Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM to drop ICEs by 2035

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 07:37 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

The Bolt interior looks ok, but is cheap as cheap can be - truly unforgivable at a 40k sticker. I looked closely at them earlier this month, but passed even at less than 50 cents on the dollar after incentives.
Old 01-29-21, 07:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Good article. The article even states that California has all the power it needs (article was from 2017 so i'm sure the EV uptake will change the equation). The lunacy of the rolling blackouts isn't that the system is stressed...its because they have to turn off the powerplants in case it causes a fire in severe heat. Its not a capability issue but a safety issue where i live and we only had the blackouts for a week. I envision most solar installations will get a battery backup in the future as those prices will continue to keep dropping. I have no doubt, most regions in the US will have no issues building more infrastructure if there is a revenue opportunity. Its extremely easy to get funded with a guaranteed revenue stream for the taking.
the overcapacity is so bad plants get shut down, you cant just turn on a plant when the power dips down especially one thats been idled for months. So despite a theoretical overcapacity its unusable when its needed.
Old 01-29-21, 07:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is just a farce, GM will find an excuse to keep building pushrod engines way past 2035. If you're going to buy American, buy a Tesla.
Old 01-29-21, 07:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the overcapacity is so bad plants get shut down, you cant just turn on a plant when the power dips down especially one thats been idled for months. So despite a theoretical overcapacity its unusable when its needed.
This is why they are investing in battery plants so that this energy can be stored. Again, there is no barrier for EV adoption in the long term.
Old 01-30-21, 07:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This is why they are investing in battery plants so that this energy can be stored. Again, there is no barrier for EV adoption in the long term.
or how about having a balanced power grid instead of going this route. Batteries are not going to fix a blackout problem, how come other states are fine? Because their's are balanced.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...outs-by-state/
Old 01-30-21, 07:39 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

or how about having a balanced power grid instead of going this route. Batteries are not going to fix a blackout problem, how come other states are fine? Because their's are balanced.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...outs-by-state/
I'm not disagreeing. Yes, California is typically mismanaged. It is what it is.
Old 01-30-21, 07:49 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What does the bolt look like?
It looks like a Chevy. So it looks meh.
Old 01-30-21, 07:50 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Now do the EXTERIOR.
Old 01-30-21, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Now do the EXTERIOR.
Your Wish is My Command.

Old 01-30-21, 08:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your Wish is My Command.

Chevy-style mediocre.
Old 01-30-21, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Chevy-style mediocre.

Does the job....I'd probably buy one before a Tesla, especially if I had a place to charge it. In fact, my local GM dealership seems to be recharging customer's Bolts on request now....but I don't know all the details.
Old 01-30-21, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

wow, lots of cynicism and #fail in this thread.

Originally Posted by winterturb
you see rolling blackouts when demand is high. Plug every car in at night and that increases demand. Reservoirs fill up at night so they can meet demand during the day. It’s not like there is lots of free electricity sitting around at night that doesn’t get used.

you are correct. They will indeed update the grid but it’s not as simple as just doing it especially in California with all the regulations and red tape. It’s going to cost huge sums and take a long time. There is not enough electricity currently to handle all cars converting to EV. So you are talking about HUGE infrastructure costs. New dams in California? More water in Lake Mead. New coal plants, oh ya can’t build those. New nuclear plants. No body wants those any more. So more natural gas plants. Again can’t build those as they pollute so it will have to be dams
california has some 'unique' problems, but i do believe they will solve them, pretty easily, over time. solar on homes and buildings for one thing makes a GIANT difference as adoption goes up and reduces load on the grid and can even feed electricity back onto the grid. that's just one solution. i think you're too locked into traditional 'power plant' and grid thinking.

I don’t think people even at the top of GM are giving much thought as to where all the energy is going to come from to run all these cars.
if you think they haven't thought about it then i think you're giving a massive corporation with tons of incredibly smart people way too little credit. do i think gm always makes great decisions? not always know, but i think it's made a ton of smart ones since the bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by Lend0
Mary Barra continues to be the CEO GM deserves.
cynicism noted, but i think you're right. i think mary barra is level headed, very smart, and very realistic about the world as it is. more models will be built in china, for that market and exported back to the u.s. and elsewhere for example. if apple can do it, why not gm?

i'm pretty sure my next car purchase will be electric, but not any time soon.
Old 01-30-21, 10:08 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's not just California. There are many countries that are adopting this timeline. You are right. If the opportunity for revenue is there, someone will take advantage of the opportunity. This is a wealth shift from oil to utilities and you can be damn sure the utilities are salivating to take advantage of this. This shift to EV and autonomous auto will bring in a massive structural change to our transportation ecosystem for sure.
utilities transmit energy. Who’s going to produce it? If you think wind and solar good luck as we were there 180 years ago and things moved slowly. If you still want your Amazon package deceivers to your door overnight they best come up with a fuel replacement fast and that has not happened.

someone on here posted most Tesla’s run on solar in Cali. Nothing could be further from the truth. It may be someone In the press said so but it’s far from true.

a person can lay I. The sun all day and with a tiny bit of spf can keep from burning. There is NO energy in that. It’s not captuarable. It’s why not a single solar company exists without tax breaks and grants. It’s not economical on. A grand scale. Too much energy gets lost in the grid.

GM is virtue signalling to placate the enviros who have bought the lie hook line and sinker that the world can exist as we want it to without Oil and Gas. It’s shocking at how uneducated folks are on energy and what it takes to run the world

a Windmill has a net energy loss of 7% over its life span. They are only being used as they are heavily a subsidized via carbon credits and tax breaks. If they were efficient every farmer in America would have one. Think about that for a moment.

the logic has long left us
Old 01-30-21, 10:17 AM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

that’s a lie to keep the population from panicking. There is not an abundance of electricity. If there were it would be cheaper. Plants can’t handle the demand at peak hours as they are too small. A 4 cylinder can’t pull a heavy load up the hill it’s needs more cylinders or more capacity.

overheating happens when the system is stressed. They need more plants that produce more electricity and to think every vehicle trucks included can just switch to electricity without building many more plants is simply a lack of understanding of energy
Old 01-30-21, 10:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by winterturb
utilities transmit energy. Who’s going to produce it? If you think wind and solar good luck as we were there 180 years ago and things moved slowly. If you still want your Amazon package deceivers to your door overnight they best come up with a fuel replacement fast and that has not happened.

someone on here posted most Tesla’s run on solar in Cali. Nothing could be further from the truth. It may be someone In the press said so but it’s far from true.

a person can lay I. The sun all day and with a tiny bit of spf can keep from burning. There is NO energy in that. It’s not captuarable. It’s why not a single solar company exists without tax breaks and grants. It’s not economical on. A grand scale. Too much energy gets lost in the grid.

GM is virtue signalling to placate the enviros who have bought the lie hook line and sinker that the world can exist as we want it to without Oil and Gas. It’s shocking at how uneducated folks are on energy and what it takes to run the world

a Windmill has a net energy loss of 7% over its life span. They are only being used as they are heavily a subsidized via carbon credits and tax breaks. If they were efficient every farmer in America would have one. Think about that for a moment.

the logic has long left us
What are you talking about? California has a surplus of solar energy it can't utilize because there isn't a way to store it. My house can easily supply 2 EVs with 19 panels and the entire house easily. California doesn't have an efficient system right now because most of the energy produced during the day is lost and they are forced to use peaker plants at night. With more battery storage systems, this situation will change. There is always progress and if the revenue opportunity is there, investment will be there too.

Quick Reply: GM to drop ICEs by 2035