Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-21, 12:43 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
That's where solar comes in. People can charge their cars if the chargers are solar powered and can store it in a small battery to recharge the EVs.
Not if parked in a garage in an apartment complex. Which hundreds and hundreds of thousands of cars are out there, if not more out there in SoCal. Cars had to park in tandem where we were. I can’t possibly imagine adding chargers and it working where we lived, but whatever I guess.
Old 02-03-21, 01:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Not if parked in a garage in an apartment complex. Which hundreds and hundreds of thousands of cars are out there, if not more out there in SoCal. Cars had to park in tandem where we were. I can’t possibly imagine adding chargers and it working where we lived, but whatever I guess.
Those apartment complexes will install more and more spaces with chargers for EV cars as that becomes more of a demand. They are already doing it. My office building has a whole level in the garage where every space has an EV charger.
Old 02-03-21, 04:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The gas company can't stop the gas station from providing charging stations on the same premises. The gas contract is only for the supply of the fuel and the branding. You seem to think Shell controls the station, they don't. Gas stations can and do change fuel brands all the time.

And gas companies are going to get in on this too as soon as there is money to be made.
LOL - i love how confident you are in such intricate aspects of contracts having never reviewed one previously.

Well if that is the case - why don’t we see a damn Tesla charger at each and every gas station? I’m pretty sure they explored doing that and were told to take a hike.
Old 02-03-21, 04:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Those apartment complexes will install more and more spaces with chargers for EV cars as that becomes more of a demand. They are already doing it. My office building has a whole level in the garage where every space has an EV charger.
Who is paying for this at your office building - please take a pic as I have never seen this.
Old 02-03-21, 04:53 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Right but I’m telling you that it just wouldn’t work in the apartments I lived in, trust me. I used that garage daily for 2 years. Just the way it was leveled alone would make it virtually impossible.

New buildings, sure, and that’s good. But older places the logistics would be a nightmare. It would cost an absolute fortune if possible, which I doubt. I always check reviews of our old apartments etc. so if I see them ever offering charge ports for tenants I’ll let everyone here on the battery bandwagon know.
Old 02-03-21, 05:54 PM
OzLexen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of people here saying why some the electric or other alternate push won't happen any time soon, but the way I see it, it more a demand / supply thing. If the car companies & governments want to push electric or other then it will happen and will happen tremendously fast. This is esp true when it becomes an election issue. In UK and most European countries this is now an election issue so I can see a massive electric uptake. Here is Australia, we seem to follow the US so its a slow but it will be an election issue soon, then all bets are off. Combine power hungry politicians, profit hungry car companies and eco minded generation and its a perfect storm.
Old 02-03-21, 06:25 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OzLexen
I see a lot of people here saying why some the electric or other alternate push won't happen any time soon, but the way I see it, it more a demand / supply thing. If the car companies & governments want to push electric or other then it will happen and will happen tremendously fast. This is esp true when it becomes an election issue. In UK and most European countries this is now an election issue so I can see a massive electric uptake. Here is Australia, we seem to follow the US so its a slow but it will be an election issue soon, then all bets are off. Combine power hungry politicians, profit hungry car companies and eco minded generation and its a perfect storm.
If it’s an election year thing then you are way ahead of us, not behind. And in that case, fine. This piques my interest to learn more about your government and voting.

It will be decades before we have mostly EV cars in my opinion. Half of us will fight it as hard as we can. Can’t get into it any more on here. I plan on being an old man before I’m not allowed to drive an ICE, and I hope that day never happens honestly. Cars are so damn clean today and they will just get cleaner.

These goalposts can and will move.
Old 02-03-21, 07:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL - i love how confident you are in such intricate aspects of contracts having never reviewed one previously.

Well if that is the case - why don’t we see a damn Tesla charger at each and every gas station? I’m pretty sure they explored doing that and were told to take a hike.
I'm not sure how you think I could have represented purchasers in the acquisition of a gas station business and property without reviewing those contracts. I have, and I am correct.

