Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 08:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet its mostly hybrid. It seems Toyota thinks BEV isn't the future as the CEO seems against it. I bet the entire lineup is hybrid and will only have 1 BEV as an experiment. I hope they develop a more performance hybrid in their sport offerings. The current hybrids are dreadfully slow.
Yeah, that's what I think as well - they are going all in on Hybrids, not EV's. Akio Toyoda doesn't really support full EV's - according to him they will cause more harm than good in Japan.
Old 02-02-21, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I remember on this very forum people saying we would never have self driving cars, well that tech is largely here now. Driving a BEV is going to be a non issue 15 years from now, it will be totally normal and commonplace.
We don't have self-driving vehicles today. We have vehicles that claim to be self-driving............

Old 02-02-21, 08:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I have been to NYC many times. How do you fuel your cars now? You will be able to charge your EV in the same manner and just as quickly. Nobody is saying that EV chargers are going to be free to use, they will be built by people who want to make money off of them.

The market will drive ingenuity here.
Where are they getting the land to build these charging stations?

There is literally no room. It would be a HUGE investment that would take decades to make a decent ROI unless you charge crazy prices for charging which would prohibit ppl from buying EVs in the first place.
Old 02-02-21, 08:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
I actually don’t believe this. There are 23,000 man hours of labour in a barre of oil. Nuclear is the o lay energy with more stored power. Battery technology will have to be revolutionized dramatically to make this happen. It’s like MPG. In The 70’s states hey hit the pinnacle of fuel efficiencies now they lighten the blinker switch to try and eek out more mileage as they have maximized the efficiency of engines. Battery technology will be the same. It at some point will be impossible to store more energy in a battery or get more power out of an electric motor and with all the brain power currently working on it we may be there now or very very close.

range anxiety won’t be resolved. Energy has its limits
What you are not accounting for is that battery development for cars is still in its infancy. The current battery tech is just an evolution of the standard Li-ion Duracell battery with modification. The next 4680 cells are the next generation and to be produced this year. It will be able to get over 500 miles of range with 1,100hp and be ready to charge 200 miles in 15 minutes. That is on a 400V architecture which has limitations. If you employ an 800V architecture, you'll get 400 miles in 15 minutes or 200 miles in less than 10 minutes and this is technology they currently have. The next generation solid states will be even better. Once you take away ICE advantage of range and infrastructure, it really has no practical advantage over a BEV which naturally has better NHV, efficiency, performance, and reliability. Its a decidedly far superior technology.
Old 02-02-21, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Range anxiety will be resolved wen you can charge the car in 10 minutes and there are plenty of places to charge them.
Old 02-02-21, 08:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 235 Likes on 197 Posts

Where I lived in Los Angeles it would be extremely extremely difficult and expensive to add chargers. The landlords wouldn’t pay for them I can tell you that for sure. Thousands more apartment buildings just like it.

Not everyone has a garage with wall outlet.

California can’t even keep their own power on re: recent brownouts. Adding all this to the grid’s load would be a disaster.
Old 02-02-21, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Where are they getting the land to build these charging stations?

There is literally no room. It would be a HUGE investment that would take decades to make a decent ROI unless you charge crazy prices for charging which would prohibit ppl from buying EVs in the first place.
A lot of gas stations will convert to charging stations as demand for that increases. When you can charge a car in 10 minutes you wont need the number of chargers at a station that you do now.
Old 02-02-21, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Where I lived in Los Angeles it would be extremely extremely difficult and expensive to add chargers. .
Again...where do people buy fuel? As demand decreases for fuel, and increases for EV charging...those gas stations will convert to EV charging to stay in business. Think of the amount of land devoted to refueling cars.

