Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2022 bmw m5 cs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 03:58 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There is nothing I'm going to state in this post that isn't a restatement of my past posts, so those that do understand my posts can feel free to skip so they don't waste their time.

That said, just a reminder: My original point of contention was a statement that there is "no market" for this car.

Certainly anyone is free to voice an opinion such as "well I wouldn't buy this car" or "this car doesn't make sense to me". I have not once contested this type of opinion, in fact, I have already stated in this thread I wouldn't buy it. That's why it is entirely disingenuous to suggest that I am in any way attempting to dismiss the opinions of others regarding whether they should like the car. I don't even like the car, and I like BMW even less.

But that is an entirely separate issue as to whether there is "no market" for the car. And these types of "I, me, blah blah" opinions do not at all support an argument that there is no market for the car when it's blindingly obvious that the people expressing such opinions (including myself) are not the target market.
Old 02-01-21, 06:15 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
There is nothing I'm going to state in this post that isn't a restatement of my past posts, so those that do understand my posts can feel free to skip so they don't waste their time.

That said, just a reminder: My original point of contention was a statement that there is "no market" for this car.

Certainly anyone is free to voice an opinion such as "well I wouldn't buy this car" or "this car doesn't make sense to me". I have not once contested this type of opinion, in fact, I have already stated in this thread I wouldn't buy it. That's why it is entirely disingenuous to suggest that I am in any way attempting to dismiss the opinions of others regarding whether they should like the car. I don't even like the car, and I like BMW even less.

But that is an entirely separate issue as to whether there is "no market" for the car. And these types of "I, me, blah blah" opinions do not at all support an argument that there is no market for the car when it's blindingly obvious that the people expressing such opinions (including myself) are not the target market.

I’ll keep it short and sweet. When someone writes “there’s no market for this car”, the insinuation inherent in that statement is “I don’t think there is a market for this car”.

that’s the whole point of an automotive forum. That’s why someone may have been thrown off by a comment that seemed to dismiss their opinion so flippantly.

whatever I write is clearly my opinion just like your statements are your opinion. The use of “I think” (or not using “I think”) shouldn’t preclude the opinion that follows.

You’ve arbitrarily decided that it’s “blindingly obvious” that some people who don’t like the car are not the market demographic on a vehicle that isn’t even released yet. Furthermore, you have no idea on production numbers, you don’t know the final OTD cost w/ options, haven’t read journalist reviews, so whatever you are saying is clearly your opinion. Which is totally cool, but it’s not a fact.

Thats “my” point of contention.

Last edited by Tom44; 02-01-21 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 06:27 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

How is there no market for M5?
Its a luxury sport sedan that is a rocket. Its not for me but MANY ppl love it and even more aspire to own one.

Most ppl that get CS are existing M5 owners who will upgrade to get the best version.
Old 02-01-21, 06:51 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Its a luxury sport sedan that is a rocket. Its not for me but MANY ppl love it and even more aspire to own one.

Most ppl that get CS are existing M5 owners who will upgrade to get the best version.
there’s obviously some demand. Context is important, I think other posts covered that. Also there are 177 new m5’s for sale a couple are MY2019.

If a CS sits around at a dealer lot for a year I’d argue there isn’t much demand or less demand than expected. Again all of this is my opinion. I don’t need to throw in a “I think “ in front of every sentence.

my original point is that I don’t know the demand and at a $150k bmw overspeculates the market as they’ve done w/ past models and, I’d bet they’re doing the same with the CS. Some of you disagree, which is totally ****ing fine lol. If they make 25 cars, then it’s a different story. If they make 1000 the metric changes.
Old 02-01-21, 06:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
my original point is that I don’t know the demand and at a $150k bmw overspeculates the market as they’ve done w/ past models and, I’d bet they’re doing the same with the CS. Some of you disagree, which is totally ****ing fine lol. If they make 25 cars, then it’s a different story. If they make 1000 the metric changes.
If it were 7 series...would you think there was some demand at that price point?
Old 02-01-21, 07:06 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If it were 7 series...would you think there was some demand at that price point?
a $150k 7 series doesn’t appeal to many buyers.

(I think) There’s “some demand” but not much.
Old 02-01-21, 07:42 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Comparing 992 to M5 is apples to oranges.

M5 is a sedan that can be used for a family of 4 without compromise, has storage space inside and a huge trunk.

992 doesn’t even have good cupholders let alone transporting kids on a regular basis. Its louder, has no interior storage and small frunk. Getting in and out of it is also not for everyone especially if you plan to daily it.

992 is superior car dynamically but is for a different demographic and/or purpose.
M5cs is for a BMW fan that probably already has a 911 Turbo S for weekends and this would the daily sport sedan.
I'm actually cross-shopping the M5 and the 992 right now, so, respectfully, you have no idea what you're talking about. My point is that at $150k, I'm no longer considering a BMW.
Old 02-01-21, 07:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

there’s obviously some demand. Context is important, I think other posts covered that. Also there are 177 new m5’s for sale a couple are MY2019.

If a CS sits around at a dealer lot for a year I’d argue there isn’t much demand or less demand than expected. Again all of this is my opinion. I don’t need to throw in a “I think “ in front of every sentence.

How is 177 M5s a lot when you consider there are over 300 BMW dealers in US?
There are 150 X5Ms available as well.