You DO see electric charging stations at gas stations, as I and other members have told you in this thread. Why don't all of them have them? Because there's currently not enough money to be made there to make it worth the ground space. That will change as more BEVs are on the roads and charging speeds shorten so they can be turned over faster and you will see this happening more and more.

I realize you don't want this to happen, but its happening whether you like it or not lol.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Who is paying for this at your office building - please take a pic as I have never seen this.
I'm not sure whether people pay to use them or if they are free, I have not examined them that closely. The garage is however only available for people who pay to park there, and its branded to the company who manages the building.

Most of the parking garages around here have some availability of electric charging spaces.

Right but I’m telling you that it just wouldn’t work in the apartments I lived in, trust me. I used that garage daily for 2 years. Just the way it was leveled alone would make it virtually impossible.
So it would be impossible to put a charger pole in front of a parking space thats about the size of a parking meter? I find that hard to believe.

New buildings, sure, and that’s good. But older places the logistics would be a nightmare. It would cost an absolute fortune if possible, which I doubt. I always check reviews of our old apartments etc. so if I see them ever offering charge ports for tenants I’ll let everyone here on the battery bandwagon know.
I'm not sure how difficult you guys think it is to run an electrical cable and put up a small charging station lol.

Where would we ever find room for this?!

You're grasping at straws here. You can fit a charger anywhere you can park a car.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-03-21 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-03-21, 07:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My guess is those are hardwired into the ground.

Impossible to do that on every floor but the basement where our cars were, and even then, they’d be digging into the foundation or ground to try to do it.. Can’t really picture that either especially with cars parked in tandem but I suppose it’s possible.

It’s hard to explain but the slabs most of the cars parked on on higher levels were on only about 6 inches of concrete.
Old 02-03-21, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My guess is those are hardwired into the ground.

Impossible to do that on every floor but the basement where our cars were, and even then, they’d be digging into the foundation to try to do it..

It’s hard to explain but the slabs most of the cars parked on on higher levels were on only about 6 inches of concrete.
They run wire in metal conduit that is attached to the walls and ground, or they run wire in metal conduit from the level below and drill up into the ceiling to deliver the power to the charging station. 6 inches of concrete makes it easy. Its no big deal, there is plenty of power in an underground garage. There are discharge high voltage lights, surevilance equipment, alarm equipment, there are high voltage elevators, etc.
Old 02-03-21, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And in terms of adding a charhing station to your condo or apartment assigned parking spot, this is the company my clients' that have done so have used, they specialize in this:

https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/...ts-and-condos/

For the most part property managers are very receptive to this.

Old 02-03-21, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

i see no insurmountable obstacles to widespread adoption of electric vehicles in the next few years. will some areas adopt faster than others? sure. but it's going to happen.
Old 02-03-21, 08:17 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Yes, I agree bit.
It's just like digital cameras; there's always the sceptics.
Old 02-03-21, 08:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I agree it is inevitable. But it will be a long time before we are all in EVs and have ubiquitous chargers everywhere. That the grid can’t handle it is a whole other can of worms. California can’t even keep its lights on.

I seriously will be checking my old apartments over the next few years and beyond for chargers. They were nice, not super high end, but nice.

Hoping for good health and longevity for all of us and we’ll see who got it right eventually about all this.
Old 02-03-21, 08:42 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 486 Likes on 321 Posts

Consumers won't suddenly purchase a tsunami of EV's.

It is a progressive purchase, and those purchases will be matched with growth of renewable power stations & chargers.

Let's say a tsunami of purchases did occur.
Then the inadequate supply of renewable energy & chargers would put the brakes on EV sales.
Then once the supply of renewable energy & chargers is renewed, then sales of BEV's will resume growth.

Quick Reply: According to Jalopnick, Lexus going full electric.