Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
Steve, happy your enjoying the ride as you are, I knew you would appreciate the German engineering.
the only caveat to It all is about 1 of every 1000 ls460 owners would spend 120,000 dollars on the S560 or spend 1400 per month prior to insurance and gas.
you get what you pay for and your ride is excellent
A new LS is not much cheaper than an S Class. My LS payment was $1,200 a month. You can lease an S Class for $50-100 more a month than an LS500, maybe even less if its a lower optioned S450. If you're buying used, S Class prices and LS prices are not very different.

Remember a new LS500 nicely optioned is a $90-95k car. Fully loaded they are $110k. S450s start at $89k and $110k buys you a modest S560.

Originally Posted by slds
But thats because they know you’re .. ahem.. well, how do I say this? You’re the kind of man who can buy the whole dealership.
I'm flattered, but I promise you thats not true lol. PLENTY of customers at MB with way more money than I have.
Old 02-03-21, 07:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The car is on another level, the ride is just that little bit more polished, and its a very logical upgrade from an LS460. So far, I don't miss Lexus at all.
It will be interesting to see after a couple years if you still feel this way. Short term satisfaction isn’t too hard to come by compared to long term.

As a lifelong Toyota/Lexus fanboy and now not having one for almost two years, I personally don’t see me coming back until they come out with something more exciting to me.
Old 02-03-21, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
It will be interesting to see after a couple years if you still feel this way. Short term satisfaction isn’t too hard to come by compared to long term.

As a lifelong Toyota/Lexus fanboy and now not having one for almost two years, I personally don’t see me coming back until they come out with something more exciting to me.
Unless the car winds up having a bunch of problems I don’t see why I wouldn’t feel the same way long term. I like Lexus, and I would be happy to come back to Lexus but only for the right product.

For instance, with all the SUVs and Minivans I’ve had from different manufacturers I feel no drive to purchase a Toyota or Lexus SUV or Minivan because they don’t have anything that I like vs the competition. I WOULD do that happily for the right product, but I don’t feel the need to compromise on what I want out of a vehicle to have something within the brand.
Old 02-03-21, 08:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Back in 2015, I almost purchased another Mercedes in the C300 for the wife.
Today when I look back, the 2015 C300 scores 77% on JD Power Quality Survey; meanwhile the IS scores 82%.
I drove the C Class back then, and it was a superb alrounder - great styling, space, 2.0 turbo, handling, ride and equipment - but I just didn't want to risk purchasing another Mercedes lemon.
The IS doesn't look as elegant, its 2.0 turbo is very laggy/peaky, the ride is a bit too firm, and the vehicle cruises with more noise than C Class.

However, the 2015 S Class scores 82% on JD Power Reliability, while a 2015 LS scores only 81%.
Hence, with full size S Class - Benz may have closed the gap - or at least initially.
However, if one is intending to buy outright and keep 10 years etc, then the LS will probably outdo the S Class for long term reliability.
Old 02-03-21, 08:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah to buy and keep for 10 years I would definitely give the edge to the LS.
Old 02-04-21, 04:54 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

Yeah to buy and keep for 10 years I would definitely give the edge to the LS.
think your drinking the kool aid a little to much,
Edge????
your expenses on the S class will cost you 4 x what an LS will be over 10 years.
go to a used car lot and a 2017 S class is degrading in fit, finish, mechanical issues compared to the same LS...

the other day you compared costs of ownership with dealer / service costs.... time will tell, the S class will be 3 x times to service than an LS.... excluding oil changes
Old 02-04-21, 06:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Edge????
your expenses on the S class will cost you 4 x what an LS will be over 10 years.
s
This is how brands get you....people have known for years that German cars have crappy reliability and quality issues once outside of warranty. The brands know this and bake it into the design....

pay $1200 a month for nice car for a 30 year working career....$432,000...that’s 10 new cars if you lease ever 3 years.....eye-popping stuff
Old 02-04-21, 06:49 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is how brands get you....people have known for years that German cars have crappy reliability and quality issues once outside of warranty. The brands know this and bake it into the design....

pay $1200 a month for nice car for a 30 year working career....$432,000...that’s 10 new cars if you lease ever 3 years.....eye-popping stuff
totally agree Jill, the honeymoon gets old quick after the 36 month anniversary... especially comparing maintenance and cost of ownership of the S class and Ls is not even plausible... time will tell, including the time spending over three years running to the dealer for the typical German issues. Will be twice the visits as the LS.

