Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LC F, IS F, LS F models soon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 08:49 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
New ICE cars? It would absolutely be possible to outlaw them by 2030, you can already see the effects on even current vehicles like Volvo's entire 4-cylinder hybrid electric lineup and the upcoming C-Class being purely 4-cylinder hybrids. Even if they don't all become pure EV's. the future of ICE will be low-displacement hybrids and PHEV's. The only way any V8 has a chance of survival is by becoming a hybrid.
That means every single new vehicle sold in those countries have to EV's in less then 10 years when EV's make up so few of their model lines now and the ones they have don't really sell. Are they just going to mandate everyone buy a Tesla? How does a car company change their entire lineup of vehicles so drastically so fast to something they have very little experience with? How do they make so many batteries in less then 10 years and create all the charging infrastructure. How can they advance the electric grid to cover such a radical change in less then 10 years while maintaining safety, reliability, etc. It just can't be done. This is going to bankrupt several automakers if not all of them, it is going to create more nightmare power issues like we saw in Texas and what almost happened in Germany, it is going to cost trillions of dollars that they don't have, they don't have enough rich people to tax to pay for all this nonsense. These EV's are going to have to be affordable, which 80% of them aren't so auto companies are going to have to take huge losses to make them affordable and what you are going to get is going to be absolute crap, much worse then a Tesla 3. I think the reason auto companies and energy companies aren't sounding the alarm bells how disastrous this is going to be is because they were told it is not really final and there will still be exceptions for ICE cars for a while, they just have to promise this nonsense to their voting base to make it appear they are doing something. This move is all about control, power, and money, has almost nothing to really do with helping the environment/being "green"(plant more trees and allow many more people to work from home, that will be much better for the environment/emissions then mandating EV's.)

Volvo is not a huge car company, they don't sell well in most markets so what they do is meaningless and they are still using a ICE. AMG C class is just one model, one that really does not define the AMG brand, they may have made that move because the new inline 6 doesn't fit in a C class chassis but who knows. They still haven't switched the S class over to 4 cyl or several other models, other AMG's still have 6 and 8 cylinders, they still have a 12 cylinder too.
Old 02-23-21, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Im surprised they have even done this, but still....same old V8, same power...its better than nothing but its not going to move the needle
as far as i know, the v8 in your mercedes isn't substantially different from many years of prior v8s.
Old 02-23-21, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as far as i know, the v8 in your mercedes isn't substantially different from many years of prior v8s.
2012 s550 - 429hp M278
2015 s550 - 449hp M278
2020 s560 - 463hp M176
2021 s580 - 496hp M176

isf/gsf/rcf - 416-471hp 2UR-GSE

only talking about the ttv8 version, from 2012 to 2021 MB has two engine series already (different engines).

from 2008 till now, isf/gsf/rcf have been on the same engine -- granted not the same power, it was improved when rcf was introduced

regarding the new f port performance move by lexus, i am glad to see v8 but it is a vey odd move by lexus. without price it is hard to say much about the sales. would be interesting to see how lexus plays this game and how they will do the real F cars
Old 02-24-21, 07:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

A lot of changes for the 2UR as it developed, 05rollaxrs had a good summary he posted in another thread. Just because the engine designation didn’t change doesn’t mean it was static

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Because of the high-speed engine design of the RCF, Lexus went through a series of redesign/updates and new components for the RCF 2UR. Apparently, all of the engine internals were reworked or redesigned.

New or redesigned parts include:
  • Cylinder heads and cam covers
  • Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
  • Crank main bearings and caps
  • High-strength forged connecting rods
  • Pistons and piston rings
  • Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
  • Intake manifold and throttle body
  • Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
  • Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
  • Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
  • Oil pan and baffle plate
  • Alternator clutch system
  • Engine and transmission oil coolers
  • Spark plugs

Digging Into the Metal
  • The new cylinder heads improve the 2UR-GSE engine’s breathing with improved porting and a high-flow/high tumble ratio. In addition, intake surge-tank capacity has been optimized, as have the intake manifold runner length and diameter.
  • The new oil pan baffle shape reduces agitation and hence friction, while new air-to-oil coolers for the engine oil and transmission fluid increase track suitability.
  • The Lexus D-4S dual-injection system has been redesigned, with higher injection pressure of 2,611 psi and improved fuel atomization.
  • The throttle diameter was increased by 10 percent, from 3 to 3.3 inches (84 mm).
  • A new intake camshaft profile increases valve lift and suits the Atkinson cycle, while improvements to the electronic VVT-iE system have expanded its range of operation for increased fuel economy and performance.
  • New four-into-two exhaust headers help reduce interference and hence further improve engine breathing. The larger-diameter exhaust system is designed to reduce backpressure and sound amazing, especially under acceleration. At the same time, the main muffler keeps things from getting too rowdy at lower speeds.
  • As a final touch, the new 2UR-GSE engine has a one-way clutch on the alternator pulley.
personally I prefer a more proven engine not something brand new from a reliability perspective. Current 2UR is a glorious motor and the sound it makes (to me) is just as important as power potential that will largely go untapped on a track for most

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-24-21 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-24-21, 08:43 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Most people wouldn’t know the difference between a 15 year-old motor vs a brand new one. They just parrot that line because all the auto journalists constantly bring it up.

I’d take the reliability and the all the improvements that Lexus worked on it for over the years over something completely new. It’s a bulletproof engine like the GM OHVs.
Old 02-24-21, 06:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
A lot of changes for the 2UR as it developed, 05rollaxrs had a good summary he posted in another thread. Just because the engine designation didn’t change doesn’t mean it was static

personally I prefer a more proven engine not something brand new from a reliability perspective. Current 2UR is a glorious motor and the sound it makes (to me) is just as important as power potential that will largely go untapped on a track for most
that's why i said changes were make on the engine when rcf came out.

however a lot of fundamentals can't be changed with the same block. efficiency among other things is the drive behind new designs. this v8 block fundamental has been around since 2007 (ls460), it's definitely still competitive but its definitely showing its age imho

in the meantime do i think lexus will have a new v8 or further major improvement on this v8 block? i doubt (though i wish)
Old 02-24-21, 08:13 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

^
They fully developed a V8tt with over 600hp but shelved it. LCF was supposed to have been out at least a year ago but this is Lexus - it may still come.....

The V6 TT from LS500 still hasn’t been put to use in any other model which is insane! Why not put it in the new IS and refreshed RC and detune it to 380hp.

The 10speed trans is also being wasted.

Its like they want these cars to fail on purpose.
Old 02-24-21, 08:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah, i was actually pretty excited when i heard about the news on v8tt debut, was really looking forward to that slap on face on competitors.

you have a very good point on the v6tt too, i think it could have been applicable to a lot of cars. create variety, keep it fresh for customers.
Old 02-25-21, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
As rominl said it was an all new engine in 2018 actually.
Old 03-01-21, 08:45 AM
BJM2014
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
Um, this is worse than the IS F not coming out.
Sorry? Not sure what you mean by that?
Old 03-01-21, 09:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM2014
Sorry? Not sure what you mean by that?
There are no announced plans for IS F. 2022 IS 500 F SPORT Performance is it.
Old 09-16-21, 10:33 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation Dead...DEAD... Dead

So it seems that the LC F is DEAD....

Last edited by finny76; 09-16-21 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-16-21, 11:45 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
So it seems that the LC F is DEAD....

Yep, exactly I have been saying here for quite a few days now and noted this trademark abandonment myself. Finally this information is getting around, since news media never followup on these things nor are they on top of it before anyone else anymore.
Old 09-16-21, 12:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

They can still use the engine in a reduced capacity. I mean it has to be completed already. LC F-Sport Performance, lets call it.
Old 09-16-21, 01:20 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
They can still use the engine in a reduced capacity. I mean it has to be completed already. LC F-Sport Performance, lets call it.
We've been through this before. If the IS500 can't be sold outside of NA then this engine has an even lesser chance of making it, unless Lexus finds some way to hybridize it- which would likely cost as much to develop as the TTV8 itself.

The TTV8 is 5-7 years too late.

Quick Reply: LC F, IS F, LS F models soon?