Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D - K900 and Cadenza are dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 05:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
People who buy Kias don't care about exclusive.
You can be such a killjoy sometimes (not being disrespectful here in any way)....anyone who likes/loves cars should be able to appreciate something high end without a luxury badge slapped on it. My 04 4R with the V8, hydraulic suspension, soft close rear door, and full time 4wd with rear air is sort of like that...Toyota stripped some of that with my 21 model but added nice stuff like optitron and other such stuff..see the joy Steve...the enthusiasm...

G90 in Canada offers a special order V6...but standard V8...never seen anyone do it that way.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-21 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You can be such a killjoy sometimes (not being disrespectful here)....anyone who likes/loves cars should be able to appreciate something high end without a luxury badge slapped on it. My 4R with the V8, hydraulic suspension, and full time 4wd with rear air is sort of like that...see the joy Steve...the enthusiasm...
I totally appreciate the vehicle, Im just looking through the lens of the industry as a business. Buyers don't look to Kia when they want cars that are exclusive, and something isn't exclusive just because not many people buy them. In order for something to be exclusive, you need to have people who want it and yet can't have it.

Perhaps "exclusive" is the wrong word. "Rare" or perhaps "unusual" is a better description. Your 4 Runner is an unusual vehicle, but its not exclusive.
Old 01-26-21, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

While I understand the business aspect of not offering what is clearly not selling (or, at least, is not selling in the numbers that the bean-counters would like)...there are also sometimes credible reasons to keep slow-selling vehicles in production for the few who DO want them. For an example, Chrysler kept the Prowler in production even as a very slow-seller, as Ford did with the GT and Mazda with the Millenia....there are other example sas well. One could argue that, partly as a result, Chrysler went bankrupt...yet Ford managed to avoid bankruptcy doing the same thing.

There is also the question if it also involves actually shutting down a plant, or just one of several vehicles produced at that plant. Auto companies need to sell vehicles to stay in business.....even, in some cases, to their own workers......and workers who get laid off at plants, collecting unemployment, generally cannot afford new vehicles...from their own company of any other.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-21 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 06:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To be clear, the Ford GT was not a slow selling car, it was/is an extremely expensive supercar. Not comparable with the Mazda Millennia or Plymouth Prowler lol

Its a business, you have to have enough people who want them to make it worth it to sell them here. For 300 people a year, clearly Kia decided it was not worth it.
Old 01-26-21, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

To be clear, the Ford GT was not a slow selling car, it was/is an extremely expensive supercar. Not comparable with the Mazda Millennia or Plymouth Prowler lol
Of course it was a slow seller. How many people do you know can just walk into a showroom and plunk down 200K (in markups) for one.....don't hold your breath. I've seen them actually marked up that high.

Its a business, you have to have enough people who want them to make it worth it to sell them here. For 300 people a year, clearly Kia decided it was not worth it.
Jill brought up some good points, though....just because a sedan does not sell in Camry or Accord numbers doesn't necessarily mean it should be canned. As she herself asked......"What do you expect.........20,000?"

We've seen that in the past......automakers drop products on the excuses of "low sales", and then are caught flat-footed when demand for those products rises again.

Gas prices have been very low and stable in the U.S. for several years....but a new administration is starting to take some actions which could threaten that. We can't discuss them at length because of CL's political ban, but they could very easily force gas prices up again shortly.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-26-21 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 06:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I totally appreciate the vehicle, Im just looking through the lens of the industry as a business. Buyers don't look to Kia when they want cars that are exclusive, and something isn't exclusive just because not many people buy them. In order for something to be exclusive, you need to have people who want it and yet can't have it.

Perhaps "exclusive" is the wrong word. "Rare" or perhaps "unusual" is a better description. Your 4 Runner is an unusual vehicle, but its not exclusive.
All good. 👍

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-26-21 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-26-21, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Your 4 Runner is an unusual vehicle, but its not exclusive.
How is it unusual? It's one of the top-selling truck-based SUVs that's not in the full-sized Tahoe/Suburban and Ford Expedition class.
Old 01-26-21, 08:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

The Kia K9 was a very special car when it carried the V8 option. The V6 is just meh as lots of upmarket non luxury cars have a 6. The K900 should have kept the V8. But a V8 in a KIA is rare, exclusive and is a bit a sleeper. As for styling, neither the Kia K900 or the G90 look spectacular...
V8's are now rare, period. A mercedes e class, hardly a low end car, has a 4 cylinder turbo base engine that most people get. An available 6 cylinder turbo (e450) is VERY fast. They do have a v8 turbo version, but that's hugely expensive and so fast that it becomes more 'yeah, but whats the point?'.

As for the genesis/hyundai/kia twin turbo v8 (in 3.3 and new 3.5 versions), respectfully, if you've not experienced one, you have no idea. And before you say again the LS has more horsepower, again, until you drive one you have no idea. My genesis g90 3.3ttv6 is QUICK. In 'eco' or 'normal' mode the shifts/response isn't as quick as in sport mode, but it will still leave most everything in the dust from a traffic stop. My lc500 is surely quicker, but not right from the start, the lexus 5.0 v8 has to get up some revs to get going. Both awesome engines.

