Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 09:36 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Just sold my 2011 4wd Tundra, smaller 4.6 V8. Kind of disappointed with that truck, it wasn't built as tight as my previous 2004 Tacoma. Rattled like crazy despite 85k miles on it vs the rattle free 200k 2004 Tacoma. Also the front suspension needed a rebuild at 85k, ball joints were squeaking, made a bunch of clunking noises at low speeds. Also the 13-15mpg sucked, should have bought one with the big 5.7 V8, as it was rated at 1 worse MPG, probably about the same since you didn't have to work it as hard to keep the same speed.

Really I wish Toyota had offered that twin turbo diesel V8 in the Tundra, like they sold in overseas 200 series Land Cruisers. Gets 24mpg in Land Cruiser Aussie spec, if I converted my units right. As for this rumors of twin turbo V6, I'm sure it will be reliable past 200k, cause that's just how Toyota designs things. My main fear is once you reach that mile limit, stuff like turbo replacement is going to be stupid expensive. Added complexity also equals less reliability, just more crap to break with a turbo engine. Think charge pipes, intercooler, blow off valves, the turbos themselves, turbo oil lines, increased heat under the hood.
Old 02-11-21, 09:56 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just sold my 2011 4wd Tundra, smaller 4.6 V8. Kind of disappointed with that truck, it wasn't built as tight as my previous 2004 Tacoma. Rattled like crazy despite 85k miles on it vs the rattle free 200k 2004 Tacoma. Also the front suspension needed a rebuild at 85k, ball joints were squeaking, made a bunch of clunking noises at low speeds. Also the 13-15mpg sucked, should have bought one with the big 5.7 V8, as it was rated at 1 worse MPG, probably about the same since you didn't have to work it as hard to keep the same speed.

Really I wish Toyota had offered that twin turbo diesel V8 in the Tundra, like they sold in overseas 200 series Land Cruisers. Gets 24mpg in Land Cruiser Aussie spec, if I converted my units right. As for this rumors of twin turbo V6, I'm sure it will be reliable past 200k, cause that's just how Toyota designs things. My main fear is once you reach that mile limit, stuff like turbo replacement is going to be stupid expensive. Added complexity also equals less reliability, just more crap to break with a turbo engine. Think charge pipes, intercooler, blow off valves, the turbos themselves, turbo oil lines, increased heat under the hood.
That turbo diesel is sweet, isn’t it?! If Toyota was smart, they would introduce that diesel with a hybrid.

I don’t understand where Toyota’s brains are right now. The old RX was bulletproof, the latest generation has issues, but none real serious. They are just annoying. The Tacoma has had some mechanical issues & was taken off the CR recommended list. The Tundra is just OLD & a gas hog. I don’t like the looks of the new RAV4 & the excitement over this new Tundra is lackluster at best. Nissan has now picked up ZF transmissions & that shows some promise.
Old 02-11-21, 10:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
That turbo diesel is sweet, isn’t it?! If Toyota was smart, they would introduce that diesel with a hybrid.

I don’t understand where Toyota’s brains are right now. The old RX was bulletproof, the latest generation has issues, but none real serious. They are just annoying. The Tacoma has had some mechanical issues & was taken off the CR recommended list. The Tundra is just OLD & a gas hog. I don’t like the looks of the new RAV4 & the excitement over this new Tundra is lackluster at best. Nissan has now picked up ZF transmissions & that shows some promise.
The new Rav4 is actually pretty damn nice, I personally love the butched up/angular look. That's what mom replaced her old 2012 Camry V6 with. While it isn't stupidly fast like the Camry, its pretty much a better car in all respects for less $$$$ if you adjust for inflation. Refinement/road noise/ride, that sort of thing is leagues better on her 2019 Rav4. Not to mention a lot more room. I get why people are trading in their sedans for SUV's, as you no longer have to trade off refinement, handling, or gas mileage when you get an SUV.
Old 02-12-21, 07:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The new Rav4 is actually pretty damn nice, I personally love the butched up/angular look. That's what mom replaced her old 2012 Camry V6 with. While it isn't stupidly fast like the Camry, its pretty much a better car in all respects for less $$$$ if you adjust for inflation. Refinement/road noise/ride, that sort of thing is leagues better on her 2019 Rav4. Not to mention a lot more room. I get why people are trading in their sedans for SUV's, as you no longer have to trade off refinement, handling, or gas mileage when you get an SUV.
My parents have a 19 RAV4 Limited Hybrid and my sister liked it so much she traded in her Murano for a 20 RAV4 Limited Hybrid. I agree with you, they are really nice. People on CL rip on them all of the time, but I think they are great and I'd happily own one. So many nice features, comfortable, roomy, and well built, plus great mileage. I'm always thoroughly impressed when I drive it.
Old 02-12-21, 07:50 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Am I the only odd ball that buys a vehicle for what it does regardless of what it looks like?

