Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
details or conjecture?
As four cylinder turbo hybrid CUV with the meanest spindle grille you’ve ever seen?
I just don't see Lexus dropping it
Old 01-28-21, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I just don't see Lexus dropping it
If the entire sedan segment continues to shrink. It’s likely gonna happen. Toyota can obviously absorb a slow or ultra low volume model for a higher price, but will they.
Old 01-28-21, 06:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

They're not going to drop the LS, they'll come back stronger the next generation
Originally Posted by sdls
details or conjecture?
In general, I agree with Steve that dumping the LS is not likely. But it is also a long-established fact that, at Lexus, the Bread-and-Butter (and the sales-income that keeps them in business) is in the ES and RX....perhaps, to some extent, now, the NX and UX, as small crossovers have become more popular. But, as Steve pointed out, Lexus designers will have to learn from what happened to this generation of LS, and, in the future, avoid the cost-cutting and sport-orientation that affected sales so much with this one.
Old 01-28-21, 06:50 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

We have to remember that Toyota killed off the Crown sedan- a car that has a longer history and holds more prestige to their brand than the LS does. Nothing is off the table. I wouldn't be surprised if the LS does get the axe in favor of a big flagship (probably FWD) crossover, perhaps that rumored 3-row TX.
Old 01-28-21, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

The Crown doesnt define Toyota the way the LS defines Lexus though.
Old 01-28-21, 07:05 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

the Land Cruiser defined Toyota and it’s gone now
Old 01-28-21, 07:15 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

If anything, the LS is in a worse position than the Crown. The Crown has decades of prestige and a massive base in the Japanese in Chinese markets, where even that wasn't enough to save it. The LS is so squarely aimed at the U.S. market, that now that it can't churn out the necessary volume here, there's no other markets that would buy it in sufficient quantities to keep it alive. Even if the LS nameplate survives, it's questionable if it would still even be a sedan, or go the route of the new crossover Crown.
Old 01-28-21, 07:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think 99.9997% of the population have no idea what a Toyota Crown is.
Old 01-28-21, 07:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think 99.9997% of the population have no idea what a Toyota Crown is.

In the U.S., you're probably right, although I don't think it's quite that close to 100%. For many years, I didn't know what it was. The Toyota sedan here was, first, the Cressida, and then the Avalon.
Old 01-28-21, 07:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I agree with Steve & Mike Marshall.
TMC could drop the LS line, but that is unlikely.

The first half of the last decade saw a new incoming President Akio with a new direction - which Jill has said many times that she loves.

However the second half of the last decade saw an "back-flip" to that new direction - a back-flip that included softening the suspension & bringing back more sound insulation than ever in the latest Camries, Corollas, RAV4's and even the midlife refreshed 2016 4.5GS & 2021 5.5LS etc.

The back-flip means that TMC has learnt its lesson as Steve has attested above.
The back-flip also means that TMC realizes that their previously new direction with firm ride and loud sporty noise that Jill liked so much but consumers did not purchase in large numbers - was wrong - hence the back-flip.

The GS line has been axed - but if reliable leaker Japanese Mag-X is right, then GS is only temporarily discontinued for a rebadged Mazda midsize sedan with 3.0 in-line 6 & RWD - while TMC focuses on very expensive electrification.

Meanwhile the IS line gets a heavily facelifted reskinned 3.5IS which Japanese Mag-X claims will be replaced directly by e-TNGA.

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-28-21 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-28-21, 08:51 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

I can’t help but think Lexus focused more on the Asian (China) market with the New LS as they removed all appeal of a luxury sedan by downsizing the interior space of the car. The IS has more room for the driver and the LS.

it sure doesn’t appeal to we big North Americans in It’s current state and never will. Bring back the space Lexus.

Fancy Oragami door panels with sculpted glass do not make up for lack of space/comfort.

great review

Old 01-28-21, 09:00 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Mag-X is wish fulfillment nonsense as a news rag and has zero credibility whatsoever. Their predictions can go right in the trash alongside their claims of a V8 LS-F and expanded F lineup.

Toyota has set the precedent for the future of their lineup with the introduction of Direct-4 and the expanded usage of TNGA-K to replace RWD, with the intent to convert their entire lineup into hybrid crossovers. This is the future of Lexus as well.

Last edited by Motorola; 01-28-21 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-28-21, 09:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by winterturb
I can’t help but think Lexus focused more on the Asian (China) market with the New LS as they removed all appeal of a luxury sedan by downsizing the interior space of the car.
Nope, the Chinese market heavily favors vehicles with large and spacious backseats, especially in the LS's segment where almost everyone who buys it has a chauffeur. They also favor low displacement turbo 4 cylinders as to not get slapped with insane federal emissions taxes. That's why most Chinese go for the ES over the LS- not much different than America.
Old 01-28-21, 09:19 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Nope, the Chinese market heavily favors vehicles with large and spacious backseats, especially in the LS's segment where almost everyone who buys it has a chauffeur. They also favor low displacement turbo 4 cylinders as to not get slapped with insane federal emissions taxes. That's why most Chinese go for the ES over the LS- not much different than America.
Well there goes my theory.

I was trying to rationalize such a boneheaded move

guess there is no rational reason for completely decimating the appeal of the car

Old 01-29-21, 04:46 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

best next steps is kind of funny and why the ls500 failed

I have written numerous times about the 10 year development, I think they were trying to get the hydrogen car or electric for the Ls redesign and fell short in engineering and it got axed.
plan b was the TT v6

most probable is next steps is the car that should have gotten released in hydrogen tech, or most probable the rumored solid state battery technology in the EV,
the LS will live and evolve in my humble opinion

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460