Its not really about sales. That type of car is ultra exclusive and a V8 makes it even more. Sort of like Land Crusier.
The land cruiser, which sells in such low numbers they just canceled it you mean?

Originally Posted by Motorola
Now that the Cadenza and K900 are finished, I'm curious to see what happens to the Stinger.
i think it will be gone within 2 years.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course it was a slow seller. How many people do you know can just walk into a showroom and plunk down 200K (in markups) for one.....don't hold your breath. I've seen them actually marked up that high.
slow is relative. Slow compared to a toyota camry? Sure. But for a super car, the ford GT as sold WELL.

Gas prices have been very low and stable in the U.S. for several years....but a new administration is starting to take some actions which could threaten that. We can't discuss them at length because of CL's political ban, but they could very easily force gas prices up again shortly.
Please don't skirt around the no politics rules by writing about politics and then adding you can't go further.
Old 01-26-21, 10:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
V8's are now rare, period. A mercedes e class, hardly a low end car, has a 4 cylinder turbo base engine that most people get. An available 6 cylinder turbo (e450) is VERY fast. They do have a v8 turbo version, but that's hugely expensive
Is any of that surprising? We've all discussed, on Car Chat, about how smaller turbo engines are going to replace larger N/A ones. One of the most obvious cases, of course, is right on my own Encore GX.

i think it will be gone within 2 years.
Probably. Like you, I'd lay better than 50/50 odds on it. Doug Demuro might (?) wish he had kept his...it could become a classic.

Please don't skirt around the no politics rules by writing about politics and then adding you can't go further.
OK, fine, I'll drop that subject...but I didn't see what little I wrote as getting into politics, at least to that extent.
Old 01-27-21, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Of course it was a slow seller. How many people do you know can just walk into a showroom and plunk down 200K (in markups) for one.....don't hold your breath. I've seen them actually marked up that high.[[[[[[
As with the discussion about the Corvette, we have to have a talk about what it means when you say something is a slow seller. It means demand is low and people don't want to buy it. No the Corvette is not a slow seller nor was the Ford GT. You dont get MSRP markups on a vehicle with poor demand.

Thats not going to increase demand for a full sized flagship luxury car with same as SUV fuel economy. Gas prices are as low as they are because of demand drops brought about by the pandemic. Fuel prices will absolutely go up as demand goes up, but in this case thats a good thing. The low fuel prices are a sign of weakness in our economy.
Old 01-27-21, 07:59 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife doesn’t know it yet, but both of these cars are on a short list to replace the aging ‘08 LS. Either one would be joining the “exclusive” TourX 😂.
Old 01-27-21, 10:06 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
My wife doesn’t know it yet, but both of these cars are on a short list to replace the aging ‘08 LS. Either one would be joining the “exclusive” TourX 😂.
Lol have a stable of cars that are discontinued? To be honest, I LOVED driving the TourX wagon, such a unique look...my wife shot me down however.

The Kia K900 was heavily considered as part a friend's purchase, it did lack the looks + had more brand stigma, but it was honestly a supple ride that had modern amneties (360 camera, safety systems, CarPlay). It is unfortunate they are discontinuing it but makes sense in a SUV-heavy North American market. The Toyota Land Cruiser sold ~300 units/month as well (at least it is a SUV - faces same issue on someone spending almost $90k on a Toyota like $65k on a Kia).
Old 01-27-21, 10:15 AM
stasek
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wandl
Lol have a stable of cars that are discontinued? To be honest, I LOVED driving the TourX wagon, such a unique look...my wife shot me down however.

The Kia K900 was heavily considered as part a friend's purchase, it did lack the looks + had more brand stigma, but it was honestly a supple ride that had modern amneties (360 camera, safety systems, CarPlay). It is unfortunate they are discontinuing it but makes sense in a SUV-heavy North American market. The Toyota Land Cruiser sold ~300 units/month as well (at least it is a SUV - faces same issue on someone spending almost $90k on a Toyota like $65k on a Kia).
Luckily, my wife is pretty easy going when it comes to cars. She hated the idea of the TourX, but after driving it, she’s warmed up to it. Same thing with my short stint with the Stinger - like a lit of people, she was like - “a KIA???” Again, changed her mind after driving it.
Old 01-27-21, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stasek
it. Same thing with my short stint with the Stinger - like a lit of people, she was like - “a KIA???” Again, changed her mind after driving it.
Did it change her mind to actually “keep” it?
Old 01-27-21, 10:25 AM
stasek
Advanced

Did it change her mind to actually “keep” it?
That was supposed to be my car - I had a discussion about it about a year ago. Due to games the dealer was playing, I wound up returning it.

Quick Reply: C&D - K900 and Cadenza are dead