Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota overtakes Volkswagen as world's biggest automaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 06:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Toyota overtakes Volkswagen as world's biggest automaker

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/busin...hnk/index.html

Toyota overtakes Volkswagen as world's biggest automaker

By Michelle Toh, CNN Business

Updated 8:34 AM ET, Thu January 28, 2021
Hong Kong (CNN Business)Toyota is back on top.

The Japanese company has reclaimed its place as the world's best-selling automaker, with its latest results showing an edge over Volkswagen Group (VLKAF).

Toyota (
TM) sold 9.5 million vehicles around the world in 2020, according to figures released on Thursday that include its Daihatsu and Hino lineups. That's compared with the 9.3 million units delivered last year by Volkswagen, which owns brands including Audi, Skoda and Porsche.

Big carmakers have tussled over the global crown for years. In 2013, Toyota
became top dog as it overtook General Motors (GM) in sales. Two years later, Volkswagen gained on the Japanese company, though the top of the rankings remained unchanged.In 2017, the German firm officially unseated Toyota.

Volkswagen made $12 billion in 2020 despite the pandemic

While the rebound is good news for Toyota, it doesn't mean the company is out of the woods. Over the past year, the coronavirus pandemic wiped out sales and disrupted supply chains across the auto industry.
Toyota deliveries dropped 11.3% in 2020 compared to the previous year, while Volkswagen suffered a 15.2% slide.

Now, carmakers are facing
a critical shortage of semiconductors that threatens to hamstring production.

According to UBS analysts, Volkswagen could lose out on production of 100,000 units in the 1st 3 months of the year, or roughly 4% of global quarterly output, as a result of the components shortages.

The biggest carmakers are still making money, though.

Volkswagen said last week that profits for 2020 topped $12 billion, pointing to a recovery in the 2nd half of the year.

The company also pointed to a slight uptick in its share of the global passenger market, as well as a huge jump in purchases of electric cars and hybrids.
Toyota has not yet released its full-year financial results for 2020.

— Hanna Ziady contributed to this report.
Old 01-28-21, 12:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Toyota knows what they are doing....its all hybrids that is contributing to their pandemic era success.
Old 01-28-21, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota knows what they are doing....its all hybrids that is contributing to their pandemic era success.
How do hybrids contribute to specifically pandemic era success?
Old 01-28-21, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The hybrids are where the growth is for Toyota.
Old 01-28-21, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

With all due credit (and appreciation) to the OP, 'm not sure this is even news any more. Toyota and VW have been playing flip-flip over who is (technically) the world's largest automaker now for a number of years.
Old 01-28-21, 05:00 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember when Toyota was #1 in 2007/08, their response was "Who Cares"...publicly, they don't care of course. But internally in Aichi, that's where they gloat.
Old 01-28-21, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
I remember when Toyota was #1 in 2007/08,
Back then, even though they had lost a lot of market share from the 60s/70s, GM, from sheer size, was also (still) a factor, until they lost four divisions, and later sold off both Opel and Holden.
Old 01-28-21, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The hybrids are where the growth is for Toyota.
I don't disagree, I just don't see how the pandemic benefits hybrids or how hybrids are especially desirable because of the pandemic.
Old 01-28-21, 06:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't disagree, I just don't see how the pandemic benefits hybrids or how hybrids are especially desirable because of the pandemic.
When times get tougher...buyers shift to more safer bets. Toyota hybrids are up 23% in 2020 and now sell more hybrids than some entire brand lineups. The shift to more fuel efficient hybrids makes for a very desirable offering. Toyota is not as successful with their hybrid Lexus models as they are the Toyota brand

A RAV4 is already a very fuel efficient model within the segment...add in the hybrid and the two offerings are quite compelling. Same with Corolla...HL, and Camry.
Old 01-28-21, 06:35 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

folks are driving less and gas prices (were) down... a car payment is quite unattractive at this point
Old 01-28-21, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When times get tougher...buyers shift to more safer bets. Toyota hybrids are up 23% in 2020 and now sell more hybrids than some entire brand lineups. The shift to more fuel efficient hybrids makes for a very desirable offering. Toyota is not as successful with their hybrid Lexus models as they are the Toyota brand

A RAV4 is already a very fuel efficient model within the segment...add in the hybrid and the two offerings are quite compelling. Same with Corolla...HL, and Camry.
I just don't see how the pandemic specifically benefits hybrid sales.
Old 01-28-21, 06:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdls
folks are driving less and gas prices (were) down... a car payment is quite unattractive at this point
Exactly....that doesnt telegraph to me that specifically hybrids would benefit from that scenario.

I don't think Toyota's success with hybrids has anything to do with the pandemic.
Old 01-28-21, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't see how the pandemic specifically benefits hybrid sales.

I'm guessing that it's fewer potential trips to the gas station...some people probably don't want to handle the gas-nozzles, for fear of the virus. I keep a large cloth in my trunk, whichI use to wrap around the handle, and, one in a while, toss it in the wash-machine. GM and Ford vehicles, today (and, perhaps, some others I'm not aware of), have the Capless Filler-System which makes refuelings a little easier.
Old 01-28-21, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But people aren't driving, or driving dramatically less. I don't buy that explanation. Not everything that happened in 2020 is because of the pandemic lol
Old 01-28-21, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

But people aren't driving, or driving dramatically less. I don't buy that explanation. Not everything that happened in 2020 is because of the pandemic lol

Of course it's not the entire answer, but it's likely a major part of it. The number of customers at gas stations, although higher now than last spring, also seems to be down from before the pandemic. And, unfortunately, the pandemic has made some people scared of their own shadow.

Telecommuting and working at home is also making a difference. My brother, for instance, used to drive from Falls Church to Reston and back every day...now, his company lets him work at home and split the time...he only has to drive in every other day.

Back to Toyota vs. VW, though (the thread topic), I'd expect Toyota to hold onto the lead in hybrids, but VW might (?) come back and surpass it in other areas.

Quick Reply: Toyota overtakes Volkswagen as world's biggest automaker