Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

4th Gen 2022 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-20, 12:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Nice improvement overall but nothing to move the needle in this segment.

A bit surprised that the V6 is not optional but only for TypeS model.

The interior is virtually a copy of the RDX which had been out now for 2-3yrs.

Looking forward to the new Mazda6 as it may be great matchup.
I think the V6 only in the Type S makes sense, BMW is doing similar, 330i and the M340i. C300 and then AMG C43, Audi A4 are all 2.0T and then S4 to get the boosted V6.

Interior switchgear does look largely shared from the RDX, but almost everyone OEM does this, so again, not a huge demerit in my opinion. Light years ahead of what was in the outgoing TLX. Super nice and genuine materials for everything.

Old 05-28-20, 12:44 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Looks pretty compelling overall. But as I feared, that center console layout pretty much closes the door on the possibility of an MT.
Agreed, no protecting for an MT with that center console layout. Saddened me quite a bit. I had the prior TL Type S. Was hoping existing of MT in the Accord Sport with 2.0T and Obviously Civic Type R would've meant a possible return of 6MT for the Type S, especially with how they're trying to position as a performance type brand. I know that manual take rates are super low across the industry, but would've been a nice little hat tip to enthusiasts.
Old 05-28-20, 12:55 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
if C8 & GTR cant have a MT, no reason the TLX should
If that were the bar, the G70, Accord, Civic, Corolla, Veloster, and GTI shouldn't have a manual either. But they all do, and some variants don't even offer an AT at all. My current DD is my first AT in over 20 years, and it will also be my last. So that takes the TLX off my list.

Still planning on getting a C8 at some point, but it would be paired with a MT-equipped commuter/winter car.
Old 05-28-20, 12:56 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The type S looks promising unfortunately they did not release the engine specs. I wouldn't be surprised if the type S with SH-AWD ends up being quicker than both the Q50 red sport & G70 3.3T
Old 05-28-20, 01:02 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think the V6 only in the Type S makes sense, BMW is doing similar, 330i and the M340i. C300 and then AMG C43, Audi A4 are all 2.0T and then S4 to get the boosted V6.

Interior switchgear does look largely shared from the RDX, but almost everyone OEM does this, so again, not a huge demerit in my opinion. Light years ahead of what was in the outgoing TLX. Super nice and genuine materials for everything.
I just hope it’s not a limited trim that dealers will use to price gauge and in turn put off potential buyers.
When I was looking at RDX Aspec last year - dealers were treating them like gold with less discount and worse lease program.

BMW you can go and get M340i with no issue and lease program is same as 330i.
Old 05-28-20, 01:08 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Q50 Red Sport still exists with 400 HP, and so does the Genesis G70 with 365 HP (which is getting an even more powerful 380 HP 3.5 V6 next year). And both of these options are RWD. On paper, the TLX won't be winning any awards for performance under $60K, if it even is under 60K for the Type S.
Q50 Red Sport starts at around 55K, no way Acura is pricing the Type S anywhere near 55K unless they want it to sit and rot on the lots. Q50 is a pretty old design, bad interior, not a good driver or handler, pretty plain looking, AWD not nearly as advanced. Have not heard anything on a new design

Genesis G70 3.3t is priced more attractively in mid 40's but that still may be too high for what people want to pay for a entry Genesis and while its interior and exterior look nice, it is not nearly as nice as the new TLX/Type S from what I am seeing. If they price the Type S around what the Genesis 3.3t is priced at I think it could do pretty well.

They won't price the Type S anywhere near 60K if they want it to sell, even 50K is going to be tough.
Old 05-28-20, 01:32 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like an oversized ILX. And what's up with Acura's obsession with fake vents? A hard no pass here.
Old 05-28-20, 01:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Looks same to me!

Mazda6 will have turbo Inline6 engine which im sure will make at least what this Acura V6 makes. Inline 6s are more robust design and can handle more power easier than a V6.

Considering the TypeS will only come out in Spring 2021 as a 2022MY - I don’t think its too much time before new Mazda6 is out which should also be next year.
They will of course share a few things but the designs are pretty different looking especially in the center.