I bought a tundra Trd pro for the Engine, suspension, space and reliability. My phone has all the tech I need, and the don’t need it in a truck to. A heater, ac windows that work, a horn and some mirrors is all the tech needed If the new tundra is more capable than the old I’ll buy one too. If it’s not I’ll keep it the one I have.

looking forward to see what Toyota actually did to improve the truck. Looks are a long ways from mattering.
Old 02-12-21, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

I would put the chance of a diesel new tundra at zero or slightly less.
Old 02-12-21, 09:35 PM
winterturb
Lead Lap

Received 169 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I would put the chance of a diesel new tundra at zero or slightly less.
Im convinced the big three lobby are keeping it out of the country. If There was a tundra diesel Ram and Chevy would be in trouble fast.
Old 02-12-21, 11:45 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I have some new information on 780B program, aka new Tundra.

I got a new Job 1 date of October 4, 2021 via manufacturing scheduling, which matched what I claimed in 2019. However, another claim is that there might be a delay to Q2 2022 launch, in June 2022. That means a 6 month delay from December 2021 launch. Stay tuned, as I had eyes on the October 4, 2021 date on Friday. The other tidbit, I am verifying with as many contacts as possible.

2022 RAV4 MMC is also the same date. 2022 Avalon MMC Job 1 on July 5, 2021 and 2022 4Runner is August 2, 2021, ditto for 2022 Sequoia. MY 2023 are redesigns of latter. More to come.
Old 02-12-21, 11:49 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by winterturb
Im convinced the big three lobby are keeping it out of the country. If There was a tundra diesel Ram and Chevy would be in trouble fast.
Indeed, it was strongly in consideration for awhile I hear, which was shocking. Not the case going forward.
Old 02-13-21, 05:36 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I have some new information on 780B program, aka new Tundra.

I got a new Job 1 date of October 4, 2021 via manufacturing scheduling, which matched what I claimed in 2019. However, another claim is that there might be a delay to Q2 2022 launch, in June 2022. That means a 6 month delay from December 2021 launch. Stay tuned, as I had eyes on the October 4, 2021 date on Friday. The other tidbit, I am verifying with as many contacts as possible.

2022 RAV4 MMC is also the same date. 2022 Avalon MMC Job 1 on July 5, 2021 and 2022 4Runner is August 2, 2021, ditto for 2022 Sequoia. MY 2023 are redesigns of latter. More to come.
thank you for your insider info! I thought the 4Runner was slated for a 2022 calendar year release not this year?? Did that get pushed up?
Old 02-13-21, 05:53 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmaker1
I got a new Job 1 date of October 4, 2021 via manufacturing scheduling,
Job 1.. I remember a Ford advert in the 90s saying “Quality is Job 1” and it sounded kind of tone deaf. Now I know it’s a slick manufacturing engineering term used in new vehicle assembly. I guess “Operation Sequence 1730” isn’t as high-speed. Oh, sorry just heard the andon bell ringing, gotta take care of that right away! I’ll be back after doing some Kaizen stuff to eliminate muda and 5-Sing my work space!

Last edited by sdls; 02-13-21 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-13-21, 12:31 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
thank you for your insider info! I thought the 4Runner was slated for a 2022 calendar year release not this year?? Did that get pushed up?
And would this also possible affect the GX? Or does anyone know if/when there will be a new GX? I've seen some videos on Youtube giving dates for model changes of the GX, RX, etc., but not sure how reliable they are.
Old 02-13-21, 12:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Job 1.. I remember a Ford advert in the 90s saying “Quality is Job 1” and it sounded kind of tone deaf.!
Built Ford Tough is better.
Old 02-13-21, 02:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

If you got that PHEV RAV4, it would be even faster than that Camry which is pretty nice. I think they need to add that powertrain in the Camry and the next Lexus NX.

If they update this Tundra, will the Sequoia also be updated?
Old 02-13-21, 02:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
If you got that PHEV RAV4, it would be even faster than that Camry which is pretty nice. I think they need to add that powertrain in the Camry and the next Lexus NX.

If they update this Tundra, will the Sequoia also be updated?
Its not faster once the its out of dedicated EV mode. It then just drives as a regular hybrid.

Quick Reply: Future Tundra