Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 bmw m5 cs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 11:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
i haven’t driven it obv, and I’m not the target buyer for the car, I totally get that, but others who are saying it’s worth it have driven it either so I guess we are all in the same boat.

My statement had more to do with my opinion that a buyer spending $150k would lean towards a Porsche or MB, for the badge snobbery. BMW has a tough time with really expensive cars despite the car being capable. I’m sure some people will buy it, but it’s kind of like Acura and the new NSX, or even Lexus and the LFA (I know it’s a collectors now). And when cars like this fail, car companies scrap other sports car programs that have a higher potential to be successful.

Lots of automotive budgeting is getting funneled towards electrification, so I’d rather M money be spent towards something like an m3 wagon at the $80k price point. Something I’d consider buying, and something more BMW buyers, IMO, would be interested in. BMW does well at that price.

so I respect bmw for making it as a halo sports sedan, even more so that it’s possibly better than a panamera or MB AMG competitors, but I don’t see it as a huge success for the company, and rather see a different car come out of their M division. But it is a notch on BMW’s headboard so I do give them some props for it.

I hope this message contextualizes why I said it’s a useless car.
I am open for a good discussion with you...So you are right that price point is in where the Porsche cars appear...however, I think this car is for a true BMW fan...a collector...someone who might track their car... While I get there is electrification going on, the big profit is in these gas models that companies are selling for high prices...it doesn't cost BMW that much more to build this model over the M5 that already exists...and really doesn't cost them all that much to build these models compared to the lower end 5 series modes. Lexus is doing the same thing with the RC-F track edition. Or the fancy LC Aviation trim lines etc.
Old 01-30-21, 11:35 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am open for a good discussion with you...So you are right that price point is in where the Porsche cars appear...however, I think this car is for a true BMW fan...a collector...someone who might track their car... While I get there is electrification going on, the big profit is in these gas models that companies are selling for high prices...it doesn't cost BMW that much more to build this model over the M5 that already exists...and really doesn't cost them all that much to build these models compared to the lower end 5 series modes. Lexus is doing the same thing with the RC-F track edition. Or the fancy LC Aviation trim lines etc.
And more to the point, any enthusiast should be ecstatic that the companies are willing to build these cars for those hardcore collectors. The RC F Track Edition was an incredibly weak offering in comparison and there were still buyers willing to pay over MSRP for it; the notion that there is no market for these one-offs is total bluster.

Last edited by gengar; 01-30-21 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 09:30 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that some people paid over MSRP for a track edition RCF.
Old 01-31-21, 10:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that some people paid over MSRP for a track edition RCF.
Why are you having such a difficult time understanding?
Old 01-31-21, 12:53 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/20...but-on-monday/

the CT5 black wing could be an interesting car. Unless it’s priced at $150k like the m5CS lol, which it almost certainly won’t be. I think Cadillac knows how much it’s core demographic will pay, something BMW has yet to figure out.

650 horses, manual transmission prob top out at $100k.
Old 01-31-21, 12:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
There are ppl paying over MSRP on USED C8 Corvettes lol.....US dollar is on track to being worthless so might as well dump it on something you enjoy.

BTW the real funny money starts if you want Porsche GT car or mid engine Ferrari. 😀
Old 01-31-21, 12:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/20...but-on-monday/

the CT5 black wing could be an interesting car. Unless it’s priced at $150k like the m5CS lol, which it almost certainly won’t be. I think Cadillac knows how much it’s core demographic will pay, something BMW has yet to figure out.

650 horses, manual transmission prob top out at $100k.
Right that’s why last gen CtsV and AtsV were overpriced and collecting dust at dealers.
Go try to get new M2cs right now - M5cs will sell without issue.
Old 01-31-21, 01:09 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Right that’s why last gen CtsV and AtsV were overpriced and collecting dust at dealers.
i can get an M2CS right now. My CA from whom I bough a m2 comp last month just asked if I was interested. She’ll even try to shave some $ off sticker. Plenty for sale at sticker if you do a search.

pm me I’ll give you her number.

I agree that the CT5 will Sit around. I think m5 CS will sit around as well. But the CT 5 after a nice discount on leftover stock seems like a good buy. Chevy SSs that also sat around, were bought for 20% off. Those still sell for high $30k to low $40k. That was a good buy at the end of the model year.
Old 01-31-21, 01:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What does CtsV or AtsV have to do with this thread?
Old 01-31-21, 02:58 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

i can get an M2CS right now. My CA from whom I bough a m2 comp last month just asked if I was interested. She’ll even try to shave some $ off sticker. Plenty for sale at sticker if you do a search.

pm me I’ll give you her number.

I agree that the CT5 will Sit around. I think m5 CS will sit around as well. But the CT 5 after a nice discount on leftover stock seems like a good buy. Chevy SSs that also sat around, were bought for 20% off. Those still sell for high $30k to low $40k. That was a good buy at the end of the model year.
I passed on M2cs at msrp for custom allocation and decided to keep my M3comp.
Putting $$$ towards another car if i get an allocation.

My local dealers have sold every M2cs they received. There are ones available but don’t last long.

I disagree on M5cs bec its only a 1 model year run and price is not that much higher vs a fully specced M5comp with CCBs. It has gotten very positive reception also.

The issue with Caddy is they killed any prestige the brand ever had and then to kill the CTS and V model names - I can’t imagine supporting a brand like this. Hopefully CT5 is amazing and sells well but I don’t have much hopes.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-31-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 03:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I passed on M2cs at msrp for custom allocation and decided to keep my M3comp.
Putting $$$ towards another car if i get an allocation.

My local dealers have sold every M2cs they received. There are ones available but don’t last long.

I disagree on M5cs bec its only a 1 model year run and price is not that much higher vs a fully specced M5comp with CCBs. It has gotten very positive reception also.

The issue with Caddy is they killed any prestige the brand ever had and then to kill the CTS and V model names - I can’t imagine supporting a brand like this. Hopefully CT5 is amazing and sells well but I don’t have much hopes.
This.

Plus as this quote from the article says, there probably won't be many around for BMW or consumers to worry about.
"We don't expect many will be found on dealer lots. With such a limited run, they'll probably all be spoken for long before they roll off the boat in the United States."
Old 01-31-21, 04:57 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

What does CtsV or AtsV have to do with this thread?
CT5 Blackwing is the replacement for CTS-V.
Cadillac in their infinite wisdom decided to change the name of ATS to CT4 and CTS to CT5.

CT5 Blackwing will be a competitor to M5 or at least Cadillac hopes it is.

I understand how this can be confusing......
Old 01-31-21, 05:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Folks I pruned a couple of posts with personal comments. Knock it off or do not post.
Old 01-31-21, 05:49 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This.

Plus as this quote from the article says, there probably won't be many around for BMW or consumers to worry about.
"We don't expect many will be found on dealer lots. With such a limited run, they'll probably all be spoken for long before they roll off the boat in the United States."
you guys think higher take rate on M2CS vs M5CS?

I guess we’ll see. I remember m3cs and M4cs sat around for awhile and were heavily incentivized bc of price. I predict the same for this M5CS, which brings us back to the original argument. 60 some odd M2CSs for sale as well. First used one just popped up for $2k under MSRP on cars.com.

let’s see how many make it to the US.
Old 01-31-21, 05:59 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Why are you having such a difficult time understanding?
I just don’t see the car worth even it’s MSRP, to me there isn’t anything really special enough on that car. If I’m paying that much for a small track car I’ll take a GT-4.

Quick Reply: 2022 bmw m5 cs