Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 06:17 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
Well there goes my theory.

I was trying to rationalize such a boneheaded move

guess there is no rational reason for completely decimating the appeal of the car
Toyota lost their way when accountants started making engineering decisions.
Old 01-29-21, 06:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
Well there goes my theory.

ar
I see nothing wrong with your theory. Japanese cars have all gotten smaller inside. Corolla, Avalon, Mazda have all shrunk. There are a few exceptions where the size was maintained. I even think the new Bentley sedan has a smaller roofline as well. People are smaller outside North America....I believe a large crossover that fits in between the LS and LX will be the vehicle most will buy...so making the LS more sleek provides a better image for Lexus.

I will be interesting to see how the new G80 performs....size ways it looks bulkier and seems larger than the predecessor....which is kinda of against the trend

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-29-21 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I see nothing wrong with your theory. Japanese cars have all gotten smaller inside. Corolla, Avalon, Mazda have all shrunk.
Shrunken room inside (particularly with headroom) is not simply a Japanese trait.....Much if it came about because most, though not all, of the the manufacturers are trying to make sedans (at least the sedans they have left) look like coupes.
Old 01-29-21, 07:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Shrunken room inside (particularly with headroom) is not simply a Japanese trait.....Much if it came about because most, though not all, of the the manufacturers are trying to make sedans (at least the sedans they have left) look like coupes.
Well, I only say Japanese sedans as they seem to be the models that have shrunk. But yes, you are correct in that coupe like style is part of the effort.
Old 01-29-21, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I use CarPlay all the time as I did in my LS. In fact I have never used the Mercedes navigation, phone etc
That right there is your first mistake. I expect the mercedes nav at least is excellent.

Ive owned 7 Lexus vehicles going back 22 years, I have never had a problem with Enform. If people hated it so much you would see that in loss of sales and customer satisfaction, and you dont.
When the typical lexus buyer is 60 and is ok playing fm or sirius/xm radio and taking/making phonecalls on the way to local stores, it's not an issue.

My new 21 4R, there is too much stuff on the touchscreen...it’s like a solution to problem that I never had before. I would despise to have any joy stick.
I rest my case.

Having had cars with both, I much prefer a joystick to a touchscreen. I think the best approach is to have both.
my genesis round controller is EXCELLENT - i don't miss not having a touch screen. Since my '18 of course they've now added touch as well as the controller.

The Crown doesnt define Toyota the way the LS defines Lexus though.
Imo the LS no longer defines Lexus. It's the RX and ES.
Old 01-29-21, 11:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That right there is your first mistake. I expect the mercedes nav at least is excellent.
Aint gonna be better than Google Maps or Waze lol

When the typical lexus buyer is 60 and is ok playing fm or sirius/xm radio and taking/making phonecalls on the way to local stores, it's not an issue.
I'm 39!

Old 01-29-21, 11:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I rest my case.
The worst thing Lexus has ever done was remove the air conditioning button Having to use the remote touch thing to turn on and off the AC is absurd.
Old 01-29-21, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The worst thing Lexus has ever done was remove the air conditioning button Having to use the remote touch thing to turn on and off the AC is absurd.
Oh geez lol
Old 01-29-21, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, that wasn't confined to Lexus. My Lacrosse required screen-access not only to turn on/off or adjust the A/C, but also to adjust the level of air blowing out the vents. The Encore GX solves several of those issues by having all of the climate functions in traditional buttons/*****, although, if desired, you can do some of it through the screen.
Old 01-29-21, 11:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Oh geez lol
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that wasn't confined to Lexus. My Lacrosse required screen-access not only to turn on/off or adjust the A/C, but also to adjust the level of air blowing out the vents. The Encore GX solves several of those issues by having all of the climate functions in traditional buttons/*****, although, if desired, you can do some of it through the screen.
It is just so dumb....its a simply button that some want to use for ON/OFF purposes. Even more dumb to put the air level buttons in menus on screen
Old 01-29-21, 11:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

With modern automatic climate systems the button is just not neccessary
Old 01-29-21, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree with Jill.....for my purposes, it is not necessarily 100% a must, but a great convenience to have it in the buttons. I prefer to personally adjust a number of things manually, as I have not been impressed with the way some automatic systems work...particularly in keeping the glass from fogging up.
Old 01-29-21, 11:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Automatic climate control is not modern....its been around 40 years at least...maybe 50 and some don't want to use the auto all the time.
Old 01-29-21, 11:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Aint gonna be better than Google Maps or Waze lol
while the car one won't have the social warnings/comments it may well have much better graphics, plus mbux does augmented reality i believe, and certainly the new genesis gv80 does which google maps / waze can't do.

I'm 39!
So you got your first lexus when you were 17? privilege much?
And they certainly didn't have enform back then.

i still can't believe i can do remote start but that it turns the car off when i open the door. That is flat out stupid.
Old 01-29-21, 11:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

LOL...this thread...

It covers all of the nags and complaints on the LS500 that people have been repeating on here for the past couple of years. It hits on the favorites like Enform and remote touch. Again discusses if the LS will be dropped. Brings back the debate about the AC button and the use of AUTO climate control. Controller versus touchscreen. And on and on it goes.

It's like all of the most dead horse CL topics in one!

Quick Reply: 2021 LS500 vs 2009 LS460