The landlords wouldn’t pay for them I can tell you that for sure.
They will if they make them money.
Old 02-02-21, 08:59 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 322 Likes on 197 Posts

Range anxiety will be resolved wen you can charge the car in 10 minutes and there are plenty of places to charge them.
I felt exactly the same way - before I got an EV (not just any EV, but a Tesla - and it's perfectly normal for anyone who has not had an EV) - range anxiety. I'm willing to bet you have not owned an EV yet and you're speaking generally for the majority of the car buying public.

Once you own a Tesla, range anxiety is a thing of the past. I will be the first to agree that charging times on a trip are not always convenient, but you learn to work around it - it's perfectly fine - timed with washroom/eating breaks.
Old 02-02-21, 09:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

A lot of gas stations will convert to charging stations as demand for that increases. When you can charge a car in 10 minutes you wont need the number of chargers at a station that you do now.
Can you imagine the cost and Environmental clearance to convert a gas station to EV charging station. While this conversion takes place - how are they going to account for the lost revenue?

Most of these are privately owned. I know a family company that own 20 gas stations in NYC area. They would be out of their mind to start changing unless the government provides the $$$.
Old 02-02-21, 09:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
I felt exactly the same way - before I got an EV (not just any EV, but a Tesla - and it's perfectly normal for anyone who has not had an EV) - range anxiety. I'm willing to bet you have not owned an EV yet and you're speaking generally for the majority of the car buying public.

Once you own a Tesla, range anxiety is a thing of the past. I will be the first to agree that charging times on a trip are not always convenient, but you learn to work around it - it's perfectly fine - timed with washroom/eating breaks.
I totally agree that for me the only time range anxiety would even be a thing is on a trip. In my daily life, charging it at home is all I would ever have to do. Its just a metal adjustment people need to make in their heads. Theres a mechanical certainty in that I can put this liquid I can get anywhere into my car and it will drive for 400 miles. That liquid is something I can see and hear and smell and I trust that. Electricity seems a little bit less tangible.
Old 02-02-21, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Can you imagine the cost and Environmental clearance to convert a gas station to EV charging station. While this conversion takes place - how are they going to account for the lost revenue?

Most of these are privately owned. I know a family company that own 20 gas stations in NYC area. They would be out of their mind to start changing unless the government provides the $$$.
You think its going to require MORE environmental clearance to convert a gas station to EV charging? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get clearance to build a new gas station? EV charging stations have no environmental impact compared to gas stations. There are Government credits out there today to REMOVE gas stations.

Gas stations won't convert 100% all at once, They will replace some pumps with chargers over time. EV chargers are cheap, certainly far far cheaper than gas pumps and tanks etc.

When demand increases, they won't at all be out of their minds to convert to also provide EV charging. Its another revenue stream. The free market will work here.
Old 02-02-21, 09:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We don't have self-driving vehicles today. We have vehicles that claim to be self-driving............

How many pictures can you find of cars driven by people that have had an accident?

And we DO largely have self driving cars today, its just not cleared for road use yet. The technology exists. My Mercedes, which is not all that sophisticated in that department compared to newer models, can drive me on the highway for 100 miles without me ever touching the steering wheel if it werent for regulation.
Old 02-02-21, 09:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

How many pictures can you find of cars driven by people that have had an accident?

And we DO largely have self driving cars today, its just not cleared for road use yet. The technology exists. My Mercedes, which is not all that sophisticated in that department compared to newer models, can drive me on the highway for 100 miles without me ever touching the steering wheel if it werent for regulation.
Age affects everybody eventually. I've seen my dad drive and I wish the self-driving technology were even further along for people like him. I'm happy that when i get to his age, I'll be able to utilize a system to get me from point A to point B and allow me to be completely self-sufficient vs. having someone drive me around. In 10 years time, we will be thanking pioneers like Waymo and Tesla for advancing this technology so quickly.
Old 02-02-21, 09:28 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Electric cars are/will be good too. Different, but good. Imagine the silence of a full EV Lexus LS?
Coupled with the obligatory road, tire and wind noise.

Quick Reply: According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.