Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 09:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I would say its ugly, but honestly every new truck I thought was hideous when I first saw it but they have all grown on me.

As for the Ridgeline...if you're gonna buy a truck buy a real truck, not a crossover with a bed. Ridgeline, Maverick, wouldn't be for me.
Old 06-19-21, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have to (at least partly) apologize, gadgetman....I partly misread your earlier post. I thought you were talking about interest in a new Tacoma, not Tundra...I still sometimes confuse the two even today. I would not have mentioned the small crossover Maverick and Santa Cruz in relation to the Tundra, although it is also stretching it to even compare them to the Tacoma as well.
Old 06-19-21, 11:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS

As for the Ridgeline...if you're gonna buy a truck buy a real truck, not a crossover with a bed. Ridgeline, Maverick, wouldn't be for me.

I wouldn't call the Ridgeline a true crossover...its unique body/frame, which you won't find on any other truck, combines monocoque (unibody) with partial-elements of a frame-rail set-up.

Maverick and Santa Cruz.....yes, like the former Subaru Baja, those are definitely crossovers with small beds.
Old 06-19-21, 01:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I like it. Give me one in the Army Green paint. Sucks the V8 is gone but it is what it is, I guess. I'm not surprised with Toyota. The numbers this TTV6 are putting out are nothing to scoff at, it will perform well. Boy that 5.7 sure did have a great sound and feel, though.

When GM stops making V8s then it's officially over for 8 cylinders IMO.
Old 06-19-21, 02:47 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

I blame Dodge for starting the "giant-grill" trend on 1/2-ton pickups in the early 2000's! Each successive generation of models in all brands has gotten more and more extreme in this regard. They're all chasing each other to see who can style the biggest, meanest, macho grill. It has evolved to absurdity...give it a rest already!

I prefer a lower, smaller grill for aerodynamics/mpg's, safety in general, and specifically for pedestrian safety. Manufacturer's designers must make the environment a top priority going forward. With the popularity in 1/2-ton trucks in this country, great strides can be made in conservation by making these behemoths more fuel efficient.

You know what they say...big grill = small *****
Old 06-19-21, 03:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

then go buy a ridgeline. More fuel efficient? Barely A ridgeline gets 18/24, my V8 Ram gets 15/21. Only a 3 mpg difference despite a huge difference in size and engine.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-19-21 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-19-21, 03:46 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Only a 3 mpg difference despite a huge difference in size and engine.
A 12% gain is nothing to sneeze at. I wonder how much better your Ram mileage would be with a lower hood and smaller grill.

When Toyota was re-designing the Tundra five years ago, they touted how fuel efficient it would be to compete with the F150. Maybe they lost their way, or maybe they think they can get by with a V6, as long as it looks tough. I'm OK with a V6 if it is equivalent in HP/Torque to the V8, to get better fuel economy, but I'm not sure I can live with the front facade. If not, I'll consider the Ridgeline.
Old 06-19-21, 05:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't call the Ridgeline a true crossover...its unique body/frame, which you won't find on any other truck, combines monocoque (unibody) with partial-elements of a frame-rail set-up.
Its a unibody vehicle, its not a truck.
Old 06-19-21, 06:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

A Ridgeline is not a truck lol.

I may have missed it but they're saying 3mpg gain on new Tundra? That's pretty good. But will it pan out towing, heavy into the gas, etc. is the question.

I don't like these downsized engines but if it's all we can get anymore I'm trying to get in the spirit. 490lb/ft of torque is quite healthy.

I have noticed for better or for worse it is getting a LOT of attention. People like their Tundras just like other guys like their F-150s.
Old 06-19-21, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123​
​​​​A Ridgeline is not a truck lol.
It's a truck with a unique structure shared by no other truck...see my link below.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its a unibody vehicle, its not a truck.

No. It is not a traditional unibody. It is just what I said it was......a combination unibody/frame-rail, unique in the pickup business.

This, from Motor Trend.........

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...-untold-story/

“From the front of this vehicle to the back, we have framerails, just like any other truck would have,” says Kerry McClure, Honda chief engineer for the Ridgeline. “The body itself—instead of being bolted onto that framerail structure—is integrated so the floor panel sits on top of it and it is all welded together.” That’s right, the Honda Ridgeline utilizes boxed framerails in a “three-bone” or “y-bone” configuration underneath the unibody.

What’s the big difference between a body-on-frame and a unibody welded on rails? In the case of the Honda Ridgeline, it is how it is attached. A traditional body-on-frame pickup body is bolted to the frame with rubber bushings separating the two pieces, with the bed and cab being two separate entities. This helps with noise and vibration reduction for the cabin, but the rubber-bushing layer reduces the rigidity of the vehicle as a whole.
With a unibody cabin and bed welded to the framerail structure, one might assume that if you overload the bed, it might bend the truck in half due to the weight. This has largely been a benefit of a body-on-frame design—it allows more flexibility and for the cabin to torque. McClure says Honda has additional engineering to prevent that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-19-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-19-21, 06:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Not a Ridgeline thread folks, back to the Tundra
Old 06-19-21, 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Bitkahuna, you nailed it! I just watched Consumer Reports Talking Cars this morning & they talked specifically about this so-called truck styling. They found that since the year 2000, truck hood heights are up 11% & they are 55” off the ground. Trucks were also found to be 24% heavier from 200-2018 - that’s insane! All of this macho style has created a huge safety issue of being unable to see over the damn hood. It’s also a big factor in crashes with much smaller vehicles. There is just no justification, other than off road clearance that warrants having such a big, tall front on these trucks. It’s just stupid ugly & doesn’t benefit the vehicle in any way. I ride motorcycles also & there is nothing worse than having a 4WD truck behind you at night, blinding you with its headlights & knowing that they can’t see a damn thing over the hood of their beast.
thanks gadgetan1

Yes some of these trucks now look like absurd 'layer cakes' from the front.

I think there should be regulations or taxation against such abominations.

Old 06-20-21, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes some of these trucks now look like absurd 'layer cakes' from the front.
I think some of that is intentional, as, al else equal, horizontal styling-effects like that give the truck a wider, somewhat more macho look than it would have with vertical-effects.

I think there should be regulations or taxation against such abominations.
Look at the Bill of Sale on a truck like that and see what you are already paying in sales-taxes, just to take one home.

And, getting back to the Tundra (per Dave's request).....personally subjective, of course, but I don't see how the Silverado looks any more awkward in front than this.....which, IMO, reminds me of a classic English Bulldog.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-20-21 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-20-21, 10:57 AM
southernx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Holden Special Vehicles Maloo Australia

Built to thrill

An adrenalin-pumping 410kW of power and 691Nm of torque makes the GEN-F2 Maloo R8 LSA a machine that will make your heart pound. Of course, the increases in power and torque aren’t the only things about the Maloo R8 LSA’s 6.2 litre, supercharged LSA V8 that will get your heart racing. Press the throttle and the re-calibrated bi-modal twin exhaust system with quad outlets will roar to life with a soundtrack no rock band could ever beat.
Old 06-20-21, 11:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Not a Ridgeline thread folks, back to the Tundra
Asking again, this is a Tundra thread, not a Holden thread, not a Chevy thread. Let's keep on topic please

Quick Reply: Future Tundra