Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

and RNM GS3 - i know you're in NYC which has a very unique set of circumstances. driving and parking there SUCKS no matter what the propulsion system.
it's just not a car friendly place at all and frankly much more should be done to discourage car ownership there. clogging up tight streets with chargers and EVs is no solution so i hear ya there.
still, with NYC's current multitude of other issues it's likely enough people will leave that population density will become lighter anyway!
Old 02-02-21, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I would have to agree with jalopnik's speculation.
ok well that doesn't make it 'news' either.
Old 02-02-21, 07:57 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You should do some research into how recycling works. Absolutely hybrid and EV batteries are recycled. That doesn’t mean the old batteries are reused lol. The batteries are broken down and their raw materials are recycled and used to make new batteries.

When you recycle a milk jug, they don’t clean it and fill it up with milk and put it back on the shelf LOL
lmao...nice analogy.
Old 02-02-21, 08:22 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
What you are not accounting for is that battery development for cars is still in its infancy. The current battery tech is just an evolution of the standard Li-ion Duracell battery with modification. The next 4680 cells are the next generation and to be produced this year. It will be able to get over 500 miles of range with 1,100hp and be ready to charge 200 miles in 15 minutes. That is on a 400V architecture which has limitations. If you employ an 800V architecture, you'll get 400 miles in 15 minutes or 200 miles in less than 10 minutes and this is technology they currently have. The next generation solid states will be even better. Once you take away ICE advantage of range and infrastructure, it really has no practical advantage over a BEV which naturally has better NHV, efficiency, performance, and reliability. Its a decidedly far superior technology.
if what you say is true and if it can handle enough cycles and extreme climate variations and its cost effective than I have a lot of crow to eat. Any good recipes?

Where I live EV’s loose 40% of their range for 1/2 the year. Maybe the new battery technology resolves this issue

Old 02-02-21, 08:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok well that doesn't make it 'news' either.
It's not news, but look at how excited Steve is on the topic of TMC & electrification - many of us want TMC to electrify, because we don't want to drive BEV's with no turn indicators, no sun visors, no cup holders, low rear seat bases with knees pointing up to the sky, and poor quality of manufacture & poor quality of assembly etc etc.
Old 02-02-21, 08:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
if what you say is true and if it can handle enough cycles and extreme climate variations and its cost effective than I have a lot of crow to eat. Any good recipes?

Where I live EV’s loose 40% of their range for 1/2 the year. Maybe the new battery technology resolves this issue

The older Model 3 will lose 30-40% of range but the newer Model Y and 3 with the heat pump will only lose 20-30%. Let's see how the superior thermal characteristics of the 4680 cell play out in the real world. Technology is advancing very rapidly in this space. For the record, I don't believe ICE will fully go away as trucks and other applications that require towing and hauling are probably best served by ICE.
Old 02-02-21, 09:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol... why would they go in 100% with single powertrain? That makes no sense at all.
Sure it does. Hybrid means corporate 4-cylinder. But I never said 100% will have the same engine or powertrain.
Biggest and most profitable manufacturer is biggest and most profitable manufacturer because it globally caters to wide range of audiences... They will have a mix of petrol, full hybrid, diesel, phev and bev + fcev for a long time to come. Depending on market, mix will be different.
We'll see. Land Cruiser already canned in this part of the world. LS V8 is probably never coming back. V6 engine will no doubt be phased out is most everything. Diesel engines are dead in the water in most markets they simply can't meet emissions standards, or are outright being banned. But there is always the Mirai to keep the lineup diverse.
Old 02-03-21, 09:09 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

How many clients have you represented in the purchase of a gas station? We've represented 2. Gas stations 100% unequivocally make the bulk of their profit from sales of items other than fuel. Most have agreements with fuel suppliers where those fuel suppliers make the bulk of the revenue from fuel sales, and most operators of fuel stations actually dont even own the land or the station at all, they just have a license to operate it and pay the owner a use fee (kind of like sharecropping). Some independent fuel stations that are unbranded make more from fuel because they source their supply themselves and cut out the big fuel service conglomerate, but 99% of the big name stations operate this way, net profit is about 3 cents per gallon of gas.

Sorry, but you are just not correct here. Any gas station owner would welcome the addition of electric chargers if it would make them money. Unlike fuel which invoilves an extremely expesnive distributor who takes all the revenue, EV charging stations wont require that and longer wait times mean they can sell food and stuff from a store, etc.

Theres even the possibility that a third party could establish EV chargers and simply rent from the owner or operator of the station. This is common with gas station carwashes, someone else owns and operates the carwash equipment and they just lease the tunnel from the station.

