Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Having had the 400, 430 and 460 there are definitely build quality reductions in each generation, I had some creaks and rattles I dealt with (nothing major) where those were never an issue in the 430 or 400 even with way more age and mileage.

We’ll see how it ages, but new my S Class build feels more solid, more like the 400 did while some of the fit and finish isn’t as good as it was in the 460s.
Old 01-27-21, 09:53 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Having had the 400, 430 and 460 there are definitely build quality reductions in each generation, I had some creaks and rattles I dealt with (nothing major) where those were never an issue in the 430 or 400 even with way more age and mileage.

We’ll see how it ages, but new my S Class build feels more solid, more like the 400 did while some of the fit and finish isn’t as good as it was in the 460s.
I have both 2IS and 3GS, plus 3IS and 4GS, and I can say that in both cases, the GS "flexes" more than the IS on the same platform - but wheelbases keep getting longer and longer...
Old 01-28-21, 02:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Blinded Test on Ride Quality Exposes the Lie of poor LS500 Ride Quality

Double blinded Test on Ride Quality of new LS500 vs previous generation LS460 puts the lie that the LS500 has worse ride quality to LS460.

These guys have no hidden agenda and conducted what was a very fair test which excluded preconceptions and tester bias. Seems like some people's hate boner for the LS500 is not allowing them to be objective. See 16:40 of this recent video comparo :

Last edited by natnut; 01-28-21 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 03:00 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Ride quality and feel is subjective and varies by person. I certainly would not call anyone a liar. That is just uncalled for.
Old 01-28-21, 03:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Double blinded Test on Ride Quality of new LS500 vs previous generation LS460 puts the lie that SW17LS keeps parroting, that LS500 has worse ride quality to LS460.

These guys have no hidden agenda and conducted what was a very fair test which excluded preconceptions and tester bias. Seems like SW17LS hate boner for the LS500 is not allowing him to be objective. See 16:40 of this recent video comparo :

https://youtu.be/7PewewY2pfI
I didn’t watch the video until I read this post. I skipped to the part and wow, blind test indicates the LS500 rides better

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-28-21 at 03:53 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 04:21 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Ride quality and feel is subjective and varies by person. I certainly would not call anyone a liar. That is just uncalled for.
Never called him a liar. I just stated what is my opinion of his opinion : that he is repeating what is most probably a falsehood going by this very objective video evidence.
Old 01-28-21, 04:23 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I didn’t watch the video until I read this post. I skipped to the part and wow, blind test indicates the LS500 rides better
Amazing what blinded tests can do to sieve out the truth from conjecture.
Old 01-28-21, 04:24 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Double blinded Test on Ride Quality of new LS500 vs previous generation LS460 puts the lie that SW17LS keeps parroting, that LS500 has worse ride quality to LS460.

These guys have no hidden agenda and conducted what was a very fair test which excluded preconceptions and tester bias. Seems like SW17LS hate boner for the LS500 is not allowing him to be objective. See 16:40 of this recent video comparo
You are aware that this is the refresh with changes to the chassis tuning to make the suspension more plush, right? The complaints about the pre-refresh LS500's brittle ride quality have been echoed for years not just by members of this board, but also other reviewers like Savagegeese. It's a well-known problem that Lexus has addressed with this refresh.

Never called him a liar. I just stated what is my opinion of his opinion : that he is repeating what is most probably a falsehood going by this very objective video evidence.
If you call someone's opinion a lie, you're calling them a liar. That aside, a video of two guys giving their basic remarks is no more "objective" than any one's opinion on this board. For it to be objective, it would have to be measurable on a universal standard. Otherwise, it is merely subjective.

Last edited by Motorola; 01-28-21 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 05:22 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

this is a nice conversation between older technology and legacy premium technology of ten years ago.

I consider myself most particular with my cars and some points that come to mind:

1) to get a really good example of an Ls 460 in the US, you won't find a good mileage well taken care of car for 10k, the used market is up and prime examples are still getting 13-15k for a pre 2013
2) One of the main issues that has been addressed in the newer post 2013 and the Ls55 is the strucutural ridgity. My wife's 5 series a 2013 has much less flex and left to right movements due to ridgity in the platform.. they use the 7 underpinnings in that year. Lexus has always had this issue and is one of the reasons the later ls460 feel better more composed. As an example Steve's new S550 is light years ahead with this and one of the reasons someone that is particular will appreciate it
3) I paid 17 k for my LS 2010 in 2019 with 66k on it. for this kind of money or 10-15 k today for these cars, they are awesome values for those that need safe, v8 fun, luxury to cruise in. for the price of a Toyota Corolla and a good mechanic to visit yearly the value here is huge, especially with road presence and protection of family with the size of vehicle.
4) the v8 vs ttv6 conversation can go on for years, it really feels lexus has ostracized the customer base and made a lot of legacy owners upset.. I love the v8 , I have a lot of fun with my cars 0-6- in 5.4 for a 5000 pound car, its fun and playful. When having fun the v8 gas mileage is ridiculous, I baby mine 80 percent of the time and its hard to average 20mpg over time with city driving 40 percent of time.
5) The saddest part is that years ago the lexus dealers treated the LS customer different and gave more appreciation for that customer.. this has diminished the dealers in the US are a glorified Toyota dealer with very little care for the details and respect for customers vehicles, which leads me to the last point that I have shared for 2 years