Mazda has never pushed hp in their vehicles, I doubt the inline 6 in the Mazda will be pushing anywhere near 350 or more hp, they ware going to try to keep prices reasonable too considering it will be sold as a mainstream Mazda. Perhaps in the future there may be some special edition with around that power but that might be a ways off.
Old 05-28-20, 01:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Q50 Red Sport starts at around 55K, no way Acura is pricing the Type S anywhere near 55K unless they want it to sit and rot on the lots. Q50 is a pretty old design, bad interior, not a good driver or handler, pretty plain looking, AWD not nearly as advanced. Have not heard anything on a new design

Genesis G70 3.3t is priced more attractively in mid 40's but that still may be too high for what people want to pay for a entry Genesis and while its interior and exterior look nice, it is not nearly as nice as the new TLX/Type S from what I am seeing. If they price the Type S around what the Genesis 3.3t is priced at I think it could do pretty well.
The question was not "are they better than the TLX?" (which we won't know until it reaches dealer lots), but what other luxury sport sedans under $60K we could get with over 350 HP. The G70 and Q50 are the ideal answers- you can throw in the Stinger as well if brand doesn't matter.

I would be shocked to see the TLX be priced the same as the G70, since not only is it a much larger vehicle bordering the G80 in size, but Acura as a brand holds more clout than Genesis currently.

They won't price the Type S anywhere near 60K if they want it to sell, even 50K is going to be tough.
Why not? The RLX started at $55K and went well past $65K for the top-of-the-line SH-AWD. Since it no longer exists, there is no issue if Acura decides to raise the prices of the TLX to that level- and who is to stop them when the car has already grown to be a midsizer?

I expect to see the new TLX start just a bit under $40K and go well up near $70K for the Type S, which puts it somewhere near the new Genesis G80. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by Motorola; 05-28-20 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-28-20, 01:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

The question was not "are they better than the TLX?" (which we won't know until it reaches dealer lots), but what other luxury sport sedans under $60K we could get with over 350 HP. The G70 and Q50 are the ideal answers- you can throw in the Stinger as well if brand doesn't matter.

I would be shocked to see the TLX be priced the same as the G70, since not only is it a much larger vehicle bordering the G80 in size, but Acura as a brand holds more clout than Genesis currently.

Why not? The RLX started at $55K and went well past $65K for the top-of-the-line SH-AWD. Since it no longer exists, there is no issue if Acura decides to raise the prices of the TLX to that level- and who is to stop them when the car has already grown to be a midsizer?

I expect to see the new TLX start just a bit under $40K and go well up near $70K for the Type S, which puts it somewhere near the new Genesis G80. We'll have to wait and see.
Model 3 Performance is $55k with 525-550hp.
Old 05-28-20, 02:01 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not sure if I would consider the Model 3 to be a luxury sedan.

On a related note involving American companies, I just now remembered the Cadillac CT5, which is in a similar position to the TLX in its size and former starting price. And that thing goes up to $70K for the 360 HP CT5-V. The Type S being $70K is not that far-off of a prediction.
Old 05-28-20, 02:05 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
If that were the bar, the G70, Accord, Civic, Corolla, Veloster, and GTI shouldn't have a manual either. But they all do, and some variants don't even offer an AT at all. My current DD is my first AT in over 20 years, and it will also be my last. So that takes the TLX off my list.

Still planning on getting a C8 at some point, but it would be paired with a MT-equipped commuter/winter car.
Good luck getting a MT in the future

Had 3 manual transmission Vettes and loved them all...MT Boxster, Acura Integra, WRX, etc..but I don't see the manuals sticking around unfortunately. I was fortunate to find a MT DD/commuter/beater, but for my truck I couldn't find a manual.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-29-20 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 02:07 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's hideous/goofy looking too with a fisher price interior.
Old 05-28-20, 02:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if I would consider the Model 3 to be a luxury sedan.

On a related note involving American companies, I just now remembered the Cadillac CT5, which is in a similar position to the TLX in its size and former price. And that thing goes up to $70K for the 360 HP CT5-V.
Arent these all sports sedans I never considered Acura a luxury brand...more premium and tech. I wonder if they will ever come out with a Type R variant.
Old 05-28-20, 02:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UDel
It's hideous/goofy looking too with a fisher price interior.
Tell us how you really feel

Quick Reply: 4th Gen 2022 Acura MDX