Well you should go work for all of these carmakers, because they all mysteriously are setting similar dates that are 15-20 years from now.
If you think the utility companies and local/state government will not have their hand in the cookie jar to take the $$$ for these charging stations- you are kidding yourself. Somehow the lost gas tax revenue needs to be replaced.....

I looked at financials of several large family gas operators over the years - they all owned the land. Running a single station- i can see how that could be very difficult to scale where gas profits are meaningful.

Nobody is saying they won’t welcome another revenue stream but why would Shell for example allow a charging station at their gas location. I imagine this would violate the contract terms with the operator.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-03-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-03-21, 09:28 AM
OzLexen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Eel

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet its mostly hybrid. It seems Toyota thinks BEV isn't the future as the CEO seems against it. I bet the entire lineup is hybrid and will only have 1 BEV as an experiment. I hope they develop a more performance hybrid in their sport offerings. The current hybrids are dreadfully slow.
Im not from the US so I can’t speak for the US but in some parts of the world Hydrogen is really starting to take over the renewables conversation. What I would really like to see is some sort of Electric / Hydrogen hybrid ... that will solve a lot of the infrastructure issues because hydrogen can be pumped at a station just like gas and well then you can have a hybrid... I’m not so sure about Full electric cos of range , even if it’s 500 KM... I live in Australia .. the distance between two major cities is 1000kms or there about .. and there’s nothing in the middle of that commute so charging stations won’t happen ...
Old 02-03-21, 09:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by OzLexen
Im not from the US so I can’t speak for the US but in some parts of the world Hydrogen is really starting to take over the renewables conversation. What I would really like to see is some sort of Electric / Hydrogen hybrid ... that will solve a lot of the infrastructure issues because hydrogen can be pumped at a station just like gas and well then you can have a hybrid... I’m not so sure about Full electric cos of range , even if it’s 500 KM... I live in Australia .. the distance between two major cities is 1000kms or there about .. and there’s nothing in the middle of that commute so charging stations won’t happen ...
All hydrogen fuel cell cars are already EVs. The fuel cell generates electricity that powers up a battery which drives the electric motor. The issue is that the hydrogen cars are HEAVY already without a gigantic battery. Hydrogen is much much less energy dense than gasoline so not nearly as efficient and they only have a big enough battery to capture the energy provided by the hydrogen to power the motors.
Old 02-03-21, 09:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by OzLexen
Im not from the US so I can’t speak for the US but in some parts of the world Hydrogen is really starting to take over the renewables conversation.
Where is this happening?
Old 02-03-21, 10:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Another valid point. California can’t even keep its lights on, does no one remember the recent brownouts? When we lived there in LA the grid was always slammed according to the news.
That's where solar comes in. People can charge their cars if the chargers are solar powered and can store it in a small battery to recharge the EVs.
Old 02-03-21, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If you think the utility companies and local/state government will not have their hand in the cookie jar to take the $$$ for these charging stations- you are kidding yourself. Somehow the lost gas tax revenue needs to be replaced.....

I looked at financials of several large family gas operators over the years - they all owned the land. Running a single station- i can see how that could be very difficult to scale where gas profits are meaningful.

Nobody is saying they won’t welcome another revenue stream but why would Shell for example allow a charging station at their gas location. I imagine this would violate the contract terms with the operator.
Shell doesn’t have to allow it. Gas operators are allowed to operate related businesses on their property, washes, stores, repair shops, vacuums, air stations, ATMs etc. What they can’t do is sell another brand of fuel.

My local Shell station has a burrito restaurant and a dry cleaners. Shell has nothing to do with that.
Old 02-03-21, 11:03 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Shell doesn’t have to allow it. Gas operators are allowed to operate related businesses on their property, washes, stores, repair shops, vacuums, air stations, ATMs etc. What they can’t do is sell another brand of fuel.

My local Shell station has a burrito restaurant and a dry cleaners. Shell has nothing to do with that.
Right but those other business lines are not at the expense of selling GAS, they actually can work to attract clients to use that particular gas station.
Charging stations in no way will help Gas sales therefore the Gas companies will not be so welcoming to them.
Old 02-03-21, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Right but those other business lines are not at the expense of selling GAS, they actually can work to attract clients to use that particular gas station.
Charging stations in no way will help Gas sales therefore the Gas companies will not be so welcoming to them.
The gas company can't stop the gas station from providing charging stations on the same premises. The gas contract is only for the supply of the fuel and the branding. You seem to think Shell controls the station, they don't. Gas stations can and do change fuel brands all the time.

And gas companies are going to get in on this too as soon as there is money to be made.

Quick Reply: According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.