Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wow! I've Never Seen Such Blatant Honesty By A Car Dealer Before! - PIC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 04:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

When I bought my truck over the internet in another state, they didn't say in the listing that it had been smoked in. But I noticed what appeared to be a burn mark in the driver's seat in the photos, so I asked the question. They answered that it had indeed been smoked in but gave me $1,000 off the price. I only noticed faint hints of the smell on occasion for the first few months of ownership but that's about it.

Old 02-08-21, 09:55 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
Smokers

We wouldn't buy a used car from a smoker for two reasons. First, smoking is reckless behavior. Second, it suggests the owner might be reckless with regards to repair and maintenance.

Even more important, there's the stink. Even if the smell is only faint, you might want to walk away. First of all, the owner probably left the windows open for a week before selling it, and probably emptied a 55-gallon drum of Febreze on the upholstery. That's as good as it's ever going to smell. It will only get worse once you roll up the windows and take it home. And the smell will never, ever go away — a bitter reality that's true for any strong odor. And, over time, the smell of cigarettes will permeate everything you own that travels with you in your car: your clothes, your gym bag … even the apps on your iPhone.

Look for the telltale signs of burn holes in the upholstery, evidence of cigarettes extinguished in the ashtray and the scent of English Leather cologne being used to mask the smell.

By the way, if you're a smoker, buying a car that's been used by a smoker is a chance to get a good deal. Most non-smokers won't want it, and what do you care if you burn another hole in the upholstery?

https://www.cartalk.com/content/top-...t-buy-used-car
just because someone is a smoker doesn't mean they dont take care of their stuff. im a smoker and i take excellent care of my vehicles. i will say however, that i wouldn't smoke in a car i spent $100k on. hell i didnt smoke in my 99 Ls400 for the first year i had it because i wanted to keep it fresh. but even as a heavy smoker myself, i dont want a smokers car. i guess its sort of like dog slobber. when its someone elses dog its gross, when its my own dog, it isn't lol