Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Lexus push online sales, dealer only for delivery

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-21, 06:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts
Default Toyota Lexus push online sales, dealer only for delivery

Good moves.

Toyota, Lexus Upgrade Tools So You Can Buy New Cars 100% Online

Toyota's SmartPath and Lexus's Monogram systems are expanding to a lot more dealers, meaning you only have to show up at a dealership if you really want to.

BY SEBASTIAN BLANCO
FEB 7, 2021
NURPHOTOGETTY IMAGES
  • Toyota's SmartPath is meant to let shoppers buy online and have their vehicle delivered from their local dealership without ever needing to go there in person. Or, they can start shopping online, then go in and haggle.
  • Only around 50 Toyota dealers use SmartPath today, but that number will double this spring.
  • Lexus is involved in this, too, with a similar program called Monogram. Only a few dealers use Monogram, but Lexus will "aggressively accelerate availability through 2021."
Toyota customers like smart things. Lexus drivers prefer to have their things monogrammed. That's one way to look at an upgraded online car-shopping service the two brands are offering to U.S. Lexus and Toyota shoppers. The online tool is functionally similar no matter if you're looking for a new IS or a fresh Prius, but Lexus calls its service Monogram while Toyota's is called SmartPath.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35438019/toyota-smartpath-tool-online-dealership-car-buying/

Old 02-07-21, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can understand dealer-only pickup. Normally, at a dealership, when you finalize a sale and/or take delivery, you have to sign dozens of forms. (I know....I just went through it again LOL). I wonder how you do that if or when when taking delivery at home?....I'm assuming that one of the Dealership's Finance Officers is not going to ride out with the vehicle, carry a suitcase full of forms, and sit at your dining room table with you while you put your John Hancock on all that paperwork.

That said, however, I have heard of cases of where new vehicles were delivered to private homes for delivery....so, apparently they have worked out some kind of alternate-system for all that paperwork, which we may (?) see more of in the future.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-07-21 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-07-21, 07:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Very hard to buy a car online without going into a showroom.
What i wish more automakers had are Test out stores like Tesla - where u can experience the cars and choose which fits you best without a salesperson but a product knowledge rep.

If you have a family- Toyota offers many choices such as RAV4, Highlander, Venza, etc. How do u test these cars out properly especially if you’re not a “car” person.
Old 02-07-21, 07:01 PM
DenMitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Normally, at a dealership, when you finalize a sale and/or take delivery, you have to sign dozens of forms. (I know....I just went through it again LOL). I wonder how you do that when taking delivery at home?....I'm assuming that one of the Dealership's Finance Officers is not going to ride out with the vehicle, carry a suitcase full of forms, and sit at your dining room table with you while you put your John Hancock on all that paperwork.
In October I purchased a Land Cruiser 100% online through a local Toyota dealer. Four hours and a few emails back and forth and the sales person was at my home to drop the vehicle off. I signed the normal paperwork outside and that was it. One of the easiest transactions I've completed in a while and I was able to avoid going to the dealership altogether.
Old 02-07-21, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DenMitch
In October I purchased a Land Cruiser 100% online through a local Toyota dealer. Four hours and a few emails back and forth and the sales person was at my home to drop the vehicle off. I signed the normal paperwork outside and that was it. One of the easiest transactions I've completed in a while and I was able to avoid going to the dealership altogether.

Congratulations on your Land Cruiser. ....and welcome to CL as a new poster.

You were perhaps fortunate to get it when you did.......Toyota has plans to drop the Land Cruiser in the American market, leaving the Lexus LX as its alternate. Since you are new to the forum, we have had some talk.......and threads.....about that issue.

As you were posting, I was (coincidentally) editing my earlier post to add that I had heard of cases where new vehicles were delivered to private homes.....and then your post came up to add one more instance.
Old 02-07-21, 07:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can understand dealer-only pickup. Normally, at a dealership, when you finalize a sale and/or take delivery, you have to sign dozens of forms. (I know....I just went through it again LOL). I wonder how you do that if or when when taking delivery at home?....I'm assuming that one of the Dealership's Finance Officers is not going to ride out with the vehicle, carry a suitcase full of forms, and sit at your dining room table with you while you put your John Hancock on all that paperwork.

That said, however, I have heard of cases of where new vehicles were delivered to private homes for delivery....so, apparently they have worked out some kind of alternate-system for all that paperwork, which we may (?) see more of in the future.
as you know, i recently purchased a lexus. as you also know, i'm in florida, and i bought the car from a dealer in missouri (plaza lexus, recommended). They fedex'ed me a packet of about 10 pages to sign at a notary and return in their pre-paid fedex envelope. Piece of cake. So i never visited the dealer. I never test drove the car. I never met anyone from the dealer. Worked it all out via text, email, phonecalls, and finally signing those papers and wiring money. Not exactly complicated.
Old 02-07-21, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
as you know, i recently purchased a lexus. as you also know, i'm in florida, and i bought the car from a dealer in missouri (plaza lexus, recommended). They fedex'ed me a packet of about 10 pages to sign at a notary and return in their pre-paid fedex envelope. Piece of cake. So i never visited the dealer. I never test drove the car. I never met anyone from the dealer. Worked it all out via text, email, phonecalls, and finally signing those papers and wiring money. Not exactly complicated.

I didn't know (or had just forgotten) you had gotten it from a dealership in Missouri. So much talk has gone on in Car Chat about your new LC, Steve's new S560, Jill's new 4Runner, my new Encore GX, and several other new vehicles among CL members that it's hard to remember all the details.
Old 02-07-21, 10:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

This only works if you already know how a car drives and have narrowed it down to a specific one. But usually, the average person does not know and needs to drive or see several brands and makes to figure it out. I feel this article and method only speaks to the auto educated, or auto enthusiast, who is advanced enough to be past the first steps I listed above.

Old 02-07-21, 10:50 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

how much discount and haggling though?

if they can cut it to below dealer invoice, sure, I'll buy online.
Old 02-08-21, 04:38 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

I got my CT200h back in January of last year (pre COVID-19), and other than the fact that I wanted to drive the vehicle that I was going to buy first, virtually every piece of paper that was needed was done online apart from one final signature upon pickup at the dealer and they offered to bring it to my home if needed.
Old 02-08-21, 06:53 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

This really is nothing new. 20 years ago I ordered a new PT Cruiser built to my specs (getting every option except an automatic transmission) from a dealer about 120 miles away. It was delivered to my house on a rollback and the papers were signed in my dining room.
Old 02-08-21, 07:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriC
This really is nothing new. 20 years ago I ordered a new PT Cruiser built to my specs (getting every option except an automatic transmission) from a dealer about 120 miles away.
You must have waited some time for it. That vehicle, back then, was in high demand, short supply, and there were mark-ups over list.

It was delivered to my house on a rollback and the papers were signed in my dining room.
That probably wouldn't work where I live, for several reasons. Bitkahuna, if you read his post, got around that by having the forms Fed-Ex-ed to him, him signing them with a Notary, and then returning them.

Maybe a little off-topic, but that's one of many things I miss about my late mother....in addition to being an IRS-trained Tax-Assistant, she was a licensed Notary in the State of Virginia, and could do (and often did) signatures for us. I still have her official Notary-Seal in my folder of her estate papers (I was her Executor)...but, of course, cannot legally use it. The Probate-Court, on her passing, when I asked, said that they didn't need it back.....just keep it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-21 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-08-21, 07:43 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

It wasn't too bad. The car was ordered at the very end of October 2000. It was built on 12/12/2000 and delivered on 1/15/2001. The purchase price was MSRP, a great number at the time.
Old 02-08-21, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TriC
It wasn't too bad. The car was ordered at the very end of October 2000. It was built on 12/12/2000 and delivered on 1/15/2001. The purchase price was MSRP, a great number at the time.

Yes, if you paid retail for a new PT Cruiser back then, you made out like a bandit. I know people that paid as much as $6000 over list for them....they were willing to do it, they had the money in the bank, and they wanted the car.
Old 02-08-21, 09:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I like it. Should streamline the process.

I bought my Tacoma online. After months of test driving, I knew exactly what I wanted. I was able to haggle a great price and fill out the applications and such online. I started this process around noon and the truck was delivered to my driveway by about 4 pm. He had an iPad with him so I signed all of the documents on there (took about 15 minutes), then he emailed me the files. Easily one of the best purchase experiences I've ever had.

Quick Reply: Toyota Lexus push online sales, dealer only for delivery