Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 bmw m5 cs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 12:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,960 Likes on 2,494 Posts

Old 01-27-21, 01:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
"Capable" of course is a very subjective word.

EDIT: And just to be clear, not at all denigrating BMW's effort here. The fact that they stuck with the powered carbon seats shows they intended to maintain a certain floor in terms of usable level of performance. It just says a lot though that we're supposed to celebrate the weight savings of a car that is heavier than the base model was only two generations ago.
Agreed and this has a lot to do with regulations and also client base wanting all the fancy tech gizmos and AWD. Therefore comparing it to E60 is not fair. BMW is at least still trying at least on the CS models. The future looks very bleak for ICE performance cars and BMW design on new models is questionable to say the least...
The new M3/4 are huge disappointments in terms of weight, lack of DCT, ugly styling and many other issues.
Old 01-29-21, 07:55 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

This is such a pointless car from a buyers pound of view. unless the whole point was to just say they can make a really expensive really capable sports sedan no matter the price.

BMW’s Problem is that their car sell well at a certain price point but when you get up to $150,000 for a vehicle, you have no market. This is why the M8 doesn’t sell, neither did the I8. No one wants to pay that kind of money for the BMW badge.

Bmw needs to undercut Porsche and Mercedes and to a lesser extent Audi, to get a bigger market share in order to sell a car like this.

This is why Bmw does so well in the $60,000-$80,000 price range. They’ve essentially cornered the market for M vehicles especially if you wanna manual transmission.

Old 01-29-21, 01:54 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
This is such a pointless car from a buyers pound of view. unless the whole point was to just say they can make a really expensive really capable sports sedan no matter the price.

BMW’s Problem is that their car sell well at a certain price point but when you get up to $150,000 for a vehicle, you have no market. This is why the M8 doesn’t sell, neither did the I8. No one wants to pay that kind of money for the BMW badge.

Bmw needs to undercut Porsche and Mercedes and to a lesser extent Audi, to get a bigger market share in order to sell a car like this.

This is why Bmw does so well in the $60,000-$80,000 price range. They’ve essentially cornered the market for M vehicles especially if you wanna manual transmission.
What an odd post - did you miss the part about this being a one-off that's only going to be produced for a year? The target market isn't anyone who is going to cross-shop. The target market is precisely people who want an extreme M5 and don't care what the price is.
Old 01-29-21, 02:17 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

What an odd post - did you miss the part about this being a one-off that's only going to be produced for a year? The target market isn't anyone who is going to cross-shop. The target market is precisely people who want an extreme M5 and don't care what the price is.
why is it odd to comment on overpriced BMW’s? My comment wasn’t specific to the M5CS, my comment was to exemplify that people don’t want overpriced bimmers esp when they start approaching a territory that’s dominated with cars that have more brand cache.

there are currently 186 brand new m5s for sale going as far back as MY2019. There are 97 M8s. Same thing happened with the i8. This car is in the same vein as those vehicles that people don’t buy. To your point that this is a one off, it’s like Lexus making a track GSF for $130k for their final year. As much as we would all lust after it, there’s no market for the car. BMW over speculates the market for expensive models.

maybe this m5 CS will be more coveted, bc of its exclusivity, but I was bringing attention to price vs capability vs market demand. Don’t think that’s odd at all, in fact it’s pretty on point.
Old 01-29-21, 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I always thought some BMWs hit the $200K mark like a Mercedes AMG. The price tag seems kinda sky high for a 5 series. If there was a V10 or V12, I guess it’s possible the price could be justified. Thoughts?
Old 01-29-21, 03:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's hard to put a value on all of the international coverage, in all types of media, the M5 CS is getting with this one year only model (although I'm sure that BMW corporate has a good idea).

Old 01-29-21, 04:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

why is it odd to comment on overpriced BMW’s? My comment wasn’t specific to the M5CS, my comment was to exemplify that people don’t want overpriced bimmers esp when they start approaching a territory that’s dominated with cars that have more brand cache.

there are currently 186 brand new m5s for sale going as far back as MY2019. There are 97 M8s. Same thing happened with the i8. This car is in the same vein as those vehicles that people don’t buy. To your point that this is a one off, it’s like Lexus making a track GSF for $130k for their final year. As much as we would all lust after it, there’s no market for the car. BMW over speculates the market for expensive models.

maybe this m5 CS will be more coveted, bc of its exclusivity, but I was bringing attention to price vs capability vs market demand. Don’t think that’s odd at all, in fact it’s pretty on point.
M5cs is priced very well imo and is much cheaper than comparable Panamera or even AMG-GT4.

The reason that 8series is not selling is because it is Overpriced. It should have been a 6series since it still shares 5series platform. BMW got greedy slapped on 8series moniker and jacked up the price vs 6series/M6. The styling on the 8series is also not very good and has Mustang styling cues, its a far cry from the original legendary 8series that had a timeless design.

I think BMW will also have a hard time selling new M3/4. The styling is too hideous and they cut corners on the performance side. It is a Great value though and i may pick up AWD variant when my X3 lease is done.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-29-21 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-30-21, 02:50 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

To your point that this is a one off, it’s like Lexus making a track GSF for $130k for their final year. As much as we would all lust after it, there’s no market for the car. BMW over speculates the market for expensive models.
You do realize that buyers paid over MSRP for the RC F Track Edition?
Old 01-30-21, 06:56 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

shh
let him have this
Old 01-30-21, 07:26 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sdls
shh
let him have this
What happened, did you two put down deposits on an m5CS and are now getting super butthurt that someone has a differing opinion ? Lol.

I thought car forums were about people sharing their thoughts.

I get that you think it’s a great car, that’s priced well, but at a $150k, I disagree with that.
Old 01-30-21, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

What happened, did you two put down deposits on an m5CS and are now getting super butthurt that someone has a differing opinion ? Lol.

I get that you think it’s a great car, that’s priced well, but at a $150k, I disagree with that.
Why don’t you think it’s worth 150k?
Old 01-30-21, 08:14 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Why don’t you think it’s worth 150k?
i haven’t driven it obv, and I’m not the target buyer for the car, I totally get that, but others who are saying it’s worth it have driven it either so I guess we are all in the same boat.

My statement had more to do with my opinion that a buyer spending $150k would lean towards a Porsche or MB, for the badge snobbery. BMW has a tough time with really expensive cars despite the car being capable. I’m sure some people will buy it, but it’s kind of like Acura and the new NSX, or even Lexus and the LFA (I know it’s a collectors now). And when cars like this fail, car companies scrap other sports car programs that have a higher potential to be successful.

Lots of automotive budgeting is getting funneled towards electrification, so I’d rather M money be spent towards something like an m3 wagon at the $80k price point. Something I’d consider buying, and something more BMW buyers, IMO, would be interested in. BMW does well at that price.

so I respect bmw for making it as a halo sports sedan, even more so that it’s possibly better than a panamera or MB AMG competitors, but I don’t see it as a huge success for the company, and rather see a different car come out of their M division. But it is a notch on BMW’s headboard so I do give them some props for it.

I hope this message contextualizes why I said it’s a useless car.
Old 01-30-21, 08:27 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

I was having fun you should always feel free to voice your opinion!
Old 01-30-21, 08:31 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sdls
I was having fun you should always feel free to voice your opinion!
lol. No worries man, I didn’t take it personally, I was also just joking around.

Quick Reply: 2022 bmw m5 cs