Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I agree it is inevitable. But it will be a long time before we are all in EVs and have ubiquitous chargers everywhere. That the grid can’t handle it is a whole other can of worms. California can’t even keep its lights on.

I seriously will be checking my old apartments over the next few years and beyond for chargers. They were nice, not super high end, but nice.

Hoping for good health and longevity for all of us and we’ll see who got it right eventually about all this.
Nobody is saying it won’t be a long time. Nobody is talking about anything sooner than 15-20 years when it comes to carmakers, and remember the average age of a car on the road is like 12 years old. So it will be a long long time before most cars on the road are EVs.
Old 02-04-21, 12:27 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you believe that Toyota which has only two PHEVs and two pedestrian EVs (not counting rebadges of Chinese model or Kei car) can make a sudden blitzkrieg of EVs under L badge they yeah it's possible. Most likely ICE remains on Lexus for a very long time with some EV addition here and there. Like always with Toyota everything will take time and Lexus will be the last tier 1 brand to have EVs in all segments
Old 02-04-21, 02:40 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

New Lexus concept to be unveiled this year, see 3:38 of the video.

Last edited by natnut; 02-04-21 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 07:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see no insurmountable obstacles to widespread adoption of electric vehicles in the next few years. will some areas adopt faster than others? sure. but it's going to happen.
Nobody is disputing that EVs will take over eventually.
I’m just very skeptical it can be done within next 14years especially considering no automakers besides Tesla had any success selling EVs in any meaningful numbers.

NYC has millions of residents and very old infrastructure. Change takes a long time and costs a lot of money. Just look at our subway system- it is a relic and bleeds $$$ yet nobody can modernize it. Same with our energy/power grids.

Tesla is losing $$$ because they invested in the infrastructure themselves. If these automakers band together and invest billions of dollars (meaning they will bleed $$$ for foreseeable future) to buildout comprehensive infrastructure then yes it can happen even in 5years.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-04-21 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 07:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm not sure how you think I could have represented purchasers in the acquisition of a gas station business and property without reviewing those contracts. I have, and I am correct.

You DO see electric charging stations at gas stations, as I and other members have told you in this thread. Why don't all of them have them? Because there's currently not enough money to be made there to make it worth the ground space. That will change as more BEVs are on the roads and charging speeds shorten so they can be turned over faster and you will see this happening more and more.
First - unless you’re an attorney you should not be reviewing contracts on behalf of your clients or providing them any legal advice. Representing several purchasers doesn’t mean that’s how it is for other gas operators.

Plenty of ppl drive Teslas in NY and especially where I live as we have a Tesla store nearby. I have yet to see any chargers at gas stations in any of the boroughs or Long Island. I’m sure there is money to be made by offering charging for these gas station operators but legally they can’t do it.
Old 02-04-21, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
First - unless you’re an attorney you should not be reviewing contracts on behalf of your clients or providing them any legal advice. Representing several purchasers doesn’t mean that’s how it is for other gas operators.

Plenty of ppl drive Teslas in NY and especially where I live as we have a Tesla store nearby. I have yet to see any chargers at gas stations in any of the boroughs or Long Island. I’m sure there is money to be made by offering charging for these gas station operators but legally they can’t do it.
I'm aware of how to operate my business thank you, and I am extremely confident that I am correct. You're just not correct here, gotta deal with it. Gas stations are totally able to offer services on their site that do not include gas, and the companies that supply the gas have no right to restrict that. Many agreements also include that the supplier is paid a % of the total revenues of the station, in which case they too make money from additional revenue streams. Fuel suppliers themselves will get in on this business once it is worthwhile for them to do so and provided branded charging, they already are in many parts of the world.

There is not currently money to be made in those gas stations by charging because of the lack of land available, the space required for charging, lack of demand and the length of time it takes to charge. As those issues change, there will be money to be made and you will start to see that. When EV demand begins to eclipse gasoline demand, the highest and best use of the square footage on the station's lot will shift.

By your logic a carwash on a gas station lot makes no sense because most gas stations dont have them. Thats not true, gas station carwashes are very profitable its just most gas stations don't have the space or layout for one.

Where you see it now is places out west where they have huge amounts of land available for a gas station complex. We have them here, but again further out and along major highways where there is plenty of space.

Some examples:

In Europe a company reached an agreement with Shell to offer EV charging at their stations:

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/alle...rlands-and-uk/

Singapore:

Chevron embraces EV Charging at California Gas stations:

https://www.wardsauto.com/sites/ward...%20charger.jpg

GetGo plans to offer EV charging at all stations by 2025:

https://cstoredecisions.com/2020/11/...ging-stations/

But you keep on believing this can never happen lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-04-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 08:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

Just wanted to add that I’m supercharging at a QuickChek as I post that’s attached to their gas station and convenience store. Great for the convenience store too because I grabbed a sub and some coffee

Edit: and it was $9.45 for 45% charge (edit: 45% charge, not 55%)

Last edited by Allen K; 02-04-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Just wanted to add that I’m supercharging at a QuickChek as I post that’s attached to their gas station and convenience store. Great for the convenience store too because I grabbed a sub and some coffee
You must be in the Twilight Zone or something LOL. Such a thing does not and can never exist!
Old 02-04-21, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I have definitely seen EV charging stations at gas station in the Rochester/Buffalo area and all throughout the GTA.

Old 02-04-21, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Edit: and it was $9.45 for 55% charge
And how long did it take you to charge?
Old 02-04-21, 09:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Depends on the charger. If it's V3, it would take about 10-15 min from a 10% starting point. I've never Supercharged more than 20 min on my trips.
Old 02-04-21, 09:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Depends on the charger. If it's V3, it would take about 10-15 min from a 10% starting point. I've never Supercharged more than 20 min on my trips.
(Respectfully) Can you not jump in and let him answer for himself? This way it avoids speculation...depends etc...I am reading a gas station charges .33 cents per minute near me...should be higher to capture road taxes and other such fees. I can definitely see a “connection” fee as well at some point

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-04-21 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 11:04 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.toyota.com/mirai/

Hydro is the way to go
Old 02-04-21, 11:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 813 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
150kW station. Took about 20 minutes to go from 25% -> 70% so 45% not 55%. Never claimed to be good at math I'll edit my earlier post to reflect it.

But it was enough time for me to go inside, grab an early lunch, and eat before hitting the road again.

Edit: grabbed the receipt from my Tesla history

Energy 35 kWh @ $0.27/kWh $9.45
Tax included $0.59

Last edited by Allen K; 02-04-21 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-04-21, 11:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

150kW station. Took about 20 minutes to go from 25% -> 70% so 45% not 55%. Never claimed to be good at math I'll edit my earlier post to reflect it.

But it was enough time for me to go inside, grab an early lunch, and eat before hitting the road again.

Edit: grabbed the receipt from my Tesla history

Energy 35 kWh @ $0.27/kWh $9.45
Tax included $0.59
So you got about 120 miles of range in about 20 min. Not bad considering it was the older V2. I see a ton of V3s being build in California now so probably save you 5 min from 25-70%. Do you see any buildouts of V3 in NJ?

Did you have any free Supercharging miles when you got the car? I still have 3k miles of free Supercharging to use due to referrals but not going anywhere due to COVID. Supercharging here, even at your rates is still way cheaper than gas but I don't know the price of gas in NJ.

Quick Reply: According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.