I experience this with my wife's 5 series, and at the same time there is a reward of engineering that still makes some of it worthwhile... my pain is had for 400 / month bought after lease for a 535, not 1400/month.. There comes a point that the $ for the reward diminishes

Last edited by mikesrx350; 02-04-21 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Edge????
go to a used car lot and a 2017 S class is degrading in fit, finish, mechanical issues compared to the same LS...

the other day you compared costs of ownership with dealer / service costs.... time will tell, the S class will be 3 x times to service than an LS.... excluding oil changes
I'm not drinking any Kool Aid, I'm probably one of the most objective people on this board. Having spent time around the forums and knowing people who have older S Classes (over 100k miles) I really don't think that reputation is all that justified. I know 3 people who have S Classes with over 100k miles and none of them have done any sort of expensive repairs that would not also be an issue on an LS460. Their cars are also in very solid shape and have aged quite well, and the used ones I've seen have also aged quite well.

I highly doubt my expenses to maintain my S Class over a 3 year lease will be 4 times what it was to maintain my LS. Like I said though, to keep it 10 years I would absolutely assume the LS would be cheaper. I just don't know that it will be that much cheaper than I assumed it would be before I learned more about the S Class.

And the other big point, I cant buy a new LS460 at this point and I only buy new. The LS500 doesnt appeal to me so this was a move I had no choice but to make.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thats the point though, when you become more experienced with German brands you realize that this is not as dramatic as Lexus fans make it out to be.

And? To me, I got to drive 10 awesome cars in those 30 years. My annual credit card bills are well over $150,000 a year. Its all relative, to people who buy these cars $1,200 a month, $1,400 a month is not a huge amount of money, and the difference between $1,200 a month and $1,400 a month is nothing. Thats why I said the S Class is not that much more expensive when you really drill it down.

totally agree Jill, the honeymoon gets old quick after the 36 month anniversary... especially comparing maintenance and cost of ownership of the S class and Ls is not even plausible... time will tell, including the time spending over three years running to the dealer for the typical German issues. Will be twice the visits as the LS.
Thats the point, I didnt even have my LS460s for 36 months. So for me, the "better reliability" after 36 months has no benefit. Spend some time on the W222 forums on MBWorld, there aren't any more issues discussed than are discussed on the LS460 forums. Both my LS460s had significant warranty repairs within the first 36 months, my 15 spent two weeks at the dealer trying to figure out a infotainment issue, my 17 had the brake actuator go bad at less than 20k miles. Even if I have to take it to the dealer once or twice a year to fix something, thats no big deal to me to drive a better car.

And also, look at the LS500 forums. There are more "German like" repairs than we are accustomed to on the LS460 forums. Thats what I'm comparing it to, because the LS460 is no more.

I experience this with my wife's 5 series, and at the same time there is a reward of engineering that still makes some of it worthwhile... my pain is had for 400 / month bought after lease for a 535, not 1400/month.. There comes a point that the $ for the reward diminishes
But you're driving a second hand 535 and I'm driving a new S560 lol. Not apples and apples. The reward may diminish for you, but I'm perfectly happy spending what I'm spending.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-04-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 08:26 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

My final thoughts... drive what makes you happy. That's all that really matters. I'm a long time Toyota/Lexus owner, that's what makes me happy damnit!

This has been a great thread, I've tried but I can't stop reading it. Thank you everyone for all your perspectives
Old 02-04-21, 08:47 AM
md2009
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is that it looks just like an ES take a quick look and you can't tell them apart
Old 02-04-21, 09:46 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Its starting to feel like this is becoming a conversation of a Mercedes purchase on a Lexus forum to validate a purchase...
enjoy it and whatever happiness you desire out of the purchase wish you well with it.
Old 02-04-21, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its starting to feel like this is becoming a conversation of a Mercedes purchase on a Lexus forum to validate a purchase...
enjoy it and whatever happiness you desire out of the purchase wish you well with it.
Not at all, I simply responded to a member who was considering moving from an LS to an S Class but had specific concerns that my experience showed me those concerns were unfounded. You’re the one trying to invalidate my decision, not the other way around.

If you think I have any need to validate choices I make you don’t know me very well lol.

Lexus and Toyota are not the only carmakers that make good cars. Life exists after Lexus. This is the car chat forum and many members here have cars other than Lexus cars.
Old 02-04-21, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Life exists after Lexus.
There always will be life after outside of Lexus

s
Mercedes or BMW has to make you upgrade some way...
Old 02-09-21, 04:43 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

That would be "The relentless pursuit of perfection" lol. But point taken.

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460