The passion and the happiness in the Ls500 is almost zero, read the ls500 threads they lost all emotion and love that we all have for the previous Ls's , this a a true tell tale sign
For a car that was in development for over 10 years it is a complete failure and slap in the face of the customers that made the brand what it is today.
shame on Lexus and Toyota for the design flaws and the stubbornness to be 10 years to this day behind the germans in infotainment in the new age of vehicle ownership
Let's see the ostracized the customer to go after the younger more spirited driver with the Ls500,
and everyone that utilizes technology, settings, infotainment in the car after 10 years of developing the platform dislikes it and calls it a failure

Brilliant job Lexus, instead of going after customers that are younger and more spirited in replacing the Ls with this car,
maybe get rid of the legacy employees that got away from the True "pursuit of perfection"
you now "pursue nothing"
Old 01-28-21, 05:34 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Motorola
You are aware that this is the refresh with changes to the chassis tuning to make the suspension more plush, right? The complaints about the pre-refresh LS500's brittle ride quality have been echoed for years not just by members of this board, but also other reviewers like Savagegeese. It's a well-known problem that Lexus has addressed with this refresh.
That is a valid point. Also, I have amended my original post to not pinpoint any single poster.

Last edited by natnut; 01-28-21 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 05:50 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350

The passion and the happiness in the Ls500 is almost zero, read the ls500 threads they lost all emotion and love that we all have for the previous Ls's , this a a true tell tale sign
THIS!! I remember how ecstatic I was with my 10 LS (in 2015), I told everyone and had great conversations in the forums sharing blissful driving experiences. Very little of that is shared on the LS500 forums today which is a telltale sign indeed. There aren't many "I'm so glad I got this" sentiments with the LS500 it seems.
Old 01-28-21, 06:35 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still laugh everytime I see the heated seat controls on the new LS. You have to push a button that doesn't turn on the heater but takes you to a menu on the screen to turn on the heater. The UX team is at least 10yrs behind the Germans and maybe 20yrs behind Tesla.
Old 01-28-21, 06:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
I still laugh everytime I see the heated seat controls on the new LS. You have to push a button that doesn't turn on the heater but takes you to a menu on the screen to turn on the heater.
Have to say it’s one of the worst designs EVER!
Old 01-28-21, 08:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

about LS460 rear seat space, as we all know they had two versions short and long wheelbase versions (LS460 and LS460L). the LS460L was definitely a room back seat space. the LS460 may well have had less room than an ES350, partly because more luxurious and adjustable seats are just bigger/thicker. unless one specifically wanted the shorter wheelbase, the LS460L always seemed to me to be the one to get but it was good that lexus offered options. the LS500 on the other hand, is one size, with decidedly cramped rear seats and front seats that feel 'snug' / cockpitlike at least which isn't anything like the prior LS's. if anything the LS500 has more in common with a Porsche Panamera and Audi A7 at this point that the big audi/mercedes/bmw luxo sedans.

the materials and fit and finish in the LS500 are excellent and to me, nicer / more creative than any LS before. but the LS has always been known as a comfortable roomy, and very smooth riding sedan. with '21 changes it may be smoother than before, but it's not roomy. it will continue to struggle in the market until a new approach is made. i doubt that they will cancel it.

about what the LS500 compares to... let's not forget the elephant in the room... the T model S. it's just been refreshed big time inside, it has air suspension, it's very very quiet, and VERY VERY roomy. AND it's about the same price.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-28-21 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 08:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
I still laugh everytime I see the heated seat controls on the new LS. You have to push a button that doesn't turn on the heater but takes you to a menu on the screen to turn on the heater. The UX team is at least 10yrs behind the Germans and maybe 20yrs behind Tesla.
It's baffling. They are making using a car more annoying, difficult, and unsafe all for being "trendy" and more realistically cost cutting. I think new BMW's have something similar where you press the button and then go to a screen menu to decide if you want cooling or heat just to eliminate separate buttons, why, how is that better unless you just hate physical buttons for some reason?

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460