Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 12:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

I want to read a road test ASAP.
Old 06-20-21, 06:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Woof, Tacoma and 4Runner had a crazy night and the COVID baby is this Tundra. I can see how it kind of makes sense since the Taco is definitely the image leader of the two truck lines, opposite of all other brands with a Big and Medium sized truck.

I wish they had kept the TRD PRO stamping on the bedside rather than the tailgate, keep the tailgate clean.

Also find the marker lamps a bit poseur-ish, as I don't think the Tundra, even in TRD Pro form, is going to be wide enough to warrant them a la Raptor and TRX.
Old 06-20-21, 06:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
And, getting back to the Tundra (per Dave's request).....personally subjective, of course, but I don't see how the Silverado looks any more awkward in front than this.....which, IMO, reminds me of a classic English Bulldog.

Should be noted that this is an early photoshop and not the actual new Tundra.
Old 06-20-21, 07:13 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

now that you said english bulldog, I can't unsee it.
Old 06-20-21, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow1118
now that you said english bulldog, I can't unsee it.
A number of recent Toyotas have had that basic Bulldog look up front. It seems to be a company thing.....although as pbm317 noted, it might not look exactly like that in final production-spec.
Old 06-21-21, 09:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

The cat is out of the bag, fully release the damn thing. I think we've earned it, the current one is only 14 years old....
Old 06-21-21, 09:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
A Ridgeline is not a truck lol.

I may have missed it but they're saying 3mpg gain on new Tundra? That's pretty good. But will it pan out towing, heavy into the gas, etc. is the question.

I don't like these downsized engines but if it's all we can get anymore I'm trying to get in the spirit. 490lb/ft of torque is quite healthy.

I have noticed for better or for worse it is getting a LOT of attention. People like their Tundras just like other guys like their F-150s.
+3mpg basically brings it up to what the other big truck makers have, the ram is 15/21, outgoing tundra is 13/18. Stay off the turbo boost though because mileage is going to tank like it does on the ecoboost. That is the major issue with turbo engines.

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
A 12% gain is nothing to sneeze at. I wonder how much better your Ram mileage would be with a lower hood and smaller grill.

When Toyota was re-designing the Tundra five years ago, they touted how fuel efficient it would be to compete with the F150. Maybe they lost their way, or maybe they think they can get by with a V6, as long as it looks tough. I'm OK with a V6 if it is equivalent in HP/Torque to the V8, to get better fuel economy, but I'm not sure I can live with the front facade. If not, I'll consider the Ridgeline.
trucks would look like total garbage if you made them with a lower hood relative to the bed height. The hoods line tend to match up with the bed height. Try to draw a picture and youll see it.

they get "better" mpg ratings because turbos juice the govt testing when they run off boost. However in the real world, get on boost or start towing and the V6 turbos tank in mileage unless driven perfectly. Ecoboost towing makes worse mileage than competitors V8s. TFL Truck did a towing mpg test and the ecoboost hybrid made 6.5 mpg on their tow test, the Hemi V8 Ram made 8.5mpg on the same test. There is a reason why people call Ecoboost "Eco or Boost" you dont get both. New Tundra engine wont be any different.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 06-21-21 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-21-21, 10:02 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
+3mpg basically brings it up to what the other big truck makers have, the ram is 15/21, outgoing tundra is 13/18. Stay off the turbo boost though because mileage is going to tank like it does on the ecoboost. That is the major issue with turbo engines.
I think that was about the Ridgeline with the 18/23 where we got sidetracked. In any case, who cares about a Ridgeline.... I'm not a fan of downsized turbo engines, this Toyota 3.5tt I've experienced in the LS500...it's potent but there is turbo lag and it doesn't sound good or refined...at all.

they get better mpg ratings because turbos juice the govt testing when they run off boost. However in the real world, get on boost or start towing and the V6 turbos tank in mileage unless driven perfectly. Ecoboost towing makes worse mileage than competitors V8s. TFL Truck did a towing mpg test and the ecoboost hybrid made 6.5 mpg on their tow test, the Hemi V8 Ram made 8.5mpg on the same test. There is a reason why people call Ecoboost "Eco or Boost" you dont get both. New Tundra engine wont be any different.
Yes I own a vehicle with the Toyota 5.7, it is a beast of an engine and I love it, how butch it is. It really gives my truck a personality. Terrible MPG but I don't care, that's literally the only "negative" about it. With the turbo trucks, drivers are heavily into the boost which tanks the MPG. I agree the Tundra V6tt won't be any different.

There is no replacement for displacement, I will argue that until I'm blue in the face or dead.
Old 06-22-21, 07:11 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Interior Tease - Large screen and a racing style steering wheel with the top center mark.

Old 06-22-21, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Should have a nice big screen. I also notice that they put the grab handle back on the driver's side A-pillar, something that is missing on the current Tundra (and Tacoma).
Old 06-22-21, 08:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Should have a nice big screen. I also notice that they put the grab handle back on the driver's side A-pillar, something that is missing on the current Tundra (and Tacoma).
Yes noticed that (grab handle) as well! Must have shored up the structure to allow for it to return.
Old 06-22-21, 08:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It looks like the dropping of the I-Force 5.7 V8 on the 2022 Tundra is a significant incentive for buyers to scoop up the remaining 2021 models. I suspect that JDR76 and gadgetman are far from alone in their views (or interest), both on the forum and in the general public at large.
Old 06-22-21, 08:27 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

trucks would look like total garbage if you made them with a lower hood relative to the bed height. The hoods line tend to match up with the bed height. Try to draw a picture and youll see it.

they get "better" mpg ratings because turbos juice the govt testing when they run off boost. However in the real world, get on boost or start towing and the V6 turbos tank in mileage unless driven perfectly. Ecoboost towing makes worse mileage than competitors V8s. TFL Truck did a towing mpg test and the ecoboost hybrid made 6.5 mpg on their tow test, the Hemi V8 Ram made 8.5mpg on the same test. There is a reason why people call Ecoboost "Eco or Boost" you dont get both. New Tundra engine wont be any different.
I think you’re absolutely correct. I’m puzzled as to why Toyota keeps ignoring putting their excellent twin turbo diesel in the Tundra. The GM straight 6 3.0 Duramax is a phenomenal engine. It gets great mpg; has a smooth, linear power curve & it’s super quiet. Toyota hasn’t had a diesel in the consumer American market in decades & that’s just dumb. A 6 cylinder turbo diesel has enough low-end torque to keep most folks from flogging & wasting fuel. I could possibly ignore some Tundra ugly with a silky Toyota twin turbo diesel. That would be the best of all worlds, power, smoothness, good mpg, reliability & macho looks.
Old 06-22-21, 09:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It looks like the dropping of the I-Force 5.7 V8 on the 2022 Tundra is a significant incentive for buyers to scoop up the remaining 2021 models. I suspect that JDR76 and gadgetman are far from alone in their views (or interest), both on the forum and in the general public at large.
Oh yeah, and the fact that dealers don't seem to be bending much says something too. On a 14 year old platform. It's old but good.
Old 06-22-21, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Oh yeah, and the fact that dealers don't seem to be bending much says something too. On a 14 year old platform. It's old but good.
A lot of that is scarcity in general.

Quick Reply: Future Tundra