Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help SilverBolt w/ a BIG decision... Keep the SC or join the IS crew??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-03, 11:03 AM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help SilverBolt w/ a BIG decision... Keep the SC or join the IS crew??

Hello everyone,
I've been thinking alot lately. Basically do I....

1) Keep my 93 Jade Green SC300 w/ 60,000 miles & put money into mods (body kit, wheels, paint job etc.)
-OR-
2) Sell the SC & buy a 2001 IS300 (maybe yellow w/ black interior )

What would you do if you were making this decision? Why?

I have a number of questions that will help me make this decision. I really need to get to know more about the IS. If I could have an AIM chat w/ any relatively knowledgable IS owner that would excellent! (AIM sn: SilverBolt219) It would be ideal if I could talk with someone who has owned both an SC & an IS.

There's nothing wrong w/ my SC, & I still have a lotta love for my fellow CL owners! I just need some help assessing which option would give me the most bang for my buck

Thanks in advance everyone,
-Johnny
Old 09-20-03, 12:39 PM
SilverBolt 219
Pole Position

Attached Thumbnails Help SilverBolt w/ a BIG decision... Keep the SC or join the IS crew??-is-vs-sc.jpg  
Old 09-20-03, 01:23 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

That's an easy one, and i'm not even biased.....

The SC of course.
Old 09-20-03, 03:54 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...
Although I own an SC and love it, I'd rather have a fresh new car.
But yellow? why?
Old 09-20-03, 05:03 PM
legendary
Racer

The IS is really a nice car, but if it were my decision, I would definitely keep the SC and do it up
Old 09-20-03, 05:29 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The IS300 is a more "functional" car if you have a family to tow around or you like being the designated car that all your friends get towed around in....

The SC300 can be turbo'd or supercharged like the IS300. You already own it and even if you owe money on it, you'll definitely owe more on the IS300 which means less money for mods which means you'll need to drive the IS300 stock for a while...

The SC300 doesn't have a "luxury ricer" image like the IS300 does....your '93 SC300 has most of the modern features as the IS300 minus one-touch sunroof, still uses R112, one touch down only on the driver side (no one touch anything on the pass side), etc., etc...plus IS obviously has newer mechanicals...

Dunno, for me, I'd defintely go SC but then again, I have 2001 GS430 so I have the modern sedan thing covered....

If I was in your situation (but with my needs), I would take the IS300 (but not in yellow!) only because it's a slightly more functional car (useable trunk space, easy to get into 4/5 seater, modern equipment and mechanics, possible valid warranty, etc., etc.). I prefer the way the SC looks and I would definitely take the SC if I already had a car that fit the listed criteria...

You wanna sell your SC to me?

Last edited by Manaray; 09-20-03 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 08:38 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

There are less SC's than IS's in the world today. Even lesser 1st Gen GS's. hehe
If you want to save money instead, mod up the Sc, that would be a good decision.

If you get the IS, you will have less to work with in terms of funds.

Like Manaray said, if you need more room, go for the IS! Please don't get yellow.......

If I were you, I would keep the SC because it's probably paid off and you don't have to worry about payments. Plus, IS's cost alot when compared to the SC's as they will run you in the lower 20,000's for a nice one that is not salvaged.

Then again, I like the IS alot. It's up to you, but you need to see where you stand as far as money is concerned. WOuld you rather drive a car that is paid off or make monthly payments?

Last edited by Wald GS; 09-20-03 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-21-03, 04:03 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'd keep the SC. Imho, the body style will eventually be seen as the sort of classic look of the sort one assoc. with the old Jag E-types and was one of Lexus' most succesful attempts at a seamless integration of form/function/utility. As coupes go, the back seat is modestly useable (and was definitely the most functional of what was available back then). The trunk is also decent. And the 300 is better balanced than the 400 was, having less weight over the front wheels. The interior materials are far more luxurious than those of the IS.

What it doesn't have is the sort of lightweight, flingable feel of the IS; if handling is your top priority, the IS has it all over the coupe. And there is more room, though that back seat is still pretty small when you are talking about adult seating.

Personally, I'd go with the Coupe, but then, I've had two and so could be accused of bias. But, though I really think the IS is fun, the 1st gen Coupe still turns my head when I see one go by and makes part of me wish I'd never sold my SC300 5 spd.

And I agree with other posters; if you go for the IS, don't do yellow!!! It's actually a very attractive version of yellow but, if nothing else, you'll stand out EVEN MORE than a red car when those boys in blue start looking for speeders...............

Last edited by mooretorque; 09-21-03 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 07:19 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i love the is300 but i'd keep the sc3 and do it up unless like others said u need a bigger car 4 family or something, u probably have more inside u'r sc now than the is3 has bigger trunk too, mayb
Old 09-21-03, 09:00 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC...

Originally posted by SilverBolt 219
LOL, some one was bored... I personally would say stay with the SC and mod it if that is what you were looking for... I like the IS's but I love the SC's more, yes the IS's have more aftermarket support and what not but there are also ALOT more on the road... I like to have a car that is rare on the road... GL on your whatever you do...

Just my 2 cents
Shawn
Old 09-21-03, 10:05 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Turbo SC....

nothing compares man.
Old 09-21-03, 05:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had to go take you a picture

this is why you keep an SC...
its half price of doing it on a IS
Attached Thumbnails Help SilverBolt w/ a BIG decision... Keep the SC or join the IS crew??-scturbo.jpg  
Old 09-21-03, 08:38 PM
TurboSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by awj
Turbo SC....

nothing compares man.
you called? jk

I say since you already have the SC somewhat done up throw a turbo on her! The IS is nice, but like Manaray say it has that luxery ricer apeal and most people that have them apear to be immature ala is300.net..

It is all what you really want to do though since you are going to be the one that has to drive it everyday.
Old 09-22-03, 01:36 AM
kellslexus
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Do exactly the opposite of what everyone thinks you should do. Who cares, you like yellow? Get yellow. Want to keep your old car? Do that then. Don't let everyone make up your mind for you. However, if I were in your shoes, I would ditch the old car, get the IS in whatever color I wanted, and forget about the mods. Take into consideration that this is coming from a person who doesn't give a ***** about mods. All I need is some tint, an amp and two 12's to keep me happy.
Old 09-22-03, 08:22 AM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

the SC is a nicer looking car. IS looks like a civic to me. I hate it. It looks so narrow, no lines no curves no sex appeal at all. It's just something about the SC when you look at it all clean with 19's on ant it just looks back at you. The back of the sc is just sexy right there. Also the sc's internals are stronger than the is.

Quick Reply: Help SilverBolt w/ a BIG decision... Keep the SC or join the IS crew??