The reason M3cs and M4cs didn’t sell initially was because the price was significantly higher than M3/4comp and no manual was available. They were DCT cars which really went against the diehard owners CS model was targeting. The dealers didn’t want to budge on price at first also. BMW learned their lesson - M2cs and now M5cs are better efforts therefore should sell without issues.
Old 02-01-21, 09:14 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I’ll keep it short and sweet. When someone writes “there’s no market for this car”, the insinuation inherent in that statement is “I don’t think there is a market for this car”.

that’s the whole point of an automotive forum. That’s why someone may have been thrown off by a comment that seemed to dismiss their opinion so flippantly.

whatever I write is clearly my opinion just like your statements are your opinion. The use of “I think” (or not using “I think”) shouldn’t preclude the opinion that follows.

You’ve arbitrarily decided that it’s “blindingly obvious” that some people who don’t like the car are not the market demographic on a vehicle that isn’t even released yet. Furthermore, you have no idea on production numbers, you don’t know the final OTD cost w/ options, haven’t read journalist reviews, so whatever you are saying is clearly your opinion. Which is totally cool, but it’s not a fact.

Thats “my” point of contention.
Your opinion was also that there would be no market for a GS-F Track Edition, despite that buyers paid over MSRP for the RC-F Track Edition. That's why your opinion can be dismissed so easily - again, because all the "I's" and "me's" don't matter when they aren't the target market for the car.

I fully accept I may be wrong about the M5 CS, but your opinion on the M5 CS can be factually invalidated purely by one person buying it at MSRP. Feel free to wait and see.
Old 02-01-21, 09:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

I’m one of those people. When my lease is up on my current BMW or I end my lease early I am looking at the M5 for the reasons you state. I want a 4 door that can haul my family around comfortably and also have fun when I want to. I was going to look at the new M3 but I can’t get over it’s big grille and ugly hood and good lord are we ever going to see an actual driving review of this car? I feel the M5 is more luxurious which is nice and what I want but the issue I have is it’s so plain looking and doesn’t set itself apart from the other 5 series enough. With the old M3 you could easily tell the difference from the regular 3 series, with the M5, not so much.

Last edited by patgilm; 02-02-21 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 04:45 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gengar
Your opinion was also that there would be no market for a GS-F Track Edition, despite that buyers paid over MSRP for the RC-F Track Edition. That's why your opinion can be dismissed so easily - again, because all the "I's" and "me's" don't matter when they aren't the target market for the car.

I fully accept I may be wrong about the M5 CS, but your opinion on the M5 CS can be factually invalidated purely by one person buying it at MSRP. Feel free to wait and see.
I don’t know why you’re taking things so literally. One car selling isn’t a “market demand”. In a later post I further contextualized my statement about taking bmw fan boys who can afford this car out of the equation and tying in price with the badge and potential demand.

You’re saying that unless zero m5CSs sell, my argument is “factually invalidated”. This is the same logic as dismissing other member opinions bc of phrasing (lack of “I”, “me”, etc). You’re missing the forest for the trees.

in regards to me bringing up the GSF track edition, a nonexistent car, with a hypothetical $130k price tag was to reiterate that at that price point people would not be clamoring to buy the car. Yes some might sell, but it would sit around on dealer lots just like the regular GSFs did. I know bc I bought two of them, one for 20% off MSRP (and I love the GSF). I was able to get that price because at a $85k to 90k MSRP for a GSF, there isn’t much demand. Yes, some guys bought it at MSRP, but clearly there wasn’t much of a dent made in sales until dealers started heavily discounting the car, at which point there was a demand for the car. Even the 2020 GSF, which was a low volume car, didn’t start moving off dealer lots until they got down into the $70’s.

I didn’t say anything about paying over MSRP for the RCF track, another member brought that car up, I tried to contextualize why someone would pay that much for it. If the GSF was $65k, would there be a greater market demand, absolutely. If this m5CS was $100k would there be a greater market demand, absolutely. Don’t take these numbers literally, I know a M5CS won’t be $100k, I threw them out there to reiterate that price dictates demand for a car, especially when we don’t know production numbers. I’ll also reiterate that if they make 25 cars the demand will be different than a production number of 1000 cars. What is the point of contention here?? I don’t understand how BMW selling one (or even a handful of M5CSs at $150k) grenades my entire opinion.

To further my point, I can spend a $150k on a car, I am looking for a car to buy, I like fast sedans, and I currently own an m2comp (so I don’t hate BMW). So why am I not the target buyer for an m5cs? Bc you’ve deemed it so based off of me not ejaculating all over the place over a few pics, a spec sheet, and a tentative price?

everything I’ve said above is my opinion, and I won’t try to pass off my opinion as fact.

Last edited by Tom44; 02-02-21 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 07:04 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’m one of those people. When my lease is up on my current BMW or I end my lease early I am looking at the M5 for the reasons you state. I want a 4 door that can haul my family around comfortably and also have fun when I want to. I was going to look at the new M3 but I can’t get over it’s big grille and ugly hood and good lord are we ever going to see an actual driving review of this car? I feel the M5 is more luxurious which is nice and what I want but the issue I have is it’s so plain looking and doesn’t set itself apart from the other 5 series enough. With the old M3 you could easily tell the difference from the regular 3 series, with the M5, not so much.
do you care about price or are you getting an m5 no matter what ?