Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4th Gen 2022 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 05:15 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I never thought I would see the day when people have SUV and Performance in the same sentence. It's a freaking SUV. Buy a sports car if you want performance.
The MDX will be fine. Americans love SUV's.
Old 12-20-21, 05:59 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
I never thought I would see the day when people have SUV and Performance in the same sentence. It's a freaking SUV.
Clearly you've never driven a Macan Turbo, or an X3M/X4M Comp. They can give many legit sports cars (not exotics) a run for their money. In fact, the X3M/X4M put down the exact same 7:58 lap time on the Nürburgring as the M2.

Not even remotely saying that the MDX will be on the same level as those. But the idea of a Performance SUV isn't exactly preposterous.
Old 12-20-21, 06:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am sure Acura will be fine.
I’m not questioning success of MDX. I predicted it would sell extremely well because of its styling and other improvements for the new generation. I see them everywhere and they look great in person.

I’m specifically talking about the TypeS variant which seems underwhelming at its price point.
Old 12-20-21, 07:09 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I never thought I would see the day when people have SUV and Performance in the same sentence. It's a freaking SUV. Buy a sports car if you want performance.
The MDX will be fine. Americans love SUV's.
Well whether you like it or not the “Performance SUV” is a larger segment nowadays than “Performance coupes”.

You just need to separate the real ones from the ones solely for marketing purposes.

I agree that there is no escaping physics but technology can do wonders. There are many performance SUVs that are fun to drive. Ppl that have families now don’t have to settle for a boring SUV.
Old 12-20-21, 07:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

This is somewhat similar to family hauler station wagons. Although we don't have them in the US, in Europe MB, Audi and BMW offer high performance AMG, RS and M wagons which pretty well match the performance of the sedans.
Old 12-22-21, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
That is WAY overpriced.
You can get a nicely optioned X5 Msport for that amount which will be more luxurious and have much better performance.
But isn't as spacious inside or family friendly. I think we need to understand that these vehicles don't really compete, and that someone who is buying an MDX isnt looking at an X5.
Old 12-22-21, 07:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But isn't as spacious inside or family friendly. I think we need to understand that these vehicles don't really compete, and that someone who is buying an MDX isnt looking at an X5.
I think anyone willing to spend $73K on an MDX is going to start branching out from Acura's typical competition.
Old 12-22-21, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I think anyone willing to spend $73K on an MDX is going to start branching out from Acura's typical competition.
I dunno, I know people who drive MDXs exclusively like I know people who drive Lexus RXs exclusively, they literally never look at anything else.
Old 12-22-21, 08:39 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I’ve had five MDXs (01, 05, 11, 17, & 20). Owned the first three and leased the last two. Last three have been Advance models. I have always considered them Premium, not Luxury, although Acura has been moving more towards luxury since the 2017 refresh (actual wood vs plastic, heated & reclining second row seats, remote start, ventilated front seats since 2011, etc.).

Overall value (what you get for the money) and space/comfort have been the two principal factors in my staying with the MDX. I shop RX, QX60, X5, Discovery, and Telluride/Palisade (GV80 not out). Did not shop in 2020 given discounts/incentives mentioned below.

Re space, I can get golf clubs cross ways behind the back of the second seat. Very comfortable for four golfers, or family with golf clubs, luggage, etc.

Re value, not sure going forward given current market. With my 2020 lease in March 2020, the MSRP was $59,275 but with discounts and factory to dealer incentives, the Adjusted Capital Cost was $46,300. Lease payment was more than $100 less than the 2017 lease of essentially an identical vehicle. Likely won’t see that type of discounts/incentives when I am ready for next vehicle. I am interested to see the Type S but will again shop multiple vehicles, or may buy the current MDX at lease end. Being a financial guy, value will weigh heavily in the decision.
Old 12-22-21, 04:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I dunno, I know people who drive MDXs exclusively like I know people who drive Lexus RXs exclusively, they literally never look at anything else.
You think those folks would move up to a Type S version, tho? Those types of buyers are typically more of the appliance shopper (GE Profile, as opposed to Whirlpool, of course).
Old 12-22-21, 05:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
You think those folks would move up to a Type S version, tho? Those types of buyers are typically more of the appliance shopper (GE Profile, as opposed to Whirlpool, of course).
I think as they age and make more and more money they might.
Old 12-22-21, 06:00 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Acura has a loyal customer base that almost rivals Lexus, so they'll gobble up even mediocre cars like the new TLX and prior ILX. I'm sure this Type S will sell no matter how good it is so long as the dealers don't try to play any stupid markup games like they did with the TLX Type S and Civic Type R (prior to the supply issues).
Old 12-23-21, 10:47 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Clearly you've never driven a Macan Turbo, or an X3M/X4M Comp. They can give many legit sports cars (not exotics) a run for their money. In fact, the X3M/X4M put down the exact same 7:58 lap time on the Nürburgring as the M2.

Not even remotely saying that the MDX will be on the same level as those. But the idea of a Performance SUV isn't exactly preposterous.
Then why bring them up to prove your point.
I actually have driven both of those vehicles. Macan Turbo and the regular X3/X4.
Regardless I have never been to a track event and a SUV was waiting in line. I feel performance orient suv's are a waste of money and I'm a Porsche guy. I guess I'm old school.
But that's my opinion.

As I stated the MDX will sell regardless.
Old 12-23-21, 12:25 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Then why bring them up to prove your point.
I actually have driven both of those vehicles. Macan Turbo and the regular X3/X4.
Regardless I have never been to a track event and a SUV was waiting in line. I feel performance orient suv's are a waste of money and I'm a Porsche guy. I guess I'm old school.
But that's my opinion.

As I stated the MDX will sell regardless.
"Acura Joe" could buy a base model MDX for $47k and an ILX for $26k (or TLX for $37k) to have two purpose-built vehicles in the garage. Or, they could buy an MDX Type S for $67k, saving themselves $6-17k, plus only having to insure and maintain one vehicle instead of two. It's nice to have choices.
Old 12-23-21, 02:45 PM
evident
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Dynamically FWD based crossover SUVs are at a huge disadvantage to proper RWD based ones.

Acura has had numerous issues historically with quality especially their Automatics. We shall see how this new V6 turbo engine fares. Most buyers lease these things whether its X5 or MDX so long term reliability is not important especially for those looking at Performance above anything else which is what TypeS is about.
While i agree 100% about FWD vs RWD the MDX has a huge advantage when it comes to packaging of the vehicle. the X5's 3rd row sucks compared to the MDX. for a family hauler i don't care if it can handle a smidge better than the MDX if i can't use it for its intended use.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen 2022 Acura MDX