand) has actually pretty solid reliability, the dealership experience I figure can only improve. Think the G90 is a solid bet....and yeah, the LS500 isn't holding its own value well anyway so at this point, live life vs worrying about on-paper value as mmarshall suggested.
Old 01-23-21 | 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I really think the G90 is the right call. Ton of car for the money and a very sensible replacement for an LS460.

Having had a base LS and a well optioned LS, base is no fun. You need ML and the interior upgrades etc, all of which the G90 has. It’s equipped like a $105k LS500.
Old 01-23-21 | 06:54 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

I had convinced myself that a G90 was going to be my next car due to the V8 and softer ride vs. the new LS. For well over a year now, I have monitored the Genesis forums, visited local Hyundai/Genesis dealers, read dealer reviews, etc. and I’ve decided to RUN away from Genesis until they get their dealer network up to speed and better corporate support for the Genesis brand. The G90 is a great car, though it does have some common issues just as any other model does. I would highly recommend your friends father spend some time looking at the Genesis forums. Since he is coming from Lexus, he’s going to be in for a real shock! The most recent saga seems to be that Genesis had a falling out with their software supplier for the GPS system in the 17-19 G90s and now no more updates are going to be available for the system. Apparently even the 20-21 models are having issues with the GPS systems now. Dealer and even corporate support seems to be dismal save for a select few dealers throughout the country. This shouldn’t come as a surprise given many of these dealers are used to dealing with people buying a car in the $25-35k range, not $70k+. If your friends dad is willing to risk dismal dealer/corporate support, then the G90 might be worth the risk for what he’s looking for, but maybe he should find a certified 17 or 18 G90, which can be found in the mid-$30k range with the V8.
Old 01-23-21 | 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Well as someone who has a 2018 G90 (with lease about to end), plus i sat in a new LS500 yesterday, i'll chime in.

In 3 years of ownership, my G90 has been fabulous. Only one glitch with a volume **** that they fixed under warranty. All maintenance has been included. It would be nice to buy it out of the lease, but after just buying an LC500 i have to draw the line somewhere

yesterday i saw in a 2021 LS500 (first time), and like SW17LS has said on several occasions, i was surprised how small it is inside. The front seats are cuccooning and sporty (great) but positioned for myself, i cannot sit comfortably in the back seat, and there's no room under the front seat to slide your feet under which is really surprising!

COOLIS comments on the G90 make me laugh. The car is fabulous, and the concierge service means i never had to go the dealer once.

Wandl, best of luck.

Quick Reply: A Lexus conundrum - LS